Jump to content

The Bikeshite Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

Armed with the knowledge it’s a bit of a job and a new in the packet air filter I set about the NC today. Filter was kindly dropped South by our esteemed French correspondent. I imagine book time for this service item is greater than his journey time from Old Trafford to Faringdon. 

Bare in mind I didn’t remove some panels one really should and rather tweaked them out of the way in the way you wouldn’t with a mint bike.
A ridiculous about of fastenings;

IMG_0186.jpeg.c4ef0bd0fadb2929050b052b292d2708.jpeg

Lots of shouldered Allen keys. Turns out there’s about 5 different types and they’re not all the same as chimp like me first thought. Add in the mix some 10mm bolts, screws and a plethora of plastic fasteners.

Some body work removed 

IMG_0184.jpeg.efb43a19cdcc4005fc2bbf848a44f609.jpeg

IMG_0185.jpeg.9fdefd541f091f4942026c63a33d0372.jpeg
That front silver panel came off in the end too. Well all apart from one bolt that I could loosen though not remove as went all spiny so spun the panel on it instead.

Genuine Honda filter was originally the same colour as the pattern replacement. It had kept the shite out as the box was clean. Would not be surprised if this was the one it left the factory with. 
31696505-B03C-411B-A3C7-61689CB5D185.jpeg.a758791a72f914f1b8e9293e58c48f6c.jpeg

Pulled the snorkel out because I am a child and Mr Honda don’t know shit. Am expecting MASSIVE power gains.

Glued and taped some plastics

IMG_0192.jpeg.597e1a573119e9de25c76bffeb48a83e.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg.ac673d540317d13408536996ba514378.jpeg

Removed some defunct electrical connection doings that fouled my knee when riding. Put a sticker over the resulting hole in the panel.

Spent far too much time putting it back together. Any thought of this been in any way an off road machine have been squashed by this filter servicing silliness. I rebuilt the forks in less time. 
 

At least it was worth doing. Plus intake growl GRRRRrrrrr

Posted
2 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Armed with the knowledge it’s a bit of a job and a new in the packet air filter I set about the NC today. Filter was kindly dropped South by our esteemed French correspondent. I imagine book time for this service item is greater than his journey time from Old Trafford to Faringdon. 

Bare in mind I didn’t remove some panels one really should and rather tweaked them out of the way in the way you wouldn’t with a mint bike.
A ridiculous about of fastenings;

IMG_0186.jpeg.c4ef0bd0fadb2929050b052b292d2708.jpeg

Lots of shouldered Allen keys. Turns out there’s about 5 different types and they’re not all the same as chimp like me first thought. Add in the mix some 10mm bolts, screws and a plethora of plastic fasteners.

Some body work removed 

IMG_0184.jpeg.efb43a19cdcc4005fc2bbf848a44f609.jpeg

IMG_0185.jpeg.9fdefd541f091f4942026c63a33d0372.jpeg
That front silver panel came off in the end too. Well all apart from one bolt that I could loosen though not remove as went all spiny so spun the panel on it instead.

Genuine Honda filter was originally the same colour as the pattern replacement. It had kept the shite out as the box was clean. Would not be surprised if this was the one it left the factory with. 
31696505-B03C-411B-A3C7-61689CB5D185.jpeg.a758791a72f914f1b8e9293e58c48f6c.jpeg

Pulled the snorkel out because I am a child and Mr Honda don’t know shit. Am expecting MASSIVE power gains.

Glued and taped some plastics

IMG_0192.jpeg.597e1a573119e9de25c76bffeb48a83e.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg.ac673d540317d13408536996ba514378.jpeg

Removed some defunct electrical connection doings that fouled my knee when riding. Put a sticker over the resulting hole in the panel.

Spent far too much time putting it back together. Any thought of this been in any way an off road machine have been squashed by this filter servicing silliness. I rebuilt the forks in less time. 

Just goes to show that bikes arent designed to be home serviced anymore, imagine all the lovely book time that main stealers can charge for that 

  • Agree 3
Posted
2 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

Just goes to show that bikes arent designed to be home serviced anymore, imagine all the lovely book time that main stealers can charge for that 

It is without question the silliest bit of design I have found on a bike to date. They surely have made it that way intentionally. The profit margin on charge rather than cost of a service must be massive.
Call me cynical though nobody’s going in there to check they have the shiny filter they paid for either are they.

