ULEZ

purplebargeken

Legislation won't work, just make the alternative less shit.

This could sum up the logical response to about 95% of government policy over the last 50 years or so.

Casually checked my ZT-T on the site the other day and it said it was fine for ulez, even though it's a 2002 and the 2.5 V6, that can't be right can it?

I grew up in London but left a few years back and don't miss it. I had an average job and of course took a pay cut going to the midlands but the insane difference in housing costs more than covers that. I've made new friends but still sometimes visit my old ones. I have more space for cars but mostly cycle to work and around town because it's nicer. Basically to those that are thinking about leaving the smoke, just do it, you won't regret it.

Oh well, if it all goes to shit I'll just lob both cars in the barn, cover them up and wait to move (hahahahaha). Or, drive to the barn in the Hyundai which of course is fucking ULEZ compliant, park up and have a day out that does not involve the affected areas.

I've got until 2021, so who knows eh. No problems, only solutions........

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like for parking outside the house and 'stuff' I should be okay, however, going anywhere near the A406 will simply not be something I will do. Ever. 

Sadly visiting friends or businesses within the zone will simply cease unless in the Toledo.

Have an interactive map which should clarify things a bit more.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environment/air-quality-consultation-phase-3b/user_uploads/ulez-detailed-overview-map-interactive.pdf 

Looks like for parking outside the house and 'stuff' I should be okay, however, going anywhere near the A406 will simply not be something I will do. Ever. ...

I live to the north of the NCR, so will still continue to use it to get to Ealing (if I'm still working there by that time), in the non-compliant Borat diesel or the very non-compliant CX (think I might add some tetra-ethyl lead to the petrol for these occasions because nostalgia).

Could get interesting if I need to get to the Royal Free for my medical appointments, though....

• 3 months later...

Was out of the country when this came in, a colleague who shares my love of 80s and 90s tat warned me. Initial reactions: FUCK THEM - I'm slap bang in the middle of that zone and hate the idea of paying £12.50 to take the Saab for a spin. Later, more considered reaction involved casual Ebaying of interesting pre-1982 cars that can also cope with long-distance (and rapid) jaunts across the UK and maybe beyond. The P6 3500S itch is big, as is that for an early 924. Or a big Merc.... time to get saving. 

Without wanting to get political, we obviously do have local elections beforehand and you could imagine this coming up - it is clearly an issue beyond these pages. So I guess it may change (either in terms of scope or how it gets implemented) - watch this space. 

And one more bright spot. Lots of interesting cars may end up coming onto the market. At any rate there will be rich pickings for anyone putting a note on the really interesting stuff that owners will be looking to get rid of. 

Remember the ULEZ only currently applies to the current Congestion Charge Zone - so if you drive outside that you won't get a charge. In '21 the zone is extended to the North and South Circular so still a lot of London outside. The LEZ - low emmissions zone for vans and lorries is currently set at the M25. Confusing but not a 'blanket' charge in London.

TFL gleefully sent me a letter a couple of weeks ago to tell me my 2012 2.0 Tdi Passat would cost me an extra £12.50 to suffer the potholes and fucked up traffic management whenever I have to go into London. So that's £24 if it's a weekday.

I stupidly thought because it's £30 a year to tax it'd be OK, that'll teach me not to look into things properly.

Seems like another tax on the poor, if you live in London and can afford to go out and buy a shiny new car- no problem, if you can't tough shit. But that'd be politics so I won't mention that.

Most people, let alone poor people, living in the parts of London that this zone applies to, don’t have a car.

I think they’d rather have their families breath clean air. Doesn’t seem very polictical to me.

Also, by the time this roles out fully in 2011 I imagine a 2007 compliant car will cost about £300.

Most people, let alone poor people, living in the parts of London that this zone applies to, don’t have a car.

I think they’d rather have their families breath clean air. Doesn’t seem very polictical to me.

Also, by the time this roles out fully in 2011 I imagine a 2007 compliant car will cost about £300.

This.

Anyone who thinks it's political, please, one morning, walk with me and my kids to school in Harringay, then tell me there's not a problem with diesel as a source of air pollution in London. The air is disgusting.

My current cars will be non-compliant when it comes in, but there is plenty of cheap chod about that is. I'm not in any way anxious about having to deal with it.

No of course there’s absolutely no political motivation at all in reducing Londons Air Quality.

Or open a circus...

"Discount for showman's vehicles

Some showman's vehicles are eligible for a 100% discount from the ULEZ daily charge if they are registered to a person following the business of a travelling showman and have been modified or specially constructed. Trailers and semi-trailers which have been modified or specially constructed are not eligible for the 100% discount.

For a vehicle to be eligible for the discount, modifications or special constructions for the purpose of the show must be either:

• Used during the performance, or
  • Used for the purpose of providing the performance, or
  • Used for carrying performance equipment, or
  • Used for displaying animals to the public, or
  • Below the chassis level, such that it isn't possible to fit emission abatement equipment".

Lots of exemptions. Including pre-79 cars...which by 2021 may jump to 1981. Pre 81 includes a lot of nice cars. There are also resident exemptions for now.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions

....and in 2021, assuming I'm still alive and working in Ealing, the ULEZ still won't affect the Borat diesel as it won't be going inside the North Circular.

