Jump to content

Should I bother saving this 405?


Recommended Posts

Posted

pugsave1.png.b939dd7aeafad48e02cd1d02a31dba4f.png

Dropped a punter off at her mum's house this evening only to be greeted to the sight of this parked up in the OAP's driveway.

Apparently, it belonged to my punter's late father, and her mum refuses to sell it.I got chatting to her and her mum about the 405 explaining that a red 405 was my first taxi and I'd love to own another for nostalgic reasons.

Her mum, sensing my enthusiasm, started making noises about letting me have it for nothing, or at least next to nothing as a way of it going to a good home.

I think this DHSS spec 405 is pez powered without even PAS. I noticed the keep fit front windows too. Being on an M plate I should imagine it's fuel injected, which is a good thing as pez 405s had shit carbs even when new. 

Thoughts?

Posted

Anyone checked when it was last on the road?

Posted
1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

pugsave1.png.b939dd7aeafad48e02cd1d02a31dba4f.png

Dropped a punter off at her mum's house this evening only to be greeted to the sight of this parked up in the OAP's driveway.

Apparently, it belonged to my punter's late father, and her mum refuses to sell it.I got chatting to her and her mum about the 405 explaining that a red 405 was my first taxi and I'd love to own another for nostalgic reasons.

Her mum, sensing my enthusiasm, started making noises about letting me have it for nothing, or at least next to nothing as a way of it going to a good home.

I think this DHSS spec 405 is pez powered without even PAS. I noticed the keep fit front windows too. Being on an M plate I should imagine it's fuel injected, which is a good thing as pez 405s had shit carbs even when new. 

Thoughts?

Yes.

  • Agree 2
Posted

It's diesel, m9. Last taxed 16 years ago. 

Also: do it. 

Posted
1 hour ago, fatmanblue said:

Yes.

Wish id seen your post before i tried to be equally pithy 🤣

Posted

If you are offered it - move quickly. There is bound to be a member of the wider family who thinks it's worth £1000's and will suddenly appear 😂 claiming you are taking their inheritance.

It will then sit there another decade before it goes for scrap.

Posted

I can’t see a single reason why you wouldn’t do it tbh!

  • Agree 2
Posted

It’s last MOT was a fail. Never re-tested. Low mileage on it too really.

IMG_0001.jpeg.41385b77eb50c2a4197b8b0cdb134786.jpeg

  • Like 3
Posted
3 minutes ago, alcyonecorporation said:

It's diesel, m9. Last taxed 16 years ago. 

Also: do it. 

Don't you have some previous in killing my 405 diesels?

  • Haha 2
Posted
1 minute ago, danthecapriman said:

It’s last MOT was a fail.

IMG_0001.jpeg.41385b77eb50c2a4197b8b0cdb134786.jpeg

I was banking on everthing rubber being fucked anyway.

  • Like 2
Posted
2 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

It’s last MOT was a fail. Never re-tested. Low mileage on it too really.

IMG_0001.jpeg.41385b77eb50c2a4197b8b0cdb134786.jpeg

Lot of pretty minor issues at the time.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Posted

I'm guessing that being a council spec it'll be a Lucas pumped, NA dizzler?

Posted

No mention of major rust on that MOT.

It’s a go ahead from me.

Posted

Anyone brave enough to take a punt on the tarp challenge parked next to it?

Posted
1 minute ago, warren t claim said:

I was banking on everthing rubber being fucked anyway.

Basically that. It’s going to need tyres now regardless as it’s been sat on flats for ages. Brake hoses are likely well past it now too. Headlamp thing sounds straight forward. Possibly wants the rear brakes cleaned out and adjusted properly, maybe a set of shoes depending. Set of wiper blades. CV boots changed.
Nothing particularly difficult. Obviously there’s bound to be a few other niggles now too after it’s sat so long but on the face of it looks a decent car with a few day’s effort.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Posted
1 minute ago, danthecapriman said:

Basically that. It’s going to need tyres now regardless as it’s been sat on flats for ages. Brake hoses are likely well past it now too. Headlamp thing sounds straight forward. Possibly wants the rear brakes cleaned out and adjusted properly, maybe a set of shoes depending. Set of wiper blades. CV boots changed.
Nothing particularly difficult. Obviously there’s bound to be a few other niggles now too after it’s sat so long but on the face of it looks a decent car with a few day’s effort.

The paintwork has the usual laquer issues.

The cambelt is one worry. If it survives being jump started I'll replace it. I'm not going to throw one on first.

  • Like 3
Posted

Looks like a worthwhile project. Best of luck with it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted

What's the current value for a begsy spec 405 NA dizzler MOT'd and fixed up?

Posted

The MOT fails will now have developed by about 250% from standing but its free so 100% go for it! You can't lose!

  • Agree 3
Posted

I suppose I have a couple of other options.

1. Take it off her hands for free on the back of the recovery truck I have use of. Drive it straight to the bridge and trouser £150. 

2. Take it off her hands for free on the back of the recovery truck I have use of. Drive it straight to the storage yard I have use of too. Flog it on  here for £350.

Posted
1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

It’s last MOT was a fail. Never re-tested. Low mileage on it too really.

IMG_0001.jpeg.41385b77eb50c2a4197b8b0cdb134786.jpeg

That's not a fail, that's consumables. Poor car.

  • Agree 4
Posted

pugsave2.png.2a0180aaaeffc7ba2c938fb4bfc3f0de.png

Happier times for the 405.

Posted
1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

Anyone brave enough to take a punt on the tarp challenge parked next to it?

Mk2 Cav five door?

Posted
Just now, Bear said:

Mk2 Cav five door?

Nope. Older. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...