Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Yes it will fail. Code read it first to confirm the fault and see if the light will stay off for the test. Worst case pull the bulb for the eml.

It’s not a fail on an 01 car . 03 onwards for petrols and 07 I think for diesels

Non motoring one here. My mains smoke alarm keeps going off. Disconnected it from mains and changed battery, and it still goes off even after I’ve held the reset down and it’s not connected to mains. Needless to say I’ve also cleaned it out with the Vac. What next???

Have you checked that the house is not on fire?

Any idea of how to Id these wheels?

They came with the new mx5 but are massively heavy so will sell them on.

I can't see any markings anywhere for ET etc. Nor is a brand stamped that I can find. 52d60d5cf5954192aee85b1d151ca6d2.jpg1cb3bd56f4c5defabcfcc253beb02bbf.jpg3111bcd2bc4de7b6fadbdafc5d30b11d.jpg

Meg's Clio 1.2 16V 51 plate.

Stalled or cut out on her a couple of times and then behaved itself.

I tried it and it seemed fine, then I tried it again and it ran a bit lumpy.

Code read and got these:

post-17457-0-64751100-1545925242_thumb.jpg

post-17457-0-25368000-1545925277_thumb.jpg

Also live data had this.

post-17457-0-48306700-1545925524_thumb.jpg

Any ideas where to start?

I have cleared the codes and am now off to search the internet for codes and causes but wondered what the Fuelsys1 CL fault was in the last picture.

CL is probably 'Closed Loop' ie self-adjusting mixture according the lamba/O2 sensor that's failed in the first code displayed. I'd ignore it, sort the P0136 code as that's probably the source of of the CL fault too because once the O2 readings are out of range the ECU will flag a fault like that & default to preset mixture settings (injector timings) for the safety of the engine.

I've just SORN'd the Mondy base for two months, should I go to my online bank and cancel the DD as well to be sure they don't take payment in error? 

As soon as I tell car tax, insurance, credit card etc I'm finished with them I cancel the DD straight away. Been stung before having my money taken despite the cancellation and had to fight to get my money back.

• Like 2

Any idea of how to Id these wheels?

They came with the new mx5 but are massively heavy so will sell them on.

I can't see any markings anywhere for ET etc. Nor is a brand stamped that I can find. 52d60d5cf5954192aee85b1d151ca6d2.jpg1cb3bd56f4c5defabcfcc253beb02bbf.jpg3111bcd2bc4de7b6fadbdafc5d30b11d.jpg

They look like multifit 4x100 and 4x108.

Are you sure there is no et info, maybe on the inside or on the back of a spoke?

If not you should be able to work it out more or less, the et is the distance from the mounting face to the wheel centreline in mm.

Thanks for the input on pits, the mechmate GRP one, or a slightly fancier dual-level one with a seat on runners would be brilliant. Obviously a 2 port lift would be better, but that'll require a two storey (or at least V tall single storey) garage to accomodate, and I'd have the fear that the car would tip off or something, whereas the pit appeals because the car can't fall any further if its on the garage floor.

As a mean scotsman the mechmate is abhorrently expensive for what is essentially an oddly shaped jacuzzi without a pump to squirt water up orifices or weird bum-shaped seats. A cheapnese hoist/lift thing can also be sold or taken with you if you move, whereas the hole in the ground is neither portable nor fungible.

Spent 20 mins on the phone with Carole Nash for them to remove £4 from a renewal cost of £186 for the Oxford.

What a bag of shite..

Anyone any suggestions re potential insurers? was going to try footman James / Peter James etc..

I know some folk also have "multi car" classic policies (skattrd and dollywobbler spring to mind?) - who are they with?

Cheers

Spent 20 mins on the phone with Carole Nash for them to remove £4 from a renewal cost of £186 for the Oxford.

What a bag of shite..

Anyone any suggestions re potential insurers? was going to try footman James / Peter James etc..

I know some folk also have "multi car" classic policies (skattrd and dollywobbler spring to mind?) - who are they with?

Cheers

My mixed classic/modern multi-car policy was with Peter James until about 3 weeks ago, it is now with Footman James.

Their products used to be quite similar, now they appear to be somewhat different.

I had to nominate my moderns with FJ to get business use on them, but I've got commuting and unlimited mileage on everything. Fully comp was £900, you know roughly how many cars I've got ;)

PJ have their own way of working things out, which seemed to be getting more confusing, however it did include business use on everything. My renewal was £1300 fully comp.

Drop me a msg if you want any more details.

Log burner / multi fuel / arga type proper old cast iron, pig burners.. 

the multi fuel / log burner Mrs Driveway and me have in our living room is the only heating we have, the hall and upstairs is Gas Central Heating.. I have been controlling the rusty Chinese recycled metal with Zip barbeque and fire polish, it is basically old fashioned black lead liquid cleaner / polish but it is solvent based and never dries.. this is bloody annoying when I go to clean the soot out every morning and clean the glass, I get black all over my hands and clothes ( if I'm wearing any ), and the colour is a right blighter to get off.. Is there a polish that cleans / dries so I don't look like a miner at lunch time ?

Can I tax a new to me car at the Post Office using the V5 buyers slip and MOT cert when it has an 11 digit reference number, not the later 12 digit? Cashier said I had to fill out a yellow V62 as if the V5 was missing, it wasn't the seller still has it to post with my name etc. The money not taken from account a day later, car still SORN. What now?

I’m writing a CV for a lorry driver. Any idea of what sort of competencies a company will be looking for other than the usual work 60 hours a week, don’t crash the truck stuff?

Never been convicted of being a serial killer?

Apols if this is not the correct place for this. There was a thread a couple of months back where a shiter was collecting a Honda Vision with a view to travelling some distance in it but had to abort due to split fuel hose. Could anyone link me to the thread? Can't find it using the search function

I’m writing a CV for a lorry driver. Any idea of what sort of competencies a company will be looking for other than the usual work 60 hours a week, don’t crash the truck stuff?

on mine it's

Over 25

UK License groups, expiry dates and points

Current drivers CPC

Digital tacho card

Current ADR classes

Experience, type of truck, overseas, big loads etc.

Log burner / multi fuel / arga type proper old cast iron, pig burners.. 

the multi fuel / log burner Mrs Driveway and me have in our living room is the only heating we have, the hall and upstairs is Gas Central Heating.. I have been controlling the rusty Chinese recycled metal with Zip barbeque and fire polish, it is basically old fashioned black lead liquid cleaner / polish but it is solvent based and never dries.. this is bloody annoying when I go to clean the soot out every morning and clean the glass, I get black all over my hands and clothes ( if I'm wearing any ), and the colour is a right blighter to get off.. Is there a polish that cleans / dries so I don't look like a miner at lunch time ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hotspot-Hydrachem-Black-Graphite-Stove-Grate-Fire-Woodburner-Polish-Restorer/321881399438?epid=1105442181&hash=item4af1a0608e:g:LjgAAOSwNgxWDQdK:rk:2:pf:0

That's the stuff I always use, it's much more cost effective to buy a tin rather than a tube. You can rub it on with a cloth or thin it and apply with a brush if doing a full re-furb. Buff it off after and you won't get covered in black after that.

post-25277-0-44546300-1546168337_thumb.jpg

post-25277-0-48763600-1546168376_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I would like to take a more full and wholesome part in the eBay tat thread (makes no sense I know). When I'm browsing shit on eBay how do I link pics and ads off eBay into my posts on here? If anyone does layman's terms that'd be handy as I'm not very computer literate (ie don't own one) so all this is done on a smart phone. Many thanks in advance...