Jump to content

Most expensive car I have ever seen...


Recommended Posts

Posted

I work in wilmslow and there are quite a number of expensive houses and cars about. One of the cars i regularly see is on a street thats on my way back to the office from my daily walk. Its a ferrari F40. However today i saw this being delivered. 20260520_124352.jpg.31d9ec5040bc25f6cff233057c589049.jpg

For reference that is a 1964 Ferrari 250LM.

20260520_124412.jpg.a0ced19b2a4918700818ad9e731fbe1b.jpg

For reference...

Screenshot_20260520_124651_Chrome.jpg.9cb30488a05b812a4f50ee8afe96c2c7.jpg

silly really. After considering it, it just becomes such a vulgar amount of money, even in this extremely wealthy area there isnt a house worth half of this car. 

Posted

Funny how the back of it reminds me of a Leyland Titan. I don't know what that says about me or Leyland's designers.

Posted

I honestly find it fascinating how vehicles like this end up costing the amount they do.

I guess its supply and demand. Ferrari don't make mass-produced cars and have stuck to a philosophy of scarcity, bespoke hand-craftsmanship and elite brand equity.

However, with an older Ferrari like the 250LM, you also have very wealthy types who also see them as fine-art. Cars like this are generally shifted between extremely wealthy individuals which in itself creates a market. Very much opposite to what we do here on the beige. Many of us here will have had the opportunity to buy certain cars at (sometimes) less than half their value on the open market. I suppose, in those higher-wealth circles, the opposite happens.

  • Like 3
Posted
3 minutes ago, carlo said:

Is it a real one or replica?

Its a real one. On the databases I've seen, it comes up as a Ferrari 250LM.

Posted

As evidenced by bald dude with hook nose, on phone and two dudes who both bought their clothes at the same store.

 

Aka rich people dressing the way they think normal people look.

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2
Posted
33 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Its a real one. On the databases I've seen, it comes up as a Ferrari 250LM.

Let's hope he doesn't scuff that front spoiler then.  That's probably £250K.

  • Haha 1
Posted

I did check if it was real. Looks like the current owner bought and imported in March 14 when prices were a mere £10million. The return on investment should hopefully cover the cost of ownership.

Posted

Wonder if he'd let moulds be taken off it so we could build a MGF based replica?

Posted

I'd have been more interested if it was delivered on an a Sherpa beavertail with a 10ft overhang.

Posted

As lovely as it is, it’s practically useless as anything other than an ornament or some sort of investment vehicle. 

  • Agree 4
Posted

Yeah, I wonder what the insurance premium would be for actually driving a £30 million car on the road?

Posted
43 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

Yeah, I wonder what the insurance premium would be for actually driving a £30 million car on the road?

Especially if under 25 😄

Posted

Swap for 500,000 broken Xboxes??? 

  • Haha 3
Posted
4 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Yeah, I wonder what the insurance premium would be for actually driving a £30 million car on the road?

If you can buy the car, I doubt that's a serious consideration.

  • Agree 2
Posted

 

6 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Wonder if he'd let moulds be taken off it so we could build a MGF based replica?

Apparently that's how we have Countach kit cars. Many years ago an exotic car hire company had theirs come back with some bad paint damage and when they got it examined  afterwards the verdict was that someone had used it as a mould for a fibreglass shell. 

To answer the question, I've seen (& even got to sit in the driver's seat) the 1970 Mercedes C111 but since it's never going to come up for sale I suppose that might not count. I've seen a couple of McLaren F1s and they go for $20M these days. 

Posted
5 hours ago, PhilA said:

If you can buy the car, I doubt that's a serious consideration.

Id imagine that unless you are using it regularly itll be near impossible to keep in fettle. What will that have on it? 4 or 6 Weber downdrafts? The car will not take well to near constant inactivity. So its literally an ornament. Such a shame, but realistically youre not driving that around the north west. Or anywhere else in england bar a closed track.

