The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

7 hours ago, dikkehemaworst said:

Me thinks itsĀ  a scania

Screenshot_20221013_132444.jpg

Another good stab at it but I don't think they sold these here so what was it doing at Spitalfeilds market - a delivery of pine nuts fresh from the fjords?

I'm sticking with the Dennis hunch....

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, martc said:

image.png.b23c758bd86564b012e0337d4dfd6611.png

Heimola House the home of two cinemas, Aloha and Arita in Helsinki, 1952. Yer men in macks seem to be more interested in the earthly delights of 'Bittert Ris' than this land yacht. Can you identify it?

The first thing that struck me was Pontiac but I can't find any model similar to the picture, I also checked Buick as it has a bit of GM in it but I can't find anything similar there either. A Packard Clipper is similar but not quite. So I don't know.

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

D-type Jag?

I'm not sure, the wings don't look bulbous enough for the D Type and the radiator aperture looks a bit big. The Ferrari 250 from the 50's had straighter wings and a larger oval grille but I'm not sure the factory made a convertible,Ā but some body builders did.Ā 

28 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Probably one for @barrett. Ā  The only marque/model that came to my mind was an OSCA 1600 of 1960, but I'm not convinced and can't find a soft top version of it anyway.

No doubt.Ā  I think it's Italian, as it bears a passing resemblance to all sorts of things such as the Moretti, SIATA and Cisitalia convertibles.Ā  Can't say for definite that it is any of those, however.Ā  The front has a little bit of Cobra about it, but the picture is too early for one of those.Ā  The oddity is the apparent shape of the rear wings; they are flat, whereas Italian roadsters of the period tended to be a bit more shapely round the back.Ā Ā 

14 hours ago, D.E said:

Paris, 1960. What is the silver sports car?

I've measured the wheels, it's a Sunbeam Alpine.

Dunno, actually. Looks typically French vernacular to me. Just like the Brits and Ford Pops & Austin Sevens, there were hundreds, maybe thousands of Frenchmen chopping up Simcas, 203s, 403s, 4CVs and the like in France in the late 40s-50s. Not anything I've seen before but most of them were undocumented at the time, and the few that are known about are the ones that either raced, or survived. Good spot.