Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

There is something strange going on with the mileage too 68k, 71k, 76k. 129k. 84k. Also interesting that the last test (fail) is only 2 months after passed an MOT, I suppose the tester who found the brakes to be leaking and barely working might be a bit more critical of the other rusty pipes that are covered in grease.

Rust never sleeps

As I say when I had the car in ~2014, it wasn't even an issue. There was very minor rust with the pipes I took them to get cleaned up and that was that, it was never something I was worried about. Here's the last I seen of the car in 2015 with the new owner, he had already put a dent in the sills within weeks of owning it... :( and some again minor rust around the arches...

photo_2015-06-02_14-20-21.jpg

photo_2015-06-02_14-20-23.jpg

photo_2015-06-02_14-20-25.jpg

A message from my brother

I need your advice. Thought you could ask you car nerd friends.

Volvo was sluggish to start. And sounded whiney...
It would turn over slowly for about 2-3 seconds and then turn over normally and start and then you would get a whine noise as it started.  only at the point of starting.. car runs so well.
Yesterday and today the car has turned over and started fast.. like really fast almost like it is running away with it self.. does that make sense..
And when it did start there was a whistle. Only slight and only for a second.. car drives spot on.
Any ideas what the hell that is..

Volvo in question a 2.0 diesel, 07. 

Well, yes.Actually this sounds like a partially siezing turbocharger. Worse when it gets hot. Eventually it siezes so badly that it becomes a restriction to the inlet and exhaust. Then all cools down again and it starts spinning a bit, but not enough to make boost.Pressure/vacuum gauge on the inlet fannymould will tell you if this is the case or a load of old bollocks.Could also be a collapsed exhaust silencer or some other inlet/exhaust restriction. If the fuel consumption is as expected, I doubt it's a fuelling issue.

Thanks. Yes, turbo makes sense. I had a Maverick a few years ago with the same engine and it was a good towcar, whereas this is awful. All filters have been changed. Think it is mechanical injection

Guest Hooli

Actually, I think I might be talking shit there. Would be true if it were a petrol engine, but this is a diesel, and I assume is a mechanical injection engine? if so, then the injection pump wouldn't "know" that there was any kind of restriction, and would fuel just as hard as normal, meaning you'd be black smoking if there was a restriction in the inlet system, and the fuel consumption would be abysmal if there was a restriction in the exhaust.

Have you checked the fuel filter for full blocking? I had an XUD develop massively reduced power once, which was a blocked fuel filter. Still drove fine, just with only 15hp.

Mechanical pumps have boost sensing, normally a diaphragm that the boost moves to adjust the fueling pin. So your logic works.

No refund received. Advice needed.

I returned an Alternator to ATP Electronic Developments in January as it was faulty. It was delivered to me on a Monday and returned exactly one week later. The company requested that I return it, together with a copy of the invoice, which I did, and they would then issue a full refund. Today I received my bank statement, checked it, and no refund has been issued.

I am very annoyed by this development. ATP seems to me to be a company run on bullshit! I am inclined to send them a Recorded Delivery letter, giving them 14 days to rectify things, after which, if no refund is received, I will issue a Small Claims Court Summons. Is there a better way to handle this situation, I wonder?

How about just phoning them up about the refund. It might be that they haven't kept your account details to refund the money. With all the data protection bollocks they would (should) of destroyed those details as soon as they had taken payment. Best to call and ask politely before going all small claims court on them.

Will a 1905cc XUD head fit on a DW8 block?

An XUD head will fit in replacement of a DW8 head. There are a few mods due to the injector and glow plug positions being reversed. The injector pipes need a little bend and one vane on the block needed a bit of a grind back to clear a blank plate which my old head had a core plug in.

Found here :-)https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31686

When did lorries stop wearing 'long vehicle' signs on the back?

Motor vehicles over 13m first used on or after 1st April 1996

Trailers over 13m manufactured on or after 1st October 1995

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/2280/schedule/2/made

"Old" ones

signs222.gif

"New" ones with empty boxes = same meaning.

large-goods-vehicle-markings.jpg

Those are the obligatory markings, extra non-obligatory old-school "LONG VEHICLE" signs may be added on.

Scouring Germany for a nice car transporter to buy, and I've found a few trailers with these hitches.

I've never seen anything like them here so I'm assuming spares won't be easy to come by at my local ifor dealer, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?

post-577-0-62336900-1521801371_thumb.jpg

I've just sold my hefty PRG beavertail to get something lighter. Stuff doesn't seem to be any cheaper in Germany necessarily, but I would quite like an Anssems eco transporter as they're made of a lot of aluminium. Can buy new here but some second hand ones to be found in Germany where they're made and I guess more common. Missed out on one last week. If I do get one I'll update my thread on here in case I can shift a car back from the continent for someone on here.

Guest Hooli

Only other reason for them I can see is the longer neck on the trailer allows sharper turns without car/trailer interfaces.