eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

3 hours ago, spartacus said:

This guy could have written the ad out for you Si. I can't help feeling you've talken yourself out of your 520 and into something like this already.

Yeah I'm not feeling the love for the 520i at the moment. I was really looking forward to getting it, working on it and then going for a drive. However when I sold the 1100, I did a video of a test drive of it and it was the first time this year I had properly drove it. Absolutely loved running around the back lanes in it and I did question if I was doing the right thing. The only thing I had against it was the parts supply being more limited than the traditional classics.

The BMW is a great car but it's also a big lumbering machine in comparison. Sophisticated is probably the right word. Not only in complexity but the appeal. I'm not sure I'm the sophisticated type!

Then coupled with the cooling system issue with the BMW further dampened my enthusiasm. Not just the blockage (even though that pushed it over) and the accessibility to that pipe but also the hassle in just trying to locate a replacement radiator. Mrs SiC didn't help matters by questioning and stating that she didn't think I would enjoy driving it when I was ranting about it at the weekend, exactly for reasons that already going round my mind...

The final nail was reading @Danterzza mini thread and @MarvinsMom mentioning that she was thinking of selling hers (but I think she loves hers too much to let go - which I don't blame her!), made me start looking at Minis. Even though they are many times more expensive than a 1100, a Mini has much greater parts support and that to me is a good thing and solves the issue that I have with the ADO16. I know some people find that as a turn off, but for me, I hate having to hunt around for an allusive unobtainable part, so I can actually go drive the car and have fun. Something I love my MGB for.

I still need to get the BMW MOT'd then go from there. A good proper drive may change my outlook on it and my opinion may flip quickly back towards it. Even if it doesn't, I've generally enjoyed working on the car and once it's got an MOT, it's another car that has been saved from stripped for parts. AFAIK that is almost certainly what would have happened if Steve sold it to the buyer that was after it too.

If I do sell, I'll do my darnest to find someone that isn't buying it because "it's a cheap old scruffy BMW, so let's fuck around with it/drive it into the ground". Far too many old cars, especially BMWs, end up like that and don't make it to be classics. This is a detriment to those who want to buy actual classics as supply is further limited and prices are reflected because of that. Also a shame to have a car last this long and deteriorate/die like that.

Maybe if I had kids and needed the extra size + seats of something like the 5-series, then it would be a no-brainer to keep it. But I can easily have an impractical car as a toy and I prefer 2dr/coupe/roadsters. The 520i certainly a cool car and one that is appreciated by many, but the swingometer of whether it's a car for me (at this time) is verging to the "No it's not"...

2 hours ago, Asimo said:

Sorry, but it looks to me like the kind of wob-job, spray and polish that lots of minis got 20 - 30 years ago that probably didn't make it through their next mot.

Oh I completely agree. I wouldn't buy without having a good look over. But the reality is, most of these classics at this price range are that. I remember reading that to restore any classic professionally, you're looking at like £25k. So if it's worth less than that, you're very much at risk of being bodged to get back on the road. Of course not all are like that, just takes some hunting to find one not.

Unfortunately now I've got my mind set on a mini, I'm hell-bent on trying to find one! Every waking minute I'm not doing my day job, my mind is wanting to check every possible portal in finding one. This is dangerous as I end up getting fatigued and jumping to something otherwise I'd not usually consider. But at the same time, I know I can't buy until something else is sold. That at the moment is looking like the BMW and that still needs an MOT, plus a good drive to see if I'm going to regret selling it.

Peak criteria for me is unmodified pre-80s. Lashings of chrome, skinny wheels, no plastic arch extensions and ideally big chrome Smith's Speedo dash. 

First World Problems and all that...

17 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

Nearly identical to the one I used to have - mine had grey herringbone cloth and black plastic door handles. The state of those seats and the steering wheel makes me think it's been round the clock.

34 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yeah I'm not feeling the love for the 520i at the moment. I was really looking forward to getting it, working on it and then going for a drive. However when I sold the 1100, I did a video of a test drive of it and it was the first time this year I had properly drove it. Absolutely loved running around the back lanes in it and I did question if I was doing the right thing. The only thing I had against it was the parts supply being more limited than the traditional classics.

