The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Top tip from a man who has metal in his eye far too many times but only once had to go to the docs .

Use a small magnet to pull any small bits of rust / steel out . It bloody well works

Itll be the original cat. I was thinking of just leaving it, workmates crv has had the cat light on for a year now and has been absolutely fine. Thanks for the reassurance though!

Just fit one of these

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambda-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Extender-Spacer-Decat-Boss-M18x1-5-/251317571511?nav=SEARCH

I ran a car with a de cat and got this code for obvious reasons, one of these stopped the code. As mentioned above the cars own test is stricter than mot. You will need check your sensor thread size

+1 on those spacers, however check you can get a ring spanner over the electrical connector of the lambda sensor as I have always found those special lambda sensor sockets (with a notch cut out of the side) utter rubbish personally.

That sounds like labyrinthitis. I get it quite a lot, it isn't much fun.

Look on the bright side, Labyrinthitis, fits perfectly where one would normally use, Have A Banana.

• Like 2

I dropped the Panda down for it's MOT this afternoon and by the time I got there (after I took it for a spin for 10 or so miles) the clutch was stuck to the floor when stopping at traffic lights. When I eventually stalled for the 17th time I got to the yard it seems the clutch spring was sticking. I've since greased up/wd40'd the spring and the rod going into the master cylinder and it seems better. Probably needs a new clutch master though as the fluid has bits floating int it.

I then walked 2 miles back up the road on an ankle went over on while filling cort JR's paddling pool earlier and now I'm limping like i've got a wooden leg. Good times.

I'm not sure if the magnet would have helped in this case. The bit was embedded in my eyelid and I'm not sure if it's metal. I think it was part of the debris that came down when I was wrestling with the radiator.

Top tip from a man who has metal in his eye far too many times but only once had to go to the docs .

Use a small magnet to pull any small bits of rust / steel out . It bloody well works

Yes it does, for grinding sparks I have also got the cotton bud twist and flick motion down to a tee

having been in the motor museum at Gaydon yesterday i got to enjoy* the motorway hell that is the M40.

i don't think i've ever seen so much twattish and cuntish driving in one place.

and that was early morning and late afternoon, on a Sunday.

What the fuck is it like on a Monday morning, Deathrace 2000???

+1 on those spacers, however check you can get a ring spanner over the electrical connector of the lambda sensor as I have always found those special lambda sensor sockets (with a notch cut out of the side) utter rubbish personally.

I always use a flare spanner from a cheapy eBay set - bit easier to get on than a ring 

+1 on the special sockets. I have one, bought it when I changed the exhaust the first time. It worked bloody well, stronger than the rusty old sensor that sheared off above the thread... £70 for a new sensor then... (Bent over by ECP, Amy needed it that night to get to work, she wouldn't drive the XM)

Would software help tell me which sensor will be throwing the code? The post cat sensor will come out easily, it's not had a chance to rust in yet (new centre section before crimbo). The pre cat on the manifold will be a proper prick I imagine, it looks rusty as well, so will probably shear off too, requiring a new manifold, and then a new sensor...

I can see this turning into the sort of job I just ignore until something explodes, or limp it through until next year when I get my yearly bonus and get amy another car...

But then some quick googling reveals £120 all in for a new manifold/cat (seems their one whole unit), plus £20 for a new sensor (all non genuine)

I have to get a 'type approved' cat don't I being 2004?

Being on 86k though, the original clutch will probably shit itself 48 miles after doing all this work however...

I'll leave it for now though, MOT is in November, and I'll see how long the light stays off for with a few resets, if it fails the emissions I'll just act ignorant and get it fixed. It's been puffing gentle wisps of bluey smoke when cold too, so it's not 100% healthy, Amy remarks sometimes that she can smell hot oil, although the block is never any more oily than usual.

It doesn't help that I hate the car, so have no desire to spend big on it, but it's only a few k into it's new cambelt/water pump so it'll be a better bet to spend on it rather than buy something else, but no matter what I spend on it it'll only ever be worth £300, and I can imagine the lolz selling it on gumtree would be...

