92 cadillac Eldorado

Frogchod

I have a 1994 model with the later 4.6L Northstar V8. It is a Japanese export model, so has factory tinted glass and a few other features peculiar to that market. It goes well and it's a nice place to be. I have had it ten years and it has been reliable in service so far.

Minor things have needed doing, but nothing has been exclusive to this model:

I had to replace the plastic grommet in the gearshift cable end, where it links to the gearbox switch, as the original perished. The cable end wouldn't then push the gearbox switch far enough in 'Park' to tell the car it was out of gear. The result was that it wouldn't start in 'Park' or let me close the trunk lid! A new grommet was the fix for that.

One of the temperature sensors in the AC pipe died, but I got a couple of new items from the USA via eBay. Fitting them is a job for this year, so the car can come out to play again.

Six-cylinder took it to Shitefest '14.

IMG_5321 broad.jpg

IMG_5312 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

I have a 1994 model with the later 4.6L Northstar V8. It is a Japanese export model, so has factory tinted glass and a few other features peculiar to that market. It goes well and it's a nice place to be. I have had it ten years and it has been reliable in service so far.

Minor things have needed doing, but nothing has been exclusive to this model:

I had to replace the plastic grommet in the gearshift cable end, where it links to the gearbox switch, as the original perished. The cable end wouldn't then push the gearbox switch far enough in 'Park' to tell the car it was out of gear. The result was that it wouldn't start in 'Park' or let me close the trunk lid! A new grommet was the fix for that.

One of the temperature sensors in the AC pipe died, but I got a couple of new items from the USA via eBay. Fitting them is a job for this year, so the car can come out to play again.

Six-cylinder took it to Shitefest '14.

IMG_5321 broad.jpg

IMG_5312 broad.jpg

You do realise you're literally the coolest couple on the planet don't you? 👍👍👍👍👍👍

I have nothing useful to add really, other than one of my first cars was a Mitsubishi Colt with the reg NIL9440. It had the following  characteristics which I reckon will be also be shared with that Cadillac:

-Low rent though durable interior plastics

-Difficult to access rear seats

-Extremely reliable 

-Hilarious understeer

Can't think you'd regret buying it.

Getting it bought is turning out to be not so simple since that there brexit. 

Apparently I need customs form 836a which'll need proof of import date within 30 days. Which can't happen as this has been here for years. 

More googling required... 

Fucking brexit... My Buick was so simple to rego 😩

48 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

Apparently I need customs form 836a which'll need proof of import date within 30 days. Which can't happen as this has been here for years. 

It shows up still on the DVLA Vehicle Check and MOT Check websites here.

Looks like the last V5C was issued on 02-Oct-20 and its last MOT was on 23-Jul-10. Has it been 'on holiday' in France all that time, with its owner not having filled out the 'permanent export' bit of the document?

@LightBulbFun - anything you can add to the above?

23 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

It shows up still on the DVLA Vehicle Check and MOT Check websites here.

Looks like the last V5C was issued on 02-Oct-20 and its last MOT was on 23-Jul-10. Has it been 'on holiday' in France all that time, with its owner not having filled out the 'permanent export' bit of the document?

@LightBulbFun - anything you can add to the above?

Uhhh *puts down recently acquired lightbulb being inspected, clears eyes, looks at computer screen*

which way is this going, is this coming from France back to the UK, going from the UK to France, is or it in France and @Frogchod is hoping to buy it and get it properly registered in frenchshire? 

all the data points you state look good on my end, no export marker of any kind, amusingly the DVLA think it was made in 2006, despite also having an original date of first registration of June 1992 on record :) 

2007910071_Screenshot2023-01-30at20_22_46.thumb.png.1821d453dfd3630ed5ad17f5a46f7eb4.png

the private plate NIL6940 has been on the vehicle since new, no previous plate history, but I do wonder if it would end up on an 06 "age related" plate if you took the private plate off LOL

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the DVLA think it was made in 2006

Imported to the UK from elsewhere in 2006? I'm guessing from Europe, as it has factory European/Japanese rear lights and numberplate aperture, but doesn't appear to have the dark tinted glass of the Japanese market).