  • Agree 2
Posted
50 minutes ago, Matty said:

Id imagine that unless you are using it regularly itll be near impossible to keep in fettle. What will that have on it? 4 or 6 Weber downdrafts? The car will not take well to near constant inactivity. So its literally an ornament. Such a shame, but realistically youre not driving that around the north west. Or anywhere else in england bar a closed track.

Probably benefit from a few months with our Bfg.He'd soon make some seat extender brackets so he could drive it.Probably find the handbrake didn't work,the thermostat had been taken out, someone had fitted a Fiat 124 fuel pump .....Next thing you know he'd be whizzing round East Anglia in it!

Posted

50s and 60s racing cars are gorgeous aren't they?

I'm about as far away as you can possibly get from the sort of person who loves Ferraris or Formula One or talks about racing pedigree or heritage, but if race cars still looked like this 

1967_ferrari_412_p_coupe_by_racer5678_dfywbzr-fullview.jpg.27b7a3a3e9b944dff070caced5c472ea.jpg

I'd be much more invested. 

Posted
32 minutes ago, warch said:

50s and 60s racing cars are gorgeous aren't they?

I'm about as far away as you can possibly get from the sort of person who loves Ferraris or Formula One or talks about racing pedigree or heritage, but if race cars still looked like this 

1967_ferrari_412_p_coupe_by_racer5678_dfywbzr-fullview.jpg.27b7a3a3e9b944dff070caced5c472ea.jpg

I'd be much more invested. 

Absolutely. The 250 that @DirtyDaily has photod is stunningly beautiful.

Posted

Rather partial to the Porsche 904 myself.

 

IMG_7581.jpeg.54e830a3d009dedba953e3c92924b274.jpeg

 

IMG_7582.jpeg.6daae630d605538c8052f8a98da43bed.jpeg

 

Real ones are at least a million and replicas are nudging £100k.

Posted

Race cars of this era do have a lot of design similarities;

Pronounced wheel arches and bulges above the height of the bodywork.

The way the bodywork curves in gracefully under the sides. 

Kamm tail (not the Jag I posted). 

Faired in lights and very low front end.

Posted

I was fortunate enough to be in the audience on Top Gear when they first had the Veyron in the studio (they raced it from Italy to London with James flying the washing machine Cessna). The noise was spectacular and the attention to detail, stunning. It's not an objet d'art like the 250LM above, but as an engineering exercise it's superb.

Posted
19 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Yeah, I wonder what the insurance premium would be for actually driving a £30 million car on the road?

Not sure, but I guess you could self-insure.

 

I guess that most wouldn't though. There are presumably specialist brokers for the mega, mega wealthy who basically just sort out insurance on everything

  • Agree 1
Posted

I've been to the Schlumpf Museum and seen all the Bugatti Royales they have (two originals and one built up from original parts). Judging by the auction prices of the few Royales in the wild  I think they're going to be up there in the league of the most expensive cars.

Stretching the point further, if you stand on the steps* leading down to the museum floor and just look ahead of you the view you get would be worth, I dunno, billions of pounds? Basically it's just Bugattis as far as the eye can see (+ a few oddities).

*the last time I was there (1992 ish) you paid a reasonable sum to get in, and simply walked down a corridor to a short flight of wide stairs and there in front of you was the whole collection. It may have a different layout nowadays..... Oh and the chocolate mousse they flogged in the caff was simply the best chocolate mousse I have ever had.

image.png.e48f4012816c9fce3fcddd33324ba208.png

One of your actual Royales.

And on the road? Don't know - saw a MacLaren in that London and I used to regularly see a Bentley 4 1/2 being just driven around routinely, on normal roads, going from A to B. Strangely, for those who know the area, I'd see it more often than not on Dog Kennel Road near Beverley.

  • Like 2
Posted

They are racing cars, not "race cars".

Saw a Ferrari Daytona Spider on the quay in Antibes a few years ago. My dream car, but slightly beyond my budget.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...