The grumpy thread

outlaw118

If they believe you, you go in your way. If they don't, one of their nice contractors will turn.up with a slide bed recovery truck and you won't see your motor again until you've paid a £150 kidnap few and £25 a day ransom. If you get this on a Fri night you're knackered (and an extra £50 lighter( until Monday.

Then, when you take your docs in, prove you were insured anyhow and ask for s refund they tell you to.take it up with DVLA and you're Fucked. Take your policy with you or a photocopy or photograph of the same in your phone, then if you get rugged you have proof.

I was told that its police policy not to seize a car if the driver insists that its insured, in that case they should only give a producer. If they can get the driver to admit that they don't have cover then they seize. This was back when the insurance database was updated once a week or something. Could be different now.

My understanding too, LT.   I had a right ruck with Traffic a few months back when stopped in my shonkiest Strada (then used as large dogs transport) ; seemingly not on MID.

They tried calling the insurer, but being the weekend, no one was in.

Exasperated, and with a truck looming, I scribbled out a  20+ car list  & suggesting he checked they ALL belonged to me, and were ALL insured, by me.   Having reluctantly checked a couple, he relented & scribbled a producer.

I was then properly bollocked by SWMBO, at some considerable volume  (endangering the children/sheep/ aliens etc) -only  grudgingly accepting my innocence when I got straight online at home to find a green tick beside the Reg.

Civilian plod down at the nick confirmed MID too. No idea what happened; but I was damn close to getting it taken off me, with irretrievable costs incurred, (& a potential divorce!)

• Like 3

I would be inclined to politely argue that it was insured and they were wrong. After all the offence they could seize the car for it not being insured............unless not being on the MiD is also a seizure offence.

And what happens if you just refuse to let them take the car? Like just getting in and driving home? Or would they just call for a riot van and then pin you to the ground while stealing your car? Has this happened?

You'd probably have your tyres stingered, screen kicked in, pepper spayed and get pushed down the steps at the police station.

• Like 2

Looked at phone 2 missed calls, Wife and no.3 daughter. Call wife,she's in tears, as part of sorting out her Redundancy from a job she loves,it appears she was down as wrong pay scale and the company are demanding she pay back £5,700-bollocks!

Then return daughters call,she's in tears, some dozy bitch in a Grand Cherokee has reversed into her parked Arosa( with her sitting in it) in an Asda car park. The stroppy old cow then shouted at her and fucked off! A few people came over and comforted her saying they'd be witnesses but she doesn't want the hassle, she's sent me some pictures of the damage and it's just a scuffed wing and broken tail light. She's also sent pic of Jeep with reg number. This happened in Nottingham where daughter is at uni., apparently I'm not allowed to head up the M1 with my best can of unleaded and a box of matches to stake out Asda looking for Jeep Grand Cherokees, sometimes I think my family is getting soft.

• Like 2

Due to an advanced level of mingebaggeryness, I missed out on the holy grail of Corsas today, a 1.5TD :(

Due to an advanced level of mingebaggeryness, I missed out on the holy grail of Corsas today, a 1.5TD :(

I'm surprised you haven't got a 1.7td Astra/Vectra type thing mate. Veg friendly, turbo'd with your badge of choice.

I've had it with the poor quality replacement parts available for my Amazon. 

It's killed ANOTHER rear crank oil seal, and if I find it's down to poor bonding again [they're recon parts, the original felt is removed and a neoprene seal pressed in] I will lose it. The engine's not long gone back in and it had to have another rear crank oil seal during the rebuild because the last one broke up and nearly destroyed the (two year old) clutch. Replacing the felt original back in 2007 with SCTSH was not an experience I want to repeat. 

What else? Ah yes, the ball joint that flashed over brown ONE DAY after of being sat outside. Brilliant. Then we have the new tail light covers that snapped inside so there's no plastic plate protecting each of the bulbs from the light spill of its neighbour. Verily let us consider the bumper brackets that weren't 'approximately' similar, rather 'nothing like whatsoever'. Nice one, lads. Well worth the (stupid) sum of cash I laid out. What's the point if I can't attach them to the car without major modification? 

Had the carburettor rebuilt and it's weeping fuel out of the accelerator pump. The Zenith strip down kit replaces the original pump jet (too worn to be re-used) with one far larger that floods the engine after a minute or so. The MOT was booked in for Saturday - and with it blasting an oil slick twixt block and bell housing, not to mention the considerable petrol witness on the exhaust manifold, we can safely say that one's in the bin. 

Why can't the parts suppliers get their act together? They're putting out appalling quality spares that don't fit and that aren't durable. Do the British car brigade have this mither? I think I should be told. 

Enough is enough. If I don't get co-operation from the parties I've spent a lot of money with it's getting taken to my gran's and I'll deal with it when I next get chance - which may be a long time from now. I have other things to do. 

It slept for three years, it can sleep for another three for all I care.

• Like 2

I find exactly the same from a lot of suppliers Jon, it's not just Volvo if it's any consolation. 'Lucas' branded new electrical components are notoriously bad - I've heard of coils lasting just a few thousand miles where the original ones usually last 40-50 years and well over 100,000 miles.

I very rarely buy new. I would much rather refurb original parts, however worn. I hate to have to do a job twice.

You have my sympathies there- my toys would be a very long way from the pram.

Bought a flat pack garden shed from ebay,supposed to be delivered today.

My son went to work at 6  am & found it piled up in front garden.

Fuck knows when that arrived and will be very suprised if it is all there.

Bought a flat pack garden shed from ebay,supposed to be delivered today.