29 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Imported to the UK from elsewhere in 2006? I'm guessing from Europe, as it has factory European/Japanese rear lights and numberplate aperture, but doesn't appear to have the dark tinted glass of the Japanese market).

Oh yeah for sure! its an import its got a full house of import markers including import-non-eu :) (ie to say its been imported from outside the EU)

just normally with imports the year of manufacture is normally just that, but for some reason on this Caddy its down as 2006

ie so if you where to take its current plate off, you would get an 2006 number plate rather than the the J prefix plate it should get being from June 1992! unless they do suddenly notice the original date of first registration! (which is the date of first registration from its home country)

28 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Would it pass an MOT (with a little work)? 

In a few years, that'll make an excellent London ULEZ car

because "grey import" its registered as being Euro 4, and as such the ULEZ has no problems with it :)  

image.thumb.png.7eb9899d022f75d35e78abfaede804fe.png

which is all a bit amusing because early today I was just looking at a 51 plate Cadlic in the eBay tat thread, that was listed as ULEZ compliant

22 hours ago, Flat4 said:

and I thought/was musing to myself "that would of ben fun to have for a laugh" :) 

11 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh yeah for sure! its an import its got a full house of import markers including import-non-eu :) (ie to say its been imported from outside the EU)

just normally with imports the year of manufacture is normally just that, but for some reason on this Caddy its down as 2006

ie so if you where to take its current plate off, you would get an 2006 number plate rather than the the J prefix plate it should get being from June 1992! unless they do suddenly notice the original date of first registration! (which is the date of first registration from its home country)

because "grey import" its registered as being Euro 4, and as such the ULEZ has no problems with it :)  

image.thumb.png.7eb9899d022f75d35e78abfaede804fe.png

which is all a bit amusing because early today I was just looking at a 51 plate Cadlic in the eBay tat thread, that was listed as ULEZ compliant

and I thought/was musing to myself "that would of ben fun to have for a laugh" :) 

That 51 could easily be ULEZ though. Plenty of Euro 3 petrol cars are. 

I haven't looked it up, but quite a few petrol cars of that age comply 

2 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

That 51 could easily be ULEZ though. Plenty of Euro 3 petrol cars are. 

I haven't looked it up, but quite a few petrol cars of that age comply 

forgive me but I am a bit confused here? I was not questioning it status the 51 plate is ULEZ compliant as you say, I was just also pointing out that NIL6940 above is already ULEZ "compliant" :) 

and that I found it amusing that this so happens to be as I was earlier just thinking about ULEZ and Cadillacs :) 

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

forgive me but I am a bit confused here? I was not questioning it status the 51 plate is ULEZ compliant as you say, I was just also pointing out that NIL6940 above is already ULEZ "compliant" :) 

and that I found it amusing that this so happens to be as I was earlier just thinking about ULEZ and Cadillacs :) 

Ah, now I get it. I thought you doubted that the 51 plater was ULEZ. 

My 53 plate diesel Mercedes ML was a grey import (from Republic of Ireland) and came up as compliant on the checker. I go to London very rarely so sadly never got the chance to test it! 

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

the private plate NIL6940 has been on the vehicle since new, 

I’d be 99.9% sure it’s not a private plate and was just first registered in Northern Ireland when it came to the UK

Also note whoever registered it couldn’t spell Cadillac..

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

I’d be 99.9% sure it’s not a private plate and was just first registered in Northern Ireland when it came to the UK

Also note whoever registered it couldn’t spell Cadillac..

nah NILxxxx is a ~1997 issue plate series, and xIL was issued to completion in 2004, so its not period for the car at all, hence why im pretty positive its just a private plate someones put on it when they where registering it in the UK :) 

9 hours ago, Asimo said:

You should, I would. 4.9 is said to be the best iteration of that engine. That’s a good colour too.

I wouldn’t consider a Cadillac that wasn’t front wheel drive, oversteer is for the speedway track.

🤣😂

10 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

I think it may have been a Japan model. 

There's stickers under the bonnet in what looks like Japanese.