God I hate it so much, boring bland slug that it is

The post cat sensor monitors the gasses comes out of the cat . The primary sensor switches from 0.1 to 0.9 v about once a second ( rich to lean ) the post cat one should hover around 0.5 ish volts if the cats in good order . The ecu monitors this output and if it has too many "zero crosses " ( ie copies the primary sensor ) it throws a cat efficiency fault code . It's not a sensor fault !

• Like 4

My panda didn't exactly sail through its mot. The worst bit being it needs a new cat. It also need 2 shocks , a front wishbone and bushes done at the back on both sides. Do I spunk 500 quid on it or cut my losses and lose a couple of hundred quid on it ? Answers on a postcard.

Depends on what you use it for.

If you pay the money and get 6 months before selling then probably worth it. If it doesnt do many miles then get it sold

It's a 2nd car, I bought from the auction as a bit of fun as it's a 100hp, changed the wheels then lost interest. it's a bit of a heap to be honest.

bill for putting an MOT on the XJR has come in.

£450 odd including the drat.

that includes the test, a pair of second hand damper bushes for the back axle and a fulcrum pin also in the back axle on the passenger side.

dunno what exactly one of those is i dunno, other than they cost something like £90. 

now, should i keep it and run the car over summer, or just cost my losses and move it on??

if I had to choose between an xjr or a panda 100hp to spend 450-500 on for MOT

it'd no be a bamboo munching impotent mime bear i picked.

get the panda hunted Cort, and spend the 5ton doing the p6 headgaskets:)

fayl

• Reason(s) for failure
    Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
    front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases at cat (7.1.2)
    Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)
    Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
    Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)
    nearside front Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)
    offside front Shock absorber has an excessively worn shock absorber pivot (2.7.4)
    nearside rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    offside rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    nearside Front suspension has excessive movement at a wishbone pin or bush (2.5.A.1c)
    Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    rear Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.5b)
    offside front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
    offside Front suspension has slight movement at a wishbone pin or bush (2.5.A.1c)
    offside front inner brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
    rear inner brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
    offside rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

+1 on the special sockets. I have one, bought it when I changed the exhaust the first time. It worked bloody well, stronger than the rusty old sensor that sheared off above the thread... £70 for a new sensor then... (Bent over by ECP, Amy needed it that night to get to work, she wouldn't drive the XM)

Would software help tell me which sensor will be throwing the code? The post cat sensor will come out easily, it's not had a chance to rust in yet (new centre section before crimbo). The pre cat on the manifold will be a proper prick I imagine, it looks rusty as well, so will probably shear off too, requiring a new manifold, and then a new sensor...

I can see this turning into the sort of job I just ignore until something explodes, or limp it through until next year when I get my yearly bonus and get amy another car...

But then some quick googling reveals £120 all in for a new manifold/cat (seems their one whole unit), plus £20 for a new sensor (all non genuine)

I have to get a 'type approved' cat don't I being 2004?

Being on 86k though, the original clutch will probably shit itself 48 miles after doing all this work however...

I'll leave it for now though, MOT is in November, and I'll see how long the light stays off for with a few resets, if it fails the emissions I'll just act ignorant and get it fixed. It's been puffing gentle wisps of bluey smoke when cold too, so it's not 100% healthy, Amy remarks sometimes that she can smell hot oil, although the block is never any more oily than usual.

It doesn't help that I hate the car, so have no desire to spend big on it, but it's only a few k into it's new cambelt/water pump so it'll be a better bet to spend on it rather than buy something else, but no matter what I spend on it it'll only ever be worth £300, and I can imagine the lolz selling it on gumtree would be...

God I hate it so much, boring bland slug that it is

A bottle of cataclean and keep ignoring it for a bit is also an option

Its the one I'm going for for now! Shes not driven it since I turned the light off on Sunday morning, itll do 1/4 a mile to school tomorrow, then 4 miles to chinnor, 4 1/4 miles back to school, 1/4 miles home and sit again until weds.

Its why she doesn't have a diesel!

My phone contract is ending after two years. As on O2 was looking forward to a smaller bill as the phone would be paid off.

Well what do you know but a software update has knackered it... Some would say it's a conspiracy....

I did something to my back yesterday getting some fencing off the back of a lorry. Can't stand up straight now. :(

Not content with just knackering my back, I am sat awake at 3am waiting for the pain killers to kick in as I think I have managed to break my little toe twatting it on a door.

I hope these things don't come in threes.