Unpopular Motoring Opinion Thread

UltraWomble

21 minutes ago, juular said:

Diesel engines of any arrangement sound better than any petrol I6 or V6.

Bonus opinion.

An I5 sounds way better than any V8.

At the risk of appearing predictable...

41 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Cannot agree in any way.

• Agree 2

On 23/03/2024 at 08:34, sierraman said:

I’d chemically castrate people that put their bins out early. 

That's not a Northern euphemism for an unseemly sexual practice is it?"I caught t'dirty bugger putting his bins out early yesterday.Didn't think I'd seem him,he didn't.I'd have likes of him castrated ,I would, that'd stop 'em!"Apologies to Mrs Grady,Old Lady,in the Viz.

On 22/03/2024 at 22:18, eddyramrod said:

When the 70 limit was set, most of the cars on the road would struggle to reach it.  But that was the thick end of 60 years ago.  Car design has moved on and almost anything built in the last 40 years is capable of far higher speeds.

Unfortunately the drivers are not.

Perhaps we should have graduated licences and reward drivers who do more training to become better drivers like IAM but with less emphasis on doing the BSM shuffle better.

Rewards would include being allowed to drive at a higher speed limit, use of bus lanes, priority parking , free use of the M6 toll, and motorway fuel / charging at prices that don’t take the piss.

It shouldn’t be difficult to police through ANPR.

I enjoy cars, but I absolutely cannot stand about 99.999999% of car enthusiasts.

I guess that's why I'm here and have no presence on any other motoring websites.

I don't mind average speed cameras.

Gone past the first one in a 50 limit at 60?  Never mind, just drive through the rest of it at about 47.  Much better than normal ones on every gantry on smart motorways that encourage people to do 85 between them then slam the brakes on to pass the camera at 50.

Young male drivers are crazy but not in the way they’re portrayed on the news.

Almost all of the younger fellas I know either have or aspire to a four door diesel yawnbox like an Audi A4/VW Passat/3 Series BMW or a fucking Bora. It’s like they can’t wait to start middle age ffs. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I enjoy cars, but I absolutely cannot stand about 99.999999% of car enthusiasts.

I guess that's why I'm here and have no presence on any other motoring websites.

I like Fords but hate the people. 

3 minutes ago, Bazfr69 said:

Almost all of the younger fellas I know either have or aspire to a four door diesel yawnbox like an Audi A4/VW Passat/3 Series BMW or a fucking Bora. It’s like they can’t wait to start middle age ffs. 

Not all of them are complete wankers, but the dickheads seem to make themselves easily identifiable that’s to say a German car more than 6-7 years old, poorly thought out modifications like remaps on 100,000 mile old nails, Under Armour clothes, big chains that cannot possibly be gold, general ‘Roadman’ attitude. With this in mind it should be easy for the police to spot them but half the Police are university kids now whose prior experience of crime is usually having a bike nicked at Uni. 

1 hour ago, Metal Guru said:

Perhaps we should have graduated licences and reward drivers who do more training to become better drivers like IAM but with less emphasis on doing the BSM shuffle better.

I'd be happy if people put their fucking phones down and paid some attention to piloting their 2 ton 'sport' utility.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Before the council’s stipulation of 8pm. 

In that case I'm a renegade and proud of it. 

In terms of bin putting out, where I lead, others follow. I pride myself on getting the right bins arranged in order of collection and neatly aligned. 

So sue me. 

6 minutes ago, grogee said:

In that case I'm a renegade and proud of it. 

In terms of bin putting out, where I lead, others follow. I pride myself on getting the right bins arranged in order of collection and neatly aligned. 

So sue me. 

image.jpeg.ab9fa807b3f60b020ebd07fa17046129.jpeg

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I like old BMWs but hate the people. 

Edited for my circumstances.

2 hours ago, Bazfr69 said:

"But mine is a 316d MSport so I get twat stripes, unique* headrest stitching and a 3mm lower front spoiler" 

7 minutes ago, grogee said:

"But mine is a 316d MSport so I get twat stripes, unique* headrest stitching and a 3mm lower front spoiler" 

Diesel is a big thing for young men over here for some reason, especially the culchies. 

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

image.jpeg.ab9fa807b3f60b020ebd07fa17046129.jpeg

Our ‘so called’ recycling bin for plastic, glass & paper etc. was left full on my pavement on 3 occasions by the private company (not our council) who empty them. They stated on each occasion it was because I had apparently put some none recyclable plastic in there. 
The last time it happened I rang the company & spoke to their manager, he said ‘we can’t except none recyclable stuff’. I explained that while I was terrible sorry & though I felt I was above average intelligence, I was in fact not a professor of chemistry or any other kind of plastics expert. I also explained that I thought it was pretty much their ‘actual job’ to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. 
I then went on to tell him, he was a complete & utter wanker, as was the outfit that employed him & to no longer look for my bin outside my house every other Tuesday, as it would no longer be there. I’d say that was about 8 yrs ago & said bin is now employed as a garden compost container next to my greenhouse. There are only myself & my missus in the house, so although the ‘normal’ waste bin is only emptied once a fortnight it is plenty for us, so every bottle, can, plastic etc etc goes in there & they can sort the cunt out themselves. 

2 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

@grogee so you're a binfluencer?

binfluencer.jpg.77870868d89c6f51607fc9eda1621e30.jpg

As its mostly pensioners on our street I like to go first and put the wrong bin out so they all copy me, then swap it round about midnight when they're all in bed - I'm going to hell aren't I?🤣

On 21/03/2024 at 21:33, 2flags said:

Why couldn't Rover had done this ten, fifteen years sooner? I know they had little money available at the time, but a bit more on development, with better quality control and who knows, maybe they would still be with us today. 

Sierraman apparently. 

On 21/03/2024 at 20:43, sierraman said:

The rot set in decades before that, they should have pulled the rug on them in the 70’s and invested the money in providing some employment in the area that actually had some legs.

Audi TTs.

Soz, but they're not a nice car to own or drive. Whoever (in the motoring press, imho) called them a poor man's 911 had either taken a life threatening amount of hard drugs in one go, or the 911 is a crap car.

37 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Audi TTs.

Soz, but they're not a nice car to own or drive. Whoever (in the motoring press, imho) called them a poor man's 911 had either taken a life threatening amount of hard drugs in one go, or the 911 is a crap car.

My mum and dad got one with a redundancy payout. Lovely piece of styling but never quite got the hype. 400 quids worth of mk4 golf 20vt saw me right and you can get kids in the bugger too!

8 minutes ago, grogee said:

Vehicles need a 'straight on' indicator. 

Is that for when I drive past the Pride march?

Ford era Jags were built better than any before or since and the X type was a far better car than the motoring press would have you believe.

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Audi TTs.

Poor man's 911 already existed long before the TT.

Skoda.jpg.7b638abe6afbcc91628374a7048ecc08.jpg

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Audi TTs.

I still have a TT I bought cheap.

It's nothing more than a 1.8 20v donor to me.

A modern day Calibra XE. You know the engine and box is going in a shitbox to make it fast.

Also means loads will be killed off and then these cars will jump in value.