Top Buyage Sir, looks a proper thing. Coolant flush and change would be a good idea as you've said, purely due to mileage - or lack of, let alone the possibility of OMGHGF.

There's been a few of these on here @Angrydicky has one, I'm sure he'll be along to offer support/warnings.

What a buy! Great cars indeed.  I had a diesel saloon for a bit and loved it, effortless thing to drive. Also has the Diesel ZS for a small while which was again, a nice thing to drive.

Good to see proper mats in it too. A rare thing indeed.

Don't believe it's too tricky to do a cambelt on these. I've a feeling a locking tool helps but I think it can be substituted for something else. It's amazing condition and colour! 

I'd be tempted to fit a low coolant light on any K series, but maybe that's overkill. Fresh coolant definitely wise.

Lovely looking 400 I sold my one a few years back  and it was a big mistake on my part as it ran like clockwork and was immaculate after I changed two of the doors and polished It up.

Mine had the Honda lump though as it was an auto and I bought it off an old girl for £250 then spent about £400 on it only to sell it with a years mot for £200 somehow I don’t think I would make a car dealer and it looks like it’s still giving sterling service.

C45D4B3F-43E9-45C8-923F-01F0D600EC37.jpeg

44B09BF9-8ABB-41F0-ABF2-5177D474ECC7.jpeg

66810412-B6EB-4B66-AB46-CFA4912976A3.png

Got this booked in for an MOT on Thursday morning,couple if things I know of that might need doing but it will be good to get someone to have a good check over it,I'm fairly confident though :-) alk so strange,and expensive! For me having only had old bikes for so long now,I know it will all balance out,I managed to insure it for £300 FC which I thought reasonable as I have zero no claims having not owned a car for five years.

Checked the colour code and it actually old English white,thought it looked familiar!

Thanks for the tip,it's s good 6-8 mile run to the test,will take s longer route,primary reason I went to look at it in first place was it's excellent mot history,so hoping it will behave,there is an exhaust blow somewhere,the back box is pretty crusty so could be that

This got bunged in for an MOT this morning,passed with an advisory on two tyres which I knew about,and a bit of rust near a front suspension mount,under drivers floor,I had a quick look as I hadn't seen it and I think it will wire brush,rustkill and stone chip. not bad for a 21 year old Rover :-)

interior lights was just a missing fuse, exhaust was deemed fine,it just sounds fruity.The emmisiond were better than most modern cars the tester said, extremely low,which is great as I haven't put new filters and plugs in yet due to non arrival from ecp.

Garage quoted me 320 to fit a cambelt kit and water pump,does that sound reasonable? Though I could probably do it myself it's not really something I want to tackle and would take me far longer than the time they've quoted for! They were quite complimentary on the car and were of the opinion that it wasn't worth doing the head gasket unless it started to play up,and they've known them run to 70k plus before any signs.

This has been surprisingly rewarding to work on,the advisory for rust on inspection was nothing more than a blister under the underseal and a bit if light surface rust,I peeled it back,wire brushed and rust killed and now has a coat of zinc primer.habent worked out what rubbery spray to use yet.if that's all he found we are in good shape.Front towing eyes were a bit scabby,again a wire brush and they are very solid,so they have had the same treatment. Changed the oil and filter as it was in definite need of a change,new air filter,and replaced the pollen filter which was the original and disgusting!

Haven't driven it yet as haven't changed the tax class,plus at the moment im not going anywhere do didn't see the need,though I would like to drive it a bit to get a bond going.overall so far it's proving to be worthwhile of s bit if effort and hopefully will give me a few years motoring 

If you have the time it is probably well worth you having a go at it.

You have proved that you are more than capable of series jobs but I understand the comfort zone feeling.

SWMBO bought one new. The only troubles of note were a water leak behind the cylinder head - just an O ring, a holed radiator and fatigue-failiure of the bracket that holds the clutch slave cylinder.

When she had the Rover, I bought a new Golf*.  The Rover was a much better car in every  possible way. Poor Rover died of engine abuse on the M4 one night, at about 150,000 miles because she ignored the rattling and oil warning light ("because I was in a hurry").

**Twat

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By vulgalour
      So many broken picture links!  I'll fix it one day.

I feel I can finally unlurk properly now that I have something worthy of Autoshite to post about.

Day One

In the cold light of Day Two

Came with some great features.

The best thing about vinyl is that you *can* scrub it clean and with this old boat that was needed; everything was sticky and left a black residue on the hands. I've only been able to bring myself to spend an hour on the driver's door, the rest will have to wait for now.

Doesn't look as big as it feels, weirdly.

This is going to be my new daily in a few months, just got to get through a lot of cleaning and a bit of fettling. She's actually not that bad overall and only cost me £450 (plus £25 day insurance to collect her).

The problems?
      >Quite a few rust blebs, but nothing serious or structural
      >Handbrake needs adjusting, I have to chock the wheels when parked on the drive
      >Driver's door window doesn't work
      >Probably decades of hand grease and silicone spray, built up in alternating layers. The engine bay is cleaner than the cabin.
      >Bonnet rams don't hold up the bonnet.
      >Neither do the boot rams.
      >Garage fitted electric fuel pump has no supressor, interferes with the LW/MW radio
      >PYE tape deck needs new belts, music played on it sounds like it's underwater
      >Bad previous respray with water contamination.