 

 

  • Sad 1
Posted
24 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

It is without question the silliest bit of design I have found on a bike to date. They surely have made it that way intentionally. The profit margin on charge rather than cost of a service must be massive.
Call me cynical though nobody’s going in there to check they have the shiny filter they paid for either are they.

 

 

Nail on the head mate, if if its not easy to check then whos going to?

Posted

The vfr1200 I had was the same level of bastard to change the filter. It got done when I bought it and I said I would sell the thing rather than do it again.

  • Like 1
Posted

Right, new tube, tyre levers and brake shoes arrived recently. Getting the wheel off wasn't a drama, the tyre put up a bit of a fight, but washing up liquid helped. There was a reasonable sized hole in the tube, did what I've done since a kid and chalked where the valve was to align the hole in the tube to where ever in the tyre was what caused it. Nothing doing, must have been a sharp thorn that came out again, or a stone or something.

The rim tape was shagged but luckily I had a new one that came with the new SS50 tyres and tubes I bought ages ago. Was a bit worried the new rim tape wasn't seated properly so rather than face another puncture in no time, I let the tube down and checked the tape, which was ok. Better safe than sorry. Was also worried about fitting the new shoes, I've always struggled with brakes, especially drums. Luckily a quick YouTube search helped me out and they went on fine. Can't say the same for putting the back wheel back on, it was a twat of a job and once done I realised (with the help of a mate on-line) that the sodding rear axle sleeve was on the van floor, so took the back wheel off, struggled and swore like a trooper before it eventually went back on. 

Sods law says the original shoes still had some life in them, but could have been glazed I suppose. The new budget ones have 'CG125' on the box so must be the same. Stopping power hasn't exactly increased much, so maybe I've wasted my time. Fuck it, they're done now.

Incidentally, whilst the wheel was off I cleaned the inner mudguard, sprayed some primer and black paint where I could and then replaced the number plate bracket bolts which are absolute bollocks to get to and had Allen bolts which were near impossible to get to to tighten, and put proper bolts in.

Anyhow, back together now and a short test ride made it seem all is good.

 

20260805_135019.jpg

20260805_140743.jpg

20260805_141655.jpg

20260805_143819.jpg

20260805_144037.jpg

20260805_144949.jpg

20260805_145054.jpg

20260805_151600.jpg

20260805_151632.jpg

20260808_145825.jpg

20260808_150500.jpg

20260808_151538.jpg

20260808_154544.jpg

20260808_162215.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Stinkwheel said:

Just because I could 

 

IMG_3570.jpeg

Can I play?  some are my son's 

IMG_20260713_164339.jpg

  • Like 3
Posted

151 miles today, finally made the route that the HD had a mishap on last time round and I had to go home the short way.

The roads between Shrewsbury and Newtown (over the top through Minsterley,  Churchstoke and Kerry) are made for bikes, you can be a bit of a hero without being stupid. MPG is real time, too. A good mix of 50mph-ish, 20/30 zones and flat out overtakes. Probably gave it more beans than ever before and it was spot on.

 

 

20260809_121040.jpg

20260809_121047.jpg

20260809_122643.jpg

20260809_123552.jpg

20260809_142903.jpg

20260809_150224.jpg

Screenshot_20260809_153531_Samsung Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20260809_161259_Samsung Browser.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

151 miles today, finally made the route that the HD had a mishap on last time round and I had to go home the short way.

The roads between Shrewsbury and Newtown (over the top through Minsterley,  Churchstoke and Kerry) are made for bikes, you can be a bit of a hero without being stupid. MPG is real time, too. A good mix of 50mph-ish, 20/30 zones and flat out overtakes. Probably gave it more beans than ever before and it was spot on.

 

 

20260809_121040.jpg

20260809_121047.jpg

20260809_122643.jpg

20260809_123552.jpg

20260809_142903.jpg

20260809_150224.jpg

Screenshot_20260809_153531_Samsung Browser.jpg

Screenshot_20260809_161259_Samsung Browser.jpg

What app is that please? 

