Wibble’s Wittering - Cortina, Senator & occasional Skoda & family ramblings, soz!

Wibble

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

If Wibblet can't take it, offer it on here before skipping. It's family, I still use some of my grandpa's tools.

I’ve offered the good bits on here already but no interest. Broken spades and forks aren’t of much interest to anyone. Dad never had good tools, other than garden ones, he wasn’t interested in fixing cars but loved them none the less.

11 hours ago, Saabnut said:

I am going offshore today for about 10-14 days but coul be interested in the ladders and outboard when I get back. It is not too far from me for collection. 

No problem, we’re heading back down south tomorrow but likely back over Easter. Give me a shout when you’re back. I did check today, the engine turns freely and has compression.

Also have a number of fly fishing rods to move on. Still trying to find out if they’re of any interest:IMG_4456.thumb.jpeg.65a991c3cadc0517191ee2c2e830dc2a.jpegIMG_4455.thumb.jpeg.9e8eee9cd5c42bdc911b8353ca485180.jpegIMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.6368ce1eaaea0dbdfbf708c9b028a86e.jpeg

There’s one other I’m still trying to identify the maker but struggling as it’s more a signature and number.

IMG_4458.jpeg

IMG_4457.jpeg

Spent the morning going through a suitcase of old photos and documents, including correspondence between my Grandfather in Dublin and his employers in England. Of particular interest was a letter to him in 1968, saying it had been decided he should have a better car, given his position and giving him a list to look at. It’s interesting what he dismissed and considered:

IMG_4459.thumb.jpeg.0a3463d81244c8ecda8831260c810f24.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wibble said:

Spent the morning going through a suitcase of old photos and documents, including correspondence between my Grandfather in Dublin and his employers in England. Of particular interest was a letter to him in 1968, saying it had been decided he should have a better car, given his position and giving him a list to look at. It’s interesting what he dismissed and considered:

I love old stuff like this, do you know what he went for?

I have (somewhere) a letter my Mum received from a high-up at English Electric when she resigned as a PA (probably because she was expecting me).

15 hours ago, Wibble said:

I’m biased, but I’d have had the Wooley!

A10D4434-F79F-42CE-ACA1-B6ABD4987C3D.thumb.jpeg.1658e64f43e34cbbb82a272ad9afb64d.jpeg

15 hours ago, Wibble said:

I believe he went for the Austin 1800. Slightly surprised he dismissed the Wolseley though. Automatic maybe the reason? Not sure what his “oil” comment was for the Triumph and he clearly thought some too extravagant perhaps, as a qualified accountant?

It was possible to get a manual Wolseley 18/85, so I'm not sure why he chose the mechanically identical but less plush Austin 1800.

Looks like he worked out that a Rover 2000 was only slightly more expensive than the options he was given, but perhaps he couldn't persuade his bosses to stretch that little bit further!

My grandfather was a frugal man, so I think he dismissed the Rover because of cost,  rather than his bosses. Shame, I think he would have suited it well. Also strange the list specified the Wolseley Automatic and not manual, so maybe he thought that wasn’t an option? He was always an Austin man I think, there are photos of him with a Cambridge. My dad always said he wasn’t really a car man but was a much better driver after a few drinks! Different times! Wish I’d known him, he made remarkable achievements but died when I was 11 months old.

On 16/02/2024 at 14:58, Wibble said:

Hmm, I’m an awkward bugger so I’d have deliberately gone back and had a PC Cresta!

‘All Vauxhall range except Viscount’ so I’d get a highly specced PC Cresta and create my own Viscount!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2024 at 23:28, Wibble said:

Your coffee table sounds possibly G-Plan? I still have Mum and Dad’s ceramic topped teak coffee table.

Found the coffee table today and got it down from the loft. I’ve left it in one of the bedrooms (away from radiators!) to acclimatise to room temperature and humidity, it’s very cold up in the loft!

IMG_3786.thumb.jpeg.8c7ed13fd4a12144493578de08996bbb.jpeg

IMG_3785.thumb.jpeg.74d801b720f5cd7a5552cedf8819d96e.jpeg

IMG_3787.thumb.jpeg.5de55bf282203931c014acbedb0b6680.jpeg

I don’t think it’s G-plan. There’s no manufacturer names or stamps on it anywhere. 
From what I can find online, and I’m no expert at all!, it’s Scandinavian Astro style from the 60’s?? I could be totally wrong though! It’s quite old though, just from its style. 
Glass top is a lightly smoked top which is still up in the loft.

