BFG resistance is futile - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

Got mad and pushed the cover a lot harder and bingo it went on.

The bad news is that when the ignition is on, the led's stay lit (but at a low level, not as bright as when they flash). They do flash as expected, when indicating.

Ignition off and they flash every 5 seconds (again not max strength, but noticeable).

I'm assuming that the cheap Chinese totalitarian w*nker, who owns the factory where the part was made, told the slaves not to put a resistor in the wiring.

I believe that the part is NLA with merc, so what do I do.

No mention on forums of other people having the same issue.

Also a tad worried, that if left for awhile it will drain the battery.

Why, is nothing straightforward in life ?

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to BFG resistance is futile - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

I don't think the original was LEDs. I think it was bulbs?
Can you swap the other bits around.

Usually the flashing is the circuit lighting up the bulb briefly to see if the bulbs are working. With incandescent bulbs, it happens so quickly that it doesn't get to light. But LEDs light up quicker and you see it.

I imagine it'll stop flickering a few minutes after locking when it's shut everything down.

1 minute ago, SiC said:

I don't think the original was LEDs. I think it was bulbs?
Can you swap the other bits around.

Usually the flashing is the circuit lighting up the bulb briefly to see if the bulbs are working. With incandescent bulbs, it happens so quickly that it doesn't get to light. But LEDs light up quicker and you see it.

I imagine it'll stop flickering a few minutes after locking when it's shut everything down.

Ok, will go check.

Anyway of getting them to stop lighting up permanently when ignition is on?

I may have to phone every Merc Stealer in the country to see if they have any old stock.

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Can the old one be easily pulled apart, cleaned up and put back in?

Or even the bulb section back in to replace the LEDs?

Maybe but I suspect it would be a major bit of surgery.

As I suspected, light still flashing every 5 seconds. Common problem with cheap led products.

Will try and get one from a scrappy.

9 minutes ago, SiC said:

Might need a bit of work on the connector as no puddle light on that one. Small screwdriver pushing down on the contact tabs should allow them to slide out. 

Didn't notice that :(

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Quick trip to pub this lunchtime.

She looks good in the car park.

20240426_122056.jpg.3e8af1d7ae4690ed8c29b1aa5ee607e7.jpg

But she ain't built for short journeys.

20240426_121253.jpg.3b36ee26f4aee133a3f6154066484a05.jpg

As someone on the W211 Faceache group said - might as well have bought the 5 litre.

I need to ponder that potential life choice :)

It was something I did ponder but then it's not possible to get a (decent) E500 for E320 sort of money though! Also 2 miles in without it barely even got heat through the engine, the E500 would be even worse. 

I decided it was best to just stopped looking at the MPG screen. 🙃 

6 minutes ago, SiC said:

It was something I did ponder but then it's not possible to get a (decent) E500 for E320 sort of money though! Also 2 miles in without it barely even got heat through the engine, the E500 would be even worse. 

I decided it was best to just stopped looking at the MPG screen. 🙃 

Lol yes I'm reaching the same conclusion !

9 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Quick trip to pub this lunchtime.

She looks good in the car park.

20240426_122056.jpg.3e8af1d7ae4690ed8c29b1aa5ee607e7.jpg

But she ain't built for short journeys.

20240426_121253.jpg.3b36ee26f4aee133a3f6154066484a05.jpg

As someone on the W211 Faceache group said - might as well have bought the 5 litre.

I need to ponder that potential life choice :)

That's a bit poo, but look at it... It's a beautiful car, it's a lovely place to be AND management is very happy

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

That's a bit poo, but look at it... It's a beautiful car, it's a lovely place to be AND management is very happy

Went the long way home via Shell :) in Westfield.

The MPG improved a bit.

20240426_131057.jpg.169513427e15d41150a3f62746531fa3.jpg

Now off to Westbury Sub Mendip (other side of Wells), to take Sang to medical appointment, so will see if stretching her legs improves things.

Then I'm going to stop looking at MPG numbers :)

You are psychic 
20240426_170803.jpg.d4aa57d6d4523b20258af80d0ec57b10.jpg

Nah just stared at that display so much that I got good at predicting it!

Thing is, while the diesels get more, the I6 with the more reliable 5G-Tronic (same gearbox as this) seems to only gets 28-30mpg odd for similar driving from the FB groups. On a run they can do the 35mpg odd but not a whole lot more. But not CAZ and the diesels still have their own issues as they age. Turbo, injectors and such.

It's the later 7G-Tronic that does much better - mostly as it uses lockup more. However then you're in the territory of that box blowing up (nowhere near as reliable), black death on the injectors for the diesel and/or chain issues on the petrol & diesels.

Basically on the E320 V6 petrol with the 5G-tronic, the main battle is not borkability but instead just the thirst. It also seems worse as you've come from a modern diesel attached to a DSG like box.

24mpg around town for a 3.0 petrol is not bad. You should, with any luck, get somewhere approaching 30mpg on a run, late 20s I expect. We get this out of our 3.0 Jaguar X Type. A little thirsty I grant you, but what a wonderful place to sit. 

20 minutes ago, 2flags said:

24mpg around town for a 3.0 petrol is not bad. You should, with any luck, get somewhere approaching 30mpg on a run, late 20s I expect. We get this out of our 3.0 Jaguar X Type. A little thirsty I grant you, but what a wonderful place to sit. 

I confess, I do forget its got a big lump under the bonnet sometimes.

As well as ordering a wing mirror cover from a scrappy, that has the indicator, but not the puddle lamp wiring, I've also bought a much more expensive replacement indicator from Eurowagons Ltd.

They have good feedback, so hoping it will have a resister fitted.