ULEZ

purplebargeken

• 2 weeks later...

If they hadn't been scrapped, you could have bought one of Boris Johnson's unused water cannon trucks which were converted to the LEZ standard at great expense.

Incidentally specific details about them are fairly tricky to come by - even photos - but they look like a Merc to me?

313D148500000578-0-image-a-21_1455565190

Looks like an early Merc SK - 80s at tge latest going by the door handle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’ll put my neck out there but on the whole, and I’m sure there’s good ones, I don’t like cyclists these days. They wind about, uninsured, filming everything they do like some sort of bastion of all that’s righteous about being on the road. The greater part of them are absolute cretins, I’m not suggesting they all get squashed within the spats of the nearest bus but you’ve got to concede the Lycra clad fuckers filming everyone are absolute tyrants. I’m fully expecting to get flamed for this.

You're sure there's good ones.

I'm a London cyclist. Mostly out in the burbs now, because I've moved further out. I do it mostly so I don't have to put up with the shit that drivers constantly feel like they have to do. The shitty games, the push push push, the intimidation, the hierarchy - I don't have to put up with any of that when I'm on my bike, yet it's in my face constantly when I'm in my car. Additional benefits are: it's faster, I can park anywhere, I'm fit and strong and I'm faster than you in a race. 

Cyclists feel they have to wear cameras because some drivers don't know when to tow the line. You have a problem with me because I'm in lycra and I'm on a bike - you probably feel like you've got to do something, teach me a lesson; whereas I'm just minding my own business riding to work. If you're in regular altercations with cyclists, which from the tone of your post it sounds like you probably are, I think I'd suggest taking a step back and looking at your own driving and maybe ask yourself why it's happening.

Dundee is following suit in 2020 although the council is yet to make even a provisional map available of affected areas. It seems hard to believe my area won't be affected. 5 minutes walk if that from the city centre and right next to a big shopping centre and central library.

According to their V5s both the 2002 Alto & the 2005 ZR have NOX levels far below the Euro 4 standard of 0.08. The ZR 1.4 comfortably passes at 0.036, and the older Alto even lower at 0.014 (smol engine I guess) . In fact those figures pass the current NOX pass mark which has apparently not changed since Euro 4.

If Iv'e understood it correctly 80s & 90s petrols will be affected badly but it seems more aimed at Diesels.

• 1 month later...

Well that’s the ULEZ kicked in today and obviously the country has fallen to its knees.

The roads did seem quieter but that could be pure coincidence.

I noticed loads of Vespa PX’s that didn’t conform to the online check being sold from central London in the last couple of months, they’re going to be a bit cross when they read this: https://scooterlab.uk/ulez-good-news-for-london-2-strokes-news/

The roads did seem quieter but that could be pure coincidence.

Kids off for Easter Holidays....

Signed up for Autopay on Saturday for Congestion Charge.....£10.50 per day  - Prius ULEZ compliant otherwise would be another £12.50 on top.

I'm a London cyclist. Mostly out in the burbs now, because I've moved further out. I do it mostly so I don't have to put up with the shit that drivers constantly feel like they have to do. The shitty games, the push push push, the intimidation, the hierarchy - I don't have to put up with any of that when I'm on my bike, yet it's in my face constantly when I'm in my car. Additional benefits are: it's faster, I can park anywhere, I'm fit and strong and I'm faster than you in a race.

Cyclists feel they have to wear cameras because some drivers don't know when to tow the line. You have a problem with me because I'm in lycra and I'm on a bike - you probably feel like you've got to do something, teach me a lesson; whereas I'm just minding my own business riding to work. If you're in regular altercations with cyclists, which from the tone of your post it sounds like you probably are, I think I'd suggest taking a step back and looking at your own driving and maybe ask yourself why it's happening.

Just seen a cyclist in Stoke on Trent deliberately put himself in danger, although technically he was in the right.

So heading towards traffic lights.

The single lane becomes 2 lanes. And the left of these goes left and the right goes straight on. If the cyclist just stayed in the middle of the left lane he'd be safe. Not one car was turning left. No at the start of the 2 lanes he steers towards the right lane, which is barely wide enough for a car, but the car in front of me either does not realise, doesn't care or can't react fast enough, so the distance between car and cyclist is 15 cms

Cyclist is screaming and gesticulating at the car.