My son went to work at 6  am & found it piled up in front garden.

Fuck knows when that arrived and will be very suprised if it is all there.

Dave this sounds awful - although I did initially read it as 'bought a flat pack garden'.

The local bellend is driving up the hill half a mile away in his knackered Impreza. It is nearly a minute since I heard the distant but still vile throb of his twat-o-charged megaphone giant trumpet look at me slags exhaust.

The cat cringes as he passes. The birds have stopped singing.

One of these days I'm going to sneak out in the dead of night and fill the damn things exhaust with foam-in-a-can.

My driveway appears to be a cat toilet.

Not for the first time have I traipsed horrible stinking cat shit through the house.

Think it's time to buy a supa-soaker.

Or get one of these... :-)

Cats no longer choose my garden and tend to go elsewhere to crap. Apologies if the 'elsewhere' is your driveway of course.

post-5532-0-16862900-1393597916_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My understanding too, LT.   I had a right ruck with Traffic a few months back when stopped in my shonkiest Strada (then used as large dogs transport) ; seemingly not on MID.

They tried calling the insurer, but being the weekend, no one was in.

Exasperated, and with a truck looming, I scribbled out a  20+ car list  & suggesting he checked they ALL belonged to me, and were ALL insured, by me.   Having reluctantly checked a couple, he relented & scribbled a producer.

I was then properly bollocked by SWMBO, at some considerable volume  (endangering the children/sheep/ aliens etc) -only  grudgingly accepting my innocence when I got straight online at home to find a green tick beside the Reg.

Civilian plod down at the nick confirmed MID too. No idea what happened; but I was damn close to getting it taken off me, with irretrievable costs incurred, (& a potential divorce!)

had this in 2005 on way to work police bike stopped me (on my bike)

routine check sir

aye no bother

where ya goin

work 500 yards away (i ridden 3 miles)

check check bla bla (it was the same bike as he was riding)

its not insured (i fall over)

it was bought blah blah and insured before i went to collect - i still had the green slip in my jacket

they didnt believe me and called the truck (they told me it wasnt moted later but theres a reason for that)

ring work and tell then i wont be in cos of the feds

tell fed you can follow me home and i will show you all the docs and all the stuff for the bike 5 mins bike ride (id passed police station on way to work)

truck called and 120 quid and 12 quid a day they said

got to recovery place and rang insurance yes it is insured

why did the police think it wasnt??

because AS AN EX POLICE BIKE :lol: if they dont take it off their records it still shows as mot and insurance exempt (as i wasnt wearing police kit it might have looked a bit suss :D)

insurance were called and in no uncertain terms told refund the 120 and the time i lost and work and apology in writing (by the police :lol:

that cost them 150 quid and 200 to me for loss of earnings and sundries :D

so it can happen

• Like 3

Not certain if this a grump or a grin, but anyhoo:

Always have an eye on a bargain so check out our local Booths* supermarket regularly for reduced items. They had six twin packs of local potted shrimps on the shelf yesterday with a sell by date of 29/2/14, so nipped in this morning in the attempt to scoop them up for pennies. They had all disappeared off the shelf. Asked the assistant if they were going to be available in the 'reduced section' today.

Seems not. The reply was that as they had the sell by date of 29th Feb, which does not exist this year, they had been removed from the shelf for 'health and safety reasons*'. Deeming that as the date is non existent this year the goods had to be destroyed and not sold. So another needless waste of good food then.

*Other retailers of provisions are available.

Bobthebeard I didn't have a problem when Meg the dog was alive, maybe it's time (after 18 months) for a meggersdog2.

Meggersdog2 will be awaiting your love and its new, forever home at a rescue sanctuary nearby!

:-)

• Like 4

I've had it with the poor quality replacement parts available for my Amazon. 

Why can't the parts suppliers get their act together? They're putting out appalling quality spares that don't fit and that aren't durable. Do the British car brigade have this mither? I think I should be told. 

This used to come up quite frequently on the Triumph forum. Poor quality parts which either don't fit properly, fail prematurely or are simply unusable out of the box. I bought a clutch where the holes in the pressure plate were mis aligned, a rear trunnion rebuild kit with some really unevenly shaped bits in it and a gear linkage kit where I had to salvage the old metal parts because the new ones didn't fit. 

It drives me insane that people are going to all the trouble and expense of tooling up to manufacture these parts but not putting in the extra amount of effort to make them decent. Sadly, people buy the cheap shit even if it isn't very good and that discourages anyone from investing in making quality parts. 

Was told today that I still won't be able to do my FLT licence, despite repeated asking over three years - one guy at work asks once and he gets to do it! Where's the fucking sense in that? Also Gold Radio is to stop broadcasting in three weeks on AM! Why?!?!? This day has been SHIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was told today that I still won't be able to do my FLT licence, despite repeated asking over three years - one guy at work asks once and he gets to do it! Where's the fucking sense in that? Also Gold Radio is to stop broadcasting in three weeks on AM! Why?!?!? This day has been SHIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did mine at work and have used one maybe 3 times since. Not one of those occasions did I actually need to use one, but I just did anyway. The refresher should be a scream, I can barely remember how to get one started.

They had six twin packs of local potted shrimps on the shelf yesterday with a sell by date of 29/2/14...

The reply was that as they had the sell by date of 29th Feb, which does not exist this year...

Hmm.... given the date is probably computer generated it would seem easier to end all BB/EB as only evva 28-02... shit off the 1/4 of the century, like??

LoLzz   ;)

TS