The BMW is a great car but it's also a big lumbering machine in comparison. Sophisticated is probably the right word. Not only in complexity but the appeal. I'm not sure I'm the sophisticated type!

Then coupled with the cooling system issue with the BMW further dampened my enthusiasm. Not just the blockage (even though that pushed it over) and the accessibility to that pipe but also the hassle in just trying to locate a replacement radiator. Mrs SiC didn't help matters by questioning and stating that she didn't think I would enjoy driving it when I was ranting about it at the weekend, exactly for reasons that already going round my mind...

The final nail was reading @Danterzza mini thread and @MarvinsMom mentioning that she was thinking of selling hers (but I think she loves hers too much to let go - which I don't blame her!), made me start looking at Minis. Even though they are many times more expensive than a 1100, a Mini has much greater parts support and that to me is a good thing and solves the issue that I have with the ADO16. I know some people find that as a turn off, but for me, I hate having to hunt around for an allusive unobtainable part, so I can actually go drive the car and have fun. Something I love my MGB for.

I still need to get the BMW MOT'd then go from there. A good proper drive may change my outlook on it and my opinion may flip quickly back towards it. Even if it doesn't, I've generally enjoyed working on the car and once it's got an MOT, it's another car that has been saved from stripped for parts. AFAIK that is almost certainly what would have happened if Steve sold it to the buyer that was after it too.

If I do sell, I'll do my darnest to find someone that isn't buying it because "it's a cheap old scruffy BMW, so let's fuck around with it/drive it into the ground". Far too many old cars, especially BMWs, end up like that and don't make it to be classics. This is a detriment to those who want to buy actual classics as supply is further limited and prices are reflected because of that. Also a shame to have a car last this long and deteriorate/die like that.

Maybe if I had kids and needed the extra size + seats of something like the 5-series, then it would be a no-brainer to keep it. But I can easily have an impractical car as a toy and I prefer 2dr/coupe/roadsters. The 520i certainly a cool car and one that is appreciated by many, but the swingometer of whether it's a car for me (at this time) is verging to the "No it's not"...

Oh I completely agree. I wouldn't buy without having a good look over. But the reality is, most of these classics at this price range are that. I remember reading that to restore any classic professionally, you're looking at like £25k. So if it's worth less than that, you're very much at risk of being bodged to get back on the road. Of course not all are like that, just takes some hunting to find one not.

Unfortunately now I've got my mind set on a mini, I'm hell-bent on trying to find one! Every waking minute I'm not doing my day job, my mind is wanting to check every possible portal in finding one. This is dangerous as I end up getting fatigued and jumping to something otherwise I'd not usually consider. But at the same time, I know I can't buy until something else is sold. That at the moment is looking like the BMW and that still needs an MOT, plus a good drive to see if I'm going to regret selling it.

Peak criteria for me is unmodified pre-80s. Lashings of chrome, skinny wheels, no plastic arch extensions and ideally big chrome Smith's Speedo dash. 

First World Problems and all that...

When I was selling my first Cadillac in 2002 I ended up taking in an E28 (525e auto) and a Mini Mayfair, both 1987E reg.  I had the BMW four weeks and the Mini four months.  I think that's a vote for the Mini!

Auto is what swung me on the 525, but it was just the wrong car.  Shame, as on paper it could have been exactly right for me.  I sold it to a mate and he used it for towing his speedboat (replacing a W123 200 saloon).  He part-exed me some alloy wheels for the Mini...

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

They bought it.

I'm currently pissing myself laughing at their expense.

I should point out that the person in question is not me incase anyone though so! It could end up on my drive for a little while though...and I've a feeling I may get roped into any plan to get it here.

I am having a massive laugh at him for this too though. 🤣

30 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Two day sale coming up at Anglia Car Auctions.

Too much to list here, so https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/saturday-1st-sunday-2nd-may/

Does this signify that the humble Volvo 440 has entered Classic Car “Society”? (with the smallest dowry of everyone this season presumably - poor thing)

63E818D2-4231-447B-830E-BAB6C93EFAA4.thumb.jpeg.e7ca586567d013b62eb4ffa14f09c3b1.jpeg