Its not exactly in pristine condition anymore unfortunately but it’s been in constant use right up until my grandparents passed away a few years ago, then my cousin had it in his flat for a while, so it’s been moved around a fair bit. 
It’s probably not valuable at all really but it’s one of those weird things I can remember them having and always liked the style of it so it’s not going anywhere regardless.

8 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Found the coffee table today and got it down from the loft. I’ve left it in one of the bedrooms (away from radiators!) to acclimatise to room temperature and humidity, it’s very cold up in the loft!

IMG_3786.thumb.jpeg.8c7ed13fd4a12144493578de08996bbb.jpeg

IMG_3785.thumb.jpeg.74d801b720f5cd7a5552cedf8819d96e.jpeg

IMG_3787.thumb.jpeg.5de55bf282203931c014acbedb0b6680.jpeg

I don’t think it’s G-plan. There’s no manufacturer names or stamps on it anywhere. 
From what I can find online, and I’m no expert at all!, it’s Scandinavian Astro style from the 60’s?? I could be totally wrong though! It’s quite old though, just from its style. 
Glass top is a lightly smoked top which is still up in the loft.

Its not exactly in pristine condition anymore unfortunately but it’s been in constant use right up until my grandparents passed away a few years ago, then my cousin had it in his flat for a while, so it’s been moved around a fair bit. 
It’s probably not valuable at all really but it’s one of those weird things I can remember them having and always liked the style of it so it’s not going anywhere regardless.

That looks in good shape Dan. As you say, not Gplan but definitely Scandinavian I’d agree. Glad you’ve kept it and not just binned it like so many.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Missing my Mum and Dad massively at the moment but have to go back up to their house next month to sort more stuff to get it up for sale.

Am I mad in thinking of taking the Senator? It has done the journey many times in the past but has only done 500 miles since it’s recommissioning. It’s the only car I have that both my parents have been in, so I’m probably being over sentimental. It won’t be my last visit to the house, as I’ll need to go with a van to take furniture. 

So, is it too risky to take the Senny, or how many of you are willing to help if it goes tits up on route?

I would, of course, post photos of the journeys progress🙂

I'd take the Senator. Gives a good chance to blow out some cobwebs and that. I say this, as a man who has done 10,000 miles in a 25 year old Vectra in 6 months.

If it goes a bit pear shaped anywhere between the Scottish border and Glasgow give me a shout and I'll try and be of help.

11 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I'd take the Senator. Gives a good chance to blow out some cobwebs and that. I say this, as a man who has done 10,000 miles in a 25 year old Vectra in 6 months.

If it goes a bit pear shaped anywhere between the Scottish border and Glasgow give me a shout and I'll try and be of help.

Cheers Ryan, I’m starting to form a plan. 10k in the Vectra is impressive! They’re not that far apart.

4 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Deffo the Senator.

Give a really good run out and the weather seems ok at the moment too so take advantage of that! It’ll probably do the car a world of good.

Id offer help but I’m in the opposite direction😄

Thanks Dan, I know you’re the wrong end of my destination. Let’s hope the weather is even better  next month.

I’m really keen to do this, Mrs W will no doubt disagree but I’ll service it and get a new MOT and take it from there.  No promises but could be fun.

On 18/02/2024 at 13:45, Boycie said:

My Dads dad died when I was 5 months old , old school farmer , apparently talked with a cigarette in the corner of his mouth , I have a pair of his gold cufflinks which must be over 60 years old

Really sorry I missed your post before, please forgive me. 
I found some cufflinks of my Dad’s, engraved for his 21st birthday with his initials and the date. I’ve polished them up and given them to my sister.

46 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Thanks Dan, I know you’re the wrong end of my destination. Let’s hope the weather is even better  next month.

I’m really keen to do this, Mrs W will no doubt disagree but I’ll service it and get a new MOT and take it from there.  No promises but could be fun.

In another month I’d imagine the weather will be just fine. 
It is good fun running something old on a long trip, it might help take your mind off the reason for the trip too.

I used to use my mid 80’s Volvo’s to do the run up to see family in Doncaster, didn’t get any problems. They’re brilliant for it too, so comfortable! Your Senator should have no problem whatsoever with a trip like this, it’s exactly what it was built for.