The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 1/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

There is nothing like a v-twin (or is this an L-twin?)

Grrrr.... this is a pet hate of mine. L twin is some pretentious affection which Ducati seem to be forcing journalists to use to try and give them some sort of USP (is it because  their rivals BMW seem to be associated exclusively with the  flat twin?).

Moto Guzzi also use 90 degree V twins and see no reason to call them anything other than V's as God intended.

Short run out to the garage where my other scooter is trying to bankrupt me. 

IMG_20200125_123216.thumb.jpg.82013a8d8102245e12eb0c8c0ddc63ff.jpg

The wind shield must knock about 15mph off, but it got to a steady (indicated) 50mph without any drama. Going down the gears quickly was a bastard, basically nothing except all kinds of false neutrals, a real one, and then first gear eventually. 

1 hour ago, martc said:

Grrrr.... this is a pet hate of mine. L twin is some pretentious affection which Ducati seem to be forcing journalists to use to try and give them some sort of USP (is it because  their rivals BMW seem to be associated exclusively with the  flat twin?).

Moto Guzzi also use 90 degree V twins and see no reason to call them anything other than V's as God intended.

According to Up To Speed Ducati called it the L twin as they were trying to take on Hardley Movingson and supply bikes to the CHP....

35 minutes ago, andy18s said:

According to Up To Speed Ducati called it the L twin as they were trying to take on Hardley Movingson and supply bikes to the CHP....

Interesting, I guess neither were as successful as Kawasaki and their 'i4'.

23 hours ago, martc said:

Moto Guzzi also use 90 degree V twins and see no reason to call them anything other than V's as God 

I love my V-twins, or whatever the manafacturers want to designate the engine layout.

Shame the SV650 I had at the time was at work so could not include it in the line up photo.

Incidentally, I was riding over the Grossglockner pass in 2018 when it was closed to allow the Yamaha Niken press launch riders to come up to the top. The noise of scraping footpegs on a hairpin as each rider came round was great. All looked very, very stable.

20180701_142032.jpg

This is a bit of grim reading. My promise to myself of one day I'll come over and watch some may come to late :( Is there anything I'm missing trying to find cheap a ferry across if I did aim for one next year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/51176935

TLDR Road racing under pressure due to escalating costs of hosting events.

This is a bit of grim reading. My promise to myself of one day I'll come over and watch some may come to late  Is there anything I'm missing trying to find cheap a ferry across if I did aim for one next year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/51176935
TLDR Road racing under pressure due to escalating costs of hosting events.

I live about ten miles from the circuit, and am I big fan of road racing. However if it rains I won't head down the road because experience tells me most of the racing will be delayed or cancelled. Therefore I'll be stuck in a hedge somewhere, soaked through for no reason. I agree with their actions for safety reasons, but like I say no point heading over to see nothing.

This is a massive problem because the club relies almost entirely on spectator fees to cover costs.

The last two years the weather hasn't been great and spectator numbers have been low. Added to which the club (allegedly) hasn't been managed that well, and suddenly they are £200k (or more) in debt, including owing cash prizes to last year's winners and without the money in the bank to front this year's meeting.

What really doesn't help is that local council / government are only really interested in the NW200, and many of the local residents are opposed to the UGP.

If the event misses a couple of years it will be incredibly difficult to get support / permission to close the roads and run the meeting.

Another big issue is that club level road racing is in danger of being wiped out. Many young riders have a chance to learn the craft at slower / shorter tracks before heading over to the Isle of Man. You really want people to have done a season on the local road racing scene before going near the IOM......I would argue that hitting the TT with only circuit racing experience is an accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I'd opine that the TT looks much nicer to ride in many respects than quite a few other road racing courses, especially any of the Irish ones that feature 40 odd bikes riding in the pissing rain (the TT doesn't normally run in such conditions) or indeed the Southern 100 which is much narrower.

D to the P. What should I do with  my old motorbike? It's a 92 CBR 600, it still works, having been in use until last May but very well worn with knackered plastics, flakey wheels, and 75000 on the clocks (which are cracked). Do I weigh it in or is there any sort of demand for parts? It doesn't really owe me anything but I don't want to miss an opportunity to make a few quid on the bits.

1 hour ago, warch said:

D to the P. What should I do with  my old motorbike? It's a 92 CBR 600, it still works, having been in use until last May but very well worn with knackered plastics, flakey wheels, and 75000 on the clocks (which are cracked). Do I weigh it in or is there any sort of demand for parts? It doesn't really owe me anything but I don't want to miss an opportunity to make a few quid on the bits.

Hmm, I like the idea of doing my test on a knackered 75,000 mile CBR... 

where are you? 

Welsh borders unfortunately.  Is it worth putting it back together and flogging as a cheap runaround then? The reason I hesitate is because most bikes I see are mint, or very lightly badgered. I'd sort of rather let it go for a song if anyone wanted it as a shitebike.

5 minutes ago, warch said:

Welsh borders unfortunately.  Is it worth putting it back together and flogging as a cheap runaround then? The reason I hesitate is because most bikes I see are mint, or very lightly badgered. I'd sort of rather let it go for a song if anyone wanted it as a shitebike.

It will definitely be worth something just maybe not a lot, tidy ones have been climbing in price but the rest have stayed reasonably low. 

You'd probably get a 3/4 hundred out of it as a spares/project sale.

3 hours ago, warch said:

If it doesn’t go to people who have already posted I’d be interested in it as a complete machine to do the LDU/LDD on.

This was one of my earlier CBR600 shitebags that I commuted 600 miles a week on. It ran ok apart from the dragging clutch which was fun in London. And the silver paint on the tank just melted if it came into contact with petrol drops when filling up, leaving everything that touched it with a nice silver sheen.

Passed two MOT's in this state-run bolts holding the faring or panels on, just a selection of cable ties. Think it had 90,000 miles on the broken clocks too

If I could buy it back tomorrow, I would.

My Zip Tied CBR600(1).JPG