The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I feel like I've got welders flash/arc eye.

This is baffling, because I have not been involved in any activites related to, or in the vicinity of, welding.

I've been lying on the sofa since I got home from work with my eyes shut, it feels like somebody's been attacking my retinas with 400 grit. Ow.

7 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

I had never read that one and have done because you writted a boat tits. Thank you so much. 😆

If you came across that kind of discussion in real life you would slowly back out of the room wearing a completely non-threatening smile,and close the door quietly behind you.

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

This is baffling, because I have not been involved in any activites related to, or in the vicinity of, welding.

I've been lying on the sofa since I got home from work with my eyes shut, it feels like somebody's been attacking my retinas with 400 grit. Ow.

have you either been near any broken discharge lamps still operating

or any weird clear "fluorescent" tubes giving off a dim blue glow recently?

those output significant amount of UV-C which is the stuff that gives you arc eye (welding generates a lot of UV-C which in turns literally sun burns you retinas)

and it only takes 1 idiot to install a Germicidal UV-C tube in a Bug zapper in place of a safe UV-A tube or something stupid and everyone around it is gonna have a bad time

(there was once a case in a nightclub where a bunch of these germicidal tubes got installed in place of regular black light blue UV-A tubes and as above everyone had a bad time)

such a lamp would look something like this or also the same but in regular straight tube form

IMG_1592.thumb.JPG.1e1f8968efe3b1ff1d3eed307a42e66d.JPG

and be clear when switched off

2 hours ago, Crackers said:

Sounds like a migraine on the way,

either go to bed or go sit in a dark room 

2 hours ago, Crackers said:

Sounds like a migraine about to arrive... getting that sort of ghosting as though you've looked at a bright light randomly in your vision somewhere is another classic warning sign for me.

Get yourself into a cool, dark room and hope to sleep through it is my advice.

14 minutes ago, Crackers said:

No migraine yet (thank fark). I had a thought which is I'm hoping it's to do with hay fever, as I forgot to have a pill this morning and it's been sunny today after all the rain, so I'm guessing the pollen count will me monumental. 

If it’s pollen then an eye wash does help.

Well despite having spent hundreds of dollars, a couple of months of tests, exams, drug testing, reference checking, psychometrics and classroom exercises (all of which were passed with flying colours) I was expecting my NZ Police contract this week.  

Except.....“We noticed you declared you have Crohn’s disease.  Sadly we cannot accept your application and your offer has been withdrawn”

There are not enough profanities in the world.  This month I pulled out of a financial adviser role as the hours and pay kept getting worse with every conversation, was told I had a role secured with another firm who subsequently pulled it when the person I was replacing decided not to leave, made it to the final two (out of 280) for a fucking call centre job and now find the job I had secured is now gone.  Vanished just like that.

Another admin role on the Covid 19 roll out is on the cards but that keeps moving too.  Honestly, there just aren’t enough swear words in the English language.  I might have to learn Ukrainian so I can develop some new ones.

The missus has been hassling me to get work so we can get properly settled and secure for the kids benefit.  She will be sympathetic but I know she is gonna be pissed.  

I didn’t ask for Crohns.  I did nothing to encourage it.  It’s probably been triggered by the fucking milk I was forced to drink as a kid before lactose intolerance was a thing but I doubt I can sue my primary school or the late seventies government now.  Thank fuck I don’t suffer from depression.  Oh hang on, yes I do.  This is going to be the beginning of a very very dark period

5 hours ago, Crackers said:

Have you been eating, licking or fiddling with frogs recently 🤔

ezgif.com-optimize.gif.be758146d290c4d819e2b6585e090fa6.gif

Blame it on @LightBulbFun on last night's Zoom chat with his Routemaster headlamp bulb

You sure it wasn’t the sight of one of LBFs exotic lightbulbs on the zoom call last night… 

45 minutes ago, Parky said:

Well despite having spent hundreds of dollars, a couple of months of tests, exams, drug testing, reference checking, psychometrics and classroom exercises (all of which were passed with flying colours) I was expecting my NZ Police contract this week.  

Except.....“We noticed you declared you have Crohn’s disease.  Sadly we cannot accept your application and your offer has been withdrawn”

There are not enough profanities in the world.  This month I pulled out of a financial adviser role as the hours and pay kept getting worse with every conversation, was told I had a role secured with another firm who subsequently pulled it when the person I was replacing decided not to leave, made it to the final two (out of 280) for a fucking call centre job and now find the job I had secured is now gone.  Vanished just like that.

Another admin role on the Covid 19 roll out is on the cards but that keeps moving too.  Honestly, there just aren’t enough swear words in the English language.  I might have to learn Ukrainian so I can develop some new ones.

The missus has been hassling me to get work so we can get properly settled and secure for the kids benefit.  She will be sympathetic but I know she is gonna be pissed.  

I didn’t ask for Crohns.  I did nothing to encourage it.  It’s probably been triggered by the fucking milk I was forced to drink as a kid before lactose intolerance was a thing but I doubt I can sue my primary school or the late seventies government now.  Thank fuck I don’t suffer from depression.  Oh hang on, yes I do.  This is going to be the beginning of a very very dark period

That is a piss-poor reason for denying a work contract

I sent it tonight to make a video of the Pontiac.

The gearbox decided to be a complete shit and not change gear right a number of times and then just as I was about to re-shoot it with the last of the sunlight, I got stopped by someone who wanted to talk at length about the car.

I really do need to set the tappets, that's all you can hear in the film... I'll pull the valve block out AGAIN and try get rid of the lip that is causing the shuttle valve to stick.

Phil

3 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

That is a piss-poor reason for denying a work contract

“But the role is hard and stressful and it might make you ill”

What next?  No we can’t give you a job on the farm in case a sheep gives you a nip.  Or no, you can’t work in a supermarket in case a load of fishfingers fall on your head.  It’s mental.  As I pointed out I am probably best placed to decide what I can and can’t manage having had twenty years of it.  But an administrator gets to decide on my behalf.  

Oddly enough I have a casual contract Lined up to help with the Covid 19 rollout.  I have to be CPR trained in case someone fucking dies in front of me after the shot.  That apparently is not stressful enough for crohns to be an issue.

Its an insurance thing.  Nothing more

3 hours ago, Parky said:

But the role is hard and stressful and it might make you ill

"Surely it's up to me to decide what I find stressful and what I can cope well with.  I wouldn't have applied for the job if I thought my pre-existing conditions were any kind of issue."

Today I had that.  A guy was round fitting a heat pump and took all fucking day.  The landlord popped in to check on progress just as I got a bloody migraine.  Managed to offset that - just - and am sitting quietly recovering.

Phone rings at 6.25pm, Human Resources at Westpac, another place I interviewed at.  “Yeah, just to let you know you haven’t been successful.  Your test scores were top, you were great in the leadership exercise and your role play was first rate.  However one of your interview answers could have been better so thanks for applying”

I mean for fucks sake.  I pick myself up, get my head straight, and I immediately get another beating.  I would get drunk, but cant tolerate alcohol.  Thanks crohn’s.

Wife has been at work all day and will be tired and hungry.  I haven’t done dinner.  I think if I slightly overcook something and one of the clan mentions the broccoli was a bit overdone it will be Ivan Dobsky time...