Sadiq has delayed implementation for residents within the zone until 2021 because he will no longer be Mayor then. His interests have always lain solely with advancement of his political career.

No delay in implementation nor discount exists for businesses within the ULEZ however, and despite being effected by everything the Mayor decides, I don't get a vote because although my company is in London, I live outside.

My market is large companies in the West End and City so I am hit by Congestion Charge and ULEZ every day - that's an extra £125 a week to find.

I have consoled myself by charging every customer, an extra £24 a day so it could be worse I guess.

Every Mayor of London has had two things in common, an eye on their personal promotion and that they are the very worst kind of cunts.

Sadiq has delayed implementation for residents within the zone until 2021 because he will no longer be Mayor then. His interests have always lain solely with advancement of his political career.

No delay in implementation nor discount exists for businesses within the ULEZ however, and despite being effected by everything the Mayor decides, I don't get a vote because although my company is in London, I live outside.

My market is large companies in the West End and City so I am hit by Congestion Charge and ULEZ every day - that's an extra £125 a week to find.

I have consoled myself by charging every customer, an extra £24 a day so it could be worse I guess.

Every Mayor of London has had two things in common, an eye on their personal promotion and that they are the very worst kind of cunts.

Whilst slowly killing the very people that you’re profiting from is clearly your preferred option, any other positive suggestions?

What do you expect him to do? If it’s costing him another £25 or whatever is he supposed to absorb that?

Easy now, I fully feel for the dude. Just like I fully feel for everyone in London who breathes the fumes.

I expect everyone’s alternative option is to keep polluting like fuck, which doesn’t seem very sustainable to me.

That’s why I wondered if any has any positive suggestions. Other than, you know, polluting like fuck.

Without wanting to get political, we obviously do have local elections beforehand and you could imagine this coming up - it is clearly an issue beyond these pages. So I guess it may change (either in terms of scope or how it gets implemented) - watch this space.

The thing is, this is genuinely one of the few things that has cross party support. Ninety percent of the ULEZ was drawn up under Johnson, Khan has just tinkered around the edges. And it's government policy to roll it out to other cities with poor air quality - just around me, Bath (Tory) are in the middle of a public consultation on whether they should adopt something which is more or less a photocopy of the London scheme and Bristol (Labour) have publicly said they're considering it.

Must admit I don't get this ULEZ thing. Just tried my cars (all petrol engined):

1966 Morris Minor

2002 Smart Fortwo

2003 Ford Focus

All of which can be used in the zone without paying a charge. I understand "classic" cars are exempt but surprised at the other two.

Are you using the LEZ checker or the ULEZ checker? TfL have done an abysmal job explaining the difference but as the LEZ only affects commercial vehicles it won't pick up the Smart or the Focus. Although one of the real criticisms of the ULEZ is that there's no actual number plate checker that exists for it, so there's loads of cars (mine included) that are exempt but you won't find out unless you pore over the V5 and then send a photocopy off to TfL to register it.

TFL gleefully sent me a letter a couple of weeks ago to tell me my 2012 2.0 Tdi Passat would cost me an extra £12.50 to suffer the potholes and fucked up traffic management whenever I have to go into London. So that's £24 if it's a weekday.

I stupidly thought because it's £30 a year to tax it'd be OK, that'll teach me not to look into things properly.

Seems like another tax on the poor, if you live in London and can afford to go out and buy a shiny new car- no problem, if you can't tough shit. But that'd be politics so I won't mention that.

Tax on the poor? My car is exempt, its 13 years old and I bought it off here for £600. Anything on an 06 plate or later is fine if it isn't diesel, and given the minimum requirement to live in the congestion charge zone is 'owns a significant stake in a Kazakh aluminium mine' it'll only really start impacting on normal people in 2021. How much is a 15 year old Mondeo?

Although from your private hire perspective, I'll come back and post a picture of my naked arse in this thread if they haven't brought in some sort of ULEZ at Heathrow in the next five years to get expansion through...

Easy now, I fully feel for the dude. Just like I fully feel for everyone in London who breathes the fumes.

I expect everyone’s alternative option is to keep polluting like fuck, which doesn’t seem very sustainable to me.

That’s why I wondered if any has any positive suggestions. Other than, you know, polluting like fuck.

I’d get on a bus that chucks out a load of dense black smoke in cyclists faces.

The policy's not unpopular with Londoners as far as I can tell. If you live here you kind of have to admit that something needs doing. The trouble from my point of view is that it won't come soon enough. I plan to move out soon and my childrens lungs are a motivating factor. It's never been as bad as it is now. The irony is that in 10 years or so the air is likely to be much better. But by then the kids would have developed asthma and be a pair of little lung cancer time bombs.

If there's an issue with the working man being cheated - which is legitimate in as much as van-driving trades and cabbies will be hit particularly hard - then from where I stand the issue is with the recent history of diesel vehicles being pushed (and kept cheap to run) as an environmentally sound option - and hence petrol being sidelined for commercial vehicles. This was stupid, and obviously so, diesel has never been a clean fuel. But things DO need to change.

If that means day rates go up then so be it, but better if they put that money into a cleaner vehicle than just pay the charge daily.

I’d get on a bus that chucks out a load of dense black smoke in cyclists faces.

Busses are pretty clean these days... it's mostly high mileage vans and taxis that are the problem. What's your problem with cyclists? Bikes are fucking brilliant.