Posted

Went to cafe des arts today cos the road run the do on a Sunday at marcon passes here

So lemon tea and chill20260809_141038.jpg.f220ad454af824e15188f2f98a60a283.jpg20260809_131955.jpg.df0cb10431ecf6788363a2d1d850a9be.jpg

Posted
10 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

What app is that please? 

It's just the AA route planner. You can put (I think) 4 or 5 'via' places into it so you can map out which way you'd like to go. I don't have it on my phone so not sure if you can use it as sat nav as such.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
On 08/08/2026 at 16:57, Cavcraft said:

Right, new tube, tyre levers and brake shoes arrived recently. Getting the wheel off wasn't a drama, the tyre put up a bit of a fight, but washing up liquid helped. There was a reasonable sized hole in the tube, did what I've done since a kid and chalked where the valve was to align the hole in the tube to where ever in the tyre was what caused it. Nothing doing, must have been a sharp thorn that came out again, or a stone or something.

The rim tape was shagged but luckily I had a new one that came with the new SS50 tyres and tubes I bought ages ago. Was a bit worried the new rim tape wasn't seated properly so rather than face another puncture in no time, I let the tube down and checked the tape, which was ok. Better safe than sorry. Was also worried about fitting the new shoes, I've always struggled with brakes, especially drums. Luckily a quick YouTube search helped me out and they went on fine. Can't say the same for putting the back wheel back on, it was a twat of a job and once done I realised (with the help of a mate on-line) that the sodding rear axle sleeve was on the van floor, so took the back wheel off, struggled and swore like a trooper before it eventually went back on. 

Sods law says the original shoes still had some life in them, but could have been glazed I suppose. The new budget ones have 'CG125' on the box so must be the same. Stopping power hasn't exactly increased much, so maybe I've wasted my time. Fuck it, they're done now.

Incidentally, whilst the wheel was off I cleaned the inner mudguard, sprayed some primer and black paint where I could and then replaced the number plate bracket bolts which are absolute bollocks to get to and had Allen bolts which were near impossible to get to to tighten, and put proper bolts in.

Anyhow, back together now and a short test ride made it seem all is good.

 

20260805_135019.jpg

20260805_140743.jpg

20260805_141655.jpg

20260805_143819.jpg

20260805_144037.jpg

20260805_144949.jpg

20260805_145054.jpg

20260805_151600.jpg

20260805_151632.jpg

20260808_145825.jpg

20260808_150500.jpg

20260808_151538.jpg

20260808_154544.jpg

20260808_162215.jpg

Such a cracking little bike this. Re reading has just reminded me I did a stoppie on my drum brakes cg, once. It was under extreme circumstance when I’d want und it up to 60 and a car pulled out. It never did it again,  cable stretch/glazed shoes? 
I’ve always binned off the standard rubber rim tape and redone it with gaffer. Nice big cross head to create the holes for valves/rim lock. Tear it so you’re using half the width of the roll. That bugger never moves out the way. 

  • Like 2
Posted

One thing I did notice was this bolt...

hondac200brakeplate.jpg.15be499ef540f735fd1dbb0b1aba500a.jpg

...moves about. It's as tight as I can see to get it and the split pin is in place, but the bolt moves. Is it supposed to? Seems to stop ok at low speeds.

Posted
1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

One thing I did notice was this bolt...

hondac200brakeplate.jpg.15be499ef540f735fd1dbb0b1aba500a.jpg

...moves about. It's as tight as I can see to get it and the split pin is in place, but the bolt moves. Is it supposed to? Seems to stop ok at low speeds.

Is the plate a new (reproduction) part or is it the original Honda one?

In my experience these used to have either a hex in the casting to take the bolt head to stop it spinning or they were threaded in the casting where the bolt goes through achieving the same thing.

I mean it wont matter the bolt spins as long as its anchored the thing, might eventually wear the hole or bolt though.

 

Posted
5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

One thing I did notice was this bolt...

hondac200brakeplate.jpg.15be499ef540f735fd1dbb0b1aba500a.jpg

...moves about. It's as tight as I can see to get it and the split pin is in place, but the bolt moves. Is it supposed to? Seems to stop ok at low speeds.

