A tale of woe…..

Rocket88

I've never understood people like that.  Yes, sometimes folks will change their minds or something will come up midway through a deal.  I've been on both sides of that before, but in that case you're just polite and up-front about everything and 99.99% of the time everyone can part on good terms and just get on with their lives.  

Dragging you out on a 600 mile round trip when they clearly had changed their mind is just ridiculous.  I'd have been absolutely fuming if it was me!

13 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

What a cunt. I'd have kept the deposit until I got home and calmed down, then considered how much fuckwit tax I was keeping after my costs, but then I wasn't there.

If I could have made a quick getaway I probably would have just left. However, I was in a position where a three point turn with a trailer was needed to escape. He could easily have blocked me in, and then things could have got a bit nasty.

7 hours ago, Bren said:

Yes changing head gaskets on a 3.5 really is like working on the large hadron collider isn't it? 

Try it on the EFi versions - hadron collider++. I've had two HGF V8s and both were suspected coolant loss/overheating victims - it's not that difficult I guess but it's not as easy as an A series. Compared to some modern shite I'd actually rate it as fairly simple.

I must apologise for my fellow Scotsman - we're not all total tossers, honest.

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

If I could have made a quick getaway I probably would have just left. However, I was in a position where a three point turn with a trailer was needed to escape. He could easily have blocked me in, and then things could have got a bit nasty.

I'm a lover not a fighter.  I'd rather de-escalate a situation and lose a few hundred quid than get my cunt kicked in or worse my motor tanked. Ain't worth it.

People are bastards. Nobody is perfect (myself included), but to put you out like that. May his shits forever be formed of broken glass. 

10 hours ago, Bren said:

What a  skinflute.

Yes changing head gaskets on a 3.5 really is like working on the large hadron collider isn't it? 

Never ever take anything for a viewing or sale. Let them waster their time and their money.

My BMW is unlikely to sell - nowhere near the reserve and it means my HGV will have to wait until next year. The bonus is I will not have to deal with the absolute fucking roasters that appear to be everywhere nowadays.

Sorry to interrupt this thread but, @Bren, have you googled “free HGV training”. I had an agency temp recently who’d got his license through a free government scheme due to driver shortage. Might be nonsense but thought I’d mention it.

5 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Probably hoping to chip you right down on price and flip it for a healthy profit. 

That thought had crossed my mind… but he wouldn’t even make an offer….. I asked! 
I do think Mrs McNasty got wind of the proposed arrival, and put the mockers on it…..

On reflection, the whole thing was weird. He seemed to get more and more agitated that he couldn’t find anything wrong with the car, and seemed positively delighted when he found what he perceived as an issue.

37 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

I think the lesson here is: if you want to sell a car invite the prospective buyer round to your address. No compromises. I wouldn't feel right viewing a car in a public area.

Sorry you had your time wasted @Rocket88  What a crappy way to spend a Friday/weekend.

A salutary lesson…..