But you know what, none of that matters. She's supremely comfortable and with some TLC over the summer should be in fine fettle. I'm not sure whether or not the people that look with face agog and jaw slack as I drive past are impressed, worried or amazed that a beige Princess with a brown roof still exists and is out on the road with someone a long way from pensionable age driving it.
    • By Twin-Cam
      After BMW dumped MG Rover in the year 2000, things were not good.
      The Rover Group had been relieved of its most valuable assets in Land Rover and MINI, being left with the new Rover 75 and the ageing 25 and 45 ranges. Land Rover had gone to Ford, to join former British Leyland stablemate Jaguar. Meanwhile the new owners of MG Rover, the Phoenix Consortium, paid a nominal sum of £10 to BMW, with £500 million going the other way to secure the short-term future of the company. Despite derision towards what BMW had done to Rover, and jubilation among the Longbridge faithful at new ownership, Rover needed new models fast. Very quickly, the Rover 75 Tourer was launched, then the facelift MG F, now known as the MG TF, and finally the new range of MG saloon cars, the ZR, ZS, and ZT, or better known as the three Rover models with some sporty bits attached. Although well received, these new MGs were not what Rover needed. Yes, they expanded the range and attracted new customers, but being based on existing cars they weren’t going to save MG Rover. It’s not as if they weren’t trying though. There were a couple of notable and interesting models in the works, such as the RDX 60, a Rover 45 replacement. The constant problem however, was cash.

Enter Tata. The enormous Indian conglomerate had its own city car, the Tata Indica, and Rover lapped up the opportunity to introduce a new model. Rover had been absent from this end of the market since the end of Mini and Metro production, and despite the Indica being a five year old design, it was relaunched in Britain as the CityRover in 2003. The cars were built by Tata in Pune, India, then shipped over to Britain where Rover nailed on a Viking long ship badge, some new bumpers, stiffer suspension, and quicker steering. It’s safe to say this recipe wasn’t very successful. MG Rover refused to lend a CityRover to Top Gear magazine to test, leading to one of the most iconic moments in Top Gear history, with James May going undercover to test drive a CityRover at a Rover dealer. Not only did this debacle make the CityRover something of a laughing stock, but the car itself was never going to set the world alight with its cheap interior and underwhelming characteristics, even if it was very practical and rather quick.

Rover didn’t have much of a say on how the car was engineered. They had originally wanted to make many more changes to the original Tata before the CityRover went on sale, but were denied. By early 2005, with sales figures disappointing everybody, Tata and Rover went about updating the CityRover to make it more desirable. By April, the new CityRovers were on the ships, headed towards Britain, and while they were sailing over, MG Rover went bust. The date was April 8th, 2005. The question lingered over what would happen to these cars. Most of them went back to Tata, but some slipped through the net and were sold by Motorpoint at a knockdown price of £3999 on the road. Amazingly, these Mk2 CityRovers sold quite well. Maybe that was due to the new trim, or maybe it was the price. MG Rover charged way over the odds for the old CityRover, and perhaps Motorpoint had found the equilibrium price. Whatever the outcome, MG Rover was dead and so was Tata’s entry into the European market. Or so we thought.
      Three years later Ford was looking to offload its premium brands of Jaguar and Land Rover, with Tata being the preferred bidder. By mid-2008, Tata was the proud new owner of these two great institutions, but in a twist of fate, they also ended up with the Rover name. When MG Rover went under, Ford exercised their right to buy the name from BMW, who had been licencing it out to MG Rover until they went under in 2005. Only five years after the launch of the CityRover and Tata’s first exposure in Britain, they controlled the lot. Fast forward twelve years, and Jaguar Land Rover is producing exciting, innovative models like the Jaguar I-Pace. A world away from the little city car that Tata donated to Rover back in 2003. It’s been heavily rumoured for a few years now that Land Rover may wish to create a rebadged Jaguar XJ, known by the press as the ‘Road Rover’. So maybe, in the next few years, Tata may be launching a Rover for themselves.
      If you’re at all interested, here’s my review of the CityRover: https://youtu.be/VpSQGlu6wF0
      …and you can find me on YouTube here: https://YouTube.com/TwinCam

• By Insideimsmiling
      As a sort of Jay Leno on minimum wage and an admitted car addict what should be my next bargain buy? I have a history littered with old mainly British cars and the oil stains on the drive to prove it, however with the days of cheap Triumph and Morris motors over where do I go to get my fix? The time when an Allegro or Vanden Plas could be picked up in the local classified section is long gone and people have now accepted Metros as collectable. Hell I used to be a weirdo for seeing a BRM Rover as desirable and not just an old motor with a tacky interior and a hooker's lipstick. Now I have always thought that the Streetwise was an idea ahead of it's time and I have one as a daily driver, with an MG TF covering the sports car need an old Jag for that pub landlord look, but to get my fix do l go for a City Rover or is that a step too far? I want something from the Firm even if it is an Indian take away and these are yet to go up as modern classic's, so I am thinking a high spec in black with some tasteful alloys.Will the coming Pride of Longbridge include a smattering of CityRovers or are they a step too far and destined to virtual extinction like the Austin Ambassador?
    • By CaMIRO
      Hadn't seen this in a few years, always seems like I'm watching it for the first time. Thought someone else might appreciate seeing it again.

http://www.veoh.com/list/c/MGROVER