Is it a shoulder bolt? The nut and washer tighten down on the shoulder captivating the torque arm from the swinging arm which rotates on the shoulder for chain adjustment. Once the axle is tightened everything stays in place.

Posted

Fully floating rear drum? Got to deal with the extremes of intense off roadery. 
A 16 year old me forgot to put that bolt in on my AR80.
First thought was I’d seized it. Second that all the bits had some how jammed the clutch. 
Then I spotted brake rod twisted around the drum…

  • Like 2
Posted

Thanks for the replies. I think it's the standard Honda (original) set up, good point about the bolt head being in the right place to stop it spinning. Sort of feels like a washer is missing as the nut seems as tight as it will go, but there's still a gap hence the movement. Will have a better look later in week.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Screenshot_20260810_194501_Gallery.jpg.472d7e6c591adf454019e3f545c41513.jpg*this keeps happening (flan anyway)

  • Like 3
Posted

Managed to get out on the monster.

It's an acquired taste. At low revs it's like being sat on a tumble drier that has bricks in it.

As the revs rise it gets smoother.

I really like it.

You get lots of looks from the public.

  • Like 3
Posted
21 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Thanks for the replies. I think it's the standard Honda (original) set up, good point about the bolt head being in the right place to stop it spinning. Sort of feels like a washer is missing as the nut seems as tight as it will go, but there's still a gap hence the movement. Will have a better look later in week.

 

It is meant to have clearance and move so you can adjust the chain without slackening the torque arm. 

Posted
On 03/08/2026 at 12:17, andyberg said:

Had this for about a month now. I will admit I wasn’t too sure to start off with. Seemed to fall into corners and felt so lumpy ( never mind heavy). Anyhow done some research and found I needed to increase tyre pressure by about 4psi from standard 

Reminds me of the first Moto Guzzi I bought, a low mileage, V50 II from a reputable* dealer. The selling price included a fresh MoT and a full service.

Well, riding it home the handling was absolutely appalling, it wandered around in a straight line and then refused to go around corners unless forced to with the handle bars. As Barry Cade put it I was already writing the advert on my way home. Italian bikes were supposed to handle I thought, the MZ ETZ250 I'd p/exed for it was superb in the handling department compared to this thing.

Anyhow I somehow got home in one piece, abandoned it and went to bed. The following morning common sense prevailed, something must be wrong - it was, both tyres had less than 10psi in them! Remember it was bought 'fully serviced' and with a fresh MoT. Anyhow, with the correct pressures it handled as well as you would expect for an Italian bike. Advert cancelled.

Oh, and talking about changing air filters, it takes absolutely no time at all to change the Zero's.

Posted

Well, been offered to ride pillion to the Triumph factory tomorrow for a tour. Never been on a bike, going to be interesting. Feel free to give out advice as a pilloc....pillion passenger. Promise I wont lean the opposite way to the bike 🤣

  • Like 2
Posted
4 minutes ago, robt100 said:

Well, been offered to ride pillion to the Triumph factory tomorrow for a tour. Never been on a bike, going to be interesting. Feel free to give out advice as a pilloc....pillion passenger. Promise I wont lean the opposite way to the bike 🤣

Enjoy. It’s a great experience.

I personally like to have an arm around the rider and a hand on the rear grab rail if available. Gives support under acceleration and braking that way. 
Your trust needs to be 100% with the rider so lost importantly, just go with the flow. 
My first ride pillion on the back of an old RM250 motocross bike was what got me into bikes. I can clearly recall that one and every spirited pillion ride since.  
There’s something special about it that you don’t get when at the controls. It’s a bit like going on a rollercoaster. You just have to trust the process.

 

Posted
18 minutes ago, robt100 said:

Well, been offered to ride pillion to the Triumph factory tomorrow for a tour. Never been on a bike, going to be interesting. Feel free to give out advice as a pilloc....pillion passenger. Promise I wont lean the opposite way to the bike 🤣

What others said. And relax. Otherwise you won't enjoy it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...