Jump to content

Should I bother saving this 405?


Recommended Posts

Posted
Just now, D.E said:

Maxi?

Nope. Booted.

Posted
33 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I suppose I have a couple of other options.

1. Take it off her hands for free on the back of the recovery truck I have use of. Drive it straight to the bridge and trouser £150. 

2. Take it off her hands for free on the back of the recovery truck I have use of. Drive it straight to the storage yard I have use of too. Flog it on  here for £350.

Would there be much interest on here for option 2?

I can store it for a week or two and deliver it for a pre determined fee.

Location Wirral.

Posted
1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

Anyone brave enough to take a punt on the tarp challenge parked next to it?

Dolomite. 

  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1
Posted
2 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Dolomite. 

Close enough. Toledo.

  • Like 2
Posted
3 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Close enough. Toledo.

All in the roof line. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted

Yes, you should save that 405. They are disappearing fast.

Let us know when you pick up!

  • Like 2
Posted
6 hours ago, warren t claim said:

pugsave2.png.2a0180aaaeffc7ba2c938fb4bfc3f0de.png

Happier times for the 405.

House looks very original too!

Posted
6 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Would there be much interest on here for option 2?

I can store it for a week or two and deliver it for a

Yes, but also I have enough projects already.  I'd run you a roffle and take three at £15 👀

Posted

I must admit, I’m quite tempted with this if you manage to bag it. 
It’s not really my taste but it’d make a good little project over the winter. It seems much too good a car to be sitting rotting into the ground like that too.

Out of interest @warren t claim how much would it cost to get it down to just south of Gloucester?

Posted

A nice 405 turbo diesel is a bit of a fantasy of mine.

That looks to only have done 6 miles between it's two last MOT's too,and those are a few years apart.

Posted
30 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

A nice 405 turbo diesel is a bit of a fantasy of mine.

That looks to only have done 6 miles between it's two last MOT's too,and those are a few years apart.

Only 70bhp so it's N/A sadly.

I went from Scotland to Wales in an NA 405 as a kid. Towing a caravan 🫣

  • Haha 1
Posted
1 hour ago, dome said:

 

I went from Scotland to Wales in an NA 405 as a kid. Towing a caravan 🫣

Have you arrived yet?

Posted

I think it's definitely worth saving, 405s are picking up a bit more interest now and slowly appreciating, plus of course they are a delight to drive.  Saloons tend to fetch a bit more than estates apparently, and diesels usually more than petrols unless it's an Mi16.  They were really well protected from rust from new and a rusty 405 is like a rusty 205, very rare.  That one is the bog standard Style (possibly Quasar) spec which lends it a particular sort of charm.  Prices for 405s in Ireland are mental and that might be an avenue.  Biggest problem with these now is that some parts are just becoming impossible, you won't find a middle exhaust section for example, or a windscreen.

Posted

Domestic Management's dad had one the same colour, lower down the same registration sequence.  A 1.9 n/a diesel, it virtually stalled when you even thought about using the aircon.

Posted
15 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

It’s last MOT was a fail. Never re-tested. Low mileage on it too really.

IMG_0001.jpeg.41385b77eb50c2a4197b8b0cdb134786.jpeg

As a serial Volkswagen perv, I can tell you with abject authority that is considered a pass.

GIB

Posted
On 13/08/2026 at 11:39, yes oui si said:

Have you arrived yet?

I heard he was still at Edinburgh 🤣

Posted
On 13/08/2026 at 12:21, chaseracer said:

Domestic Management's dad had one the same colour, lower down the same registration sequence.  A 1.9 n/a diesel, it virtually stalled when you even thought about using the aircon.

My xantia td was similar - like applying the handbrake.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...