Yes, you are in the right, but you were close to death. Why not just move over to the right hand side of the left lane and go straight on, because after the lights the lane is actually a lot wider.

I cycle a little and I'd rather be alive than posthumously vindicated.

Nothing to do with Ulez or emmisions but just an observation about stupidity.

I've just checked my DS (because it is the only one where I can remember the reg no.) and it is LEZ compliant but not ULEZ which is really confusing and not at all helpful. It seems they are making the system as impossible to understand as possible so that they can zap everyone with fines. I can quite easily stay out of central London but it seems I am not even allowed inside the M25 area?

If anyone asks me to pick them up from Heathrow it looks like they are going to be disappointed.

LEZ starts just before the M25 (Well it does on the M4) so you are fine for driving in this area DSDriver but the ULEZ is same area as the Congestion Charging zone which is central central London - Park Lane and right in - a small area really. 

Most things still on the road are LEZ compliant but not necessarily ULEZ compliant

See picture - LEZ is in Green and ULEZ and Congestion Charging zone (they are the same area) is in Red

Then if you want an enlarged map of the Congestion Charging/ULEZ Zone then there you go as well....

Oh and lastly if you see 'T-Charge' referred to....just forget it....that is obsolete now and was replaced by the ULEZ

This has also just got the go ahead I believe too in Birmingham - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-44551122 which too knackers me as I regularly take the Sprinter right into central Brum!

James

post-24460-0-89088600-1554751101_thumb.jpg

post-24460-0-78740100-1554751161_thumb.png

I shoved TWC and TPA in there for the LOLZ

they fail ULEZ, but reading things it only checks for emission data, of which there obviously aint any for a 45 year old Invacar

so I wonder if the online checker automatically defaults to "nope not compliant"

but AFAIK as well, historic vehicles are exempt

I've just checked my DS (because it is the only one where I can remember the reg no.) and it is LEZ compliant but not ULEZ ....

It will never be ULEZ-compliant, but it qualifies as "historic" and should therefore be exempt.

Then there are the foreign-registered vehicles which will probably escape enforcement as they usually do.

LEZ starts just before the M25 (Well it does on the M4) so you are fine for driving in this area DSDriver but the ULEZ is same area as the Congestion Charging zone which is central central London - Park Lane and right in - a small area really.

Most things still on the road are LEZ compliant but not necessarily ULEZ compliant

See picture - LEZ is in Green and ULEZ and Congestion Charging zone (they are the same area) is in Red

Then if you want an enlarged map of the Congestion Charging/ULEZ Zone then there you go as well....

Oh and lastly if you see 'T-Charge' referred to....just forget it....that is obsolete now and was replaced by the ULEZ

This has also just got the go ahead I believe too in Birmingham - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-44551122 which too knackers me as I regularly take the Sprinter right into central Brum!

James

Much smaller than I thought TBH. I work just opposite London bridge at the moment. Be interesting to see how the traffic is. I wonder if all those empty, open top tour buses are still going?

My kids are on Easter hols.  I think that the whole of London is.

Last night I parked in Regents Park and walked the last ten minutes.  It actually only cost me five minutes because it would have taken five to drive.

I think that I will just pay the ULEZ if it's raining.

surprisingly both the Saab and Daewoo are ULEZ compliant, Daewoo probably the more surprising of the two as its assembled from leftovers from GM products as far as i can see.

I agree though that its mostly aimed at Diesels which will suffer considerably, albeit in a tiny area that no-one sane would go to by car unless they absolutely had to.

Exactly this - I don't get out on the bike so often now the knee is screwed - but need to build up the strength again. So I'll cycle to the office, I'm not doing that in office gear so lycra it shall be, shower and change..... doesn't make me a twat (may look daft to some - but I'm not a fat cunt so I'm OK and apparently in good shape - so fuck you) in any way at all. The twat/cunt/knob is the wanker in the 1tonne+ vehicle that thinks he can barge his way in and ignore the rules of het road - part of the licence they/we all took.  

ANY car driver who regularly gets into arguments or has issues with anyone on a bike - get back in the fucking classroom...…… you're the problem.

Thanks you’ve illustrated my point perfectly.

Yeah right...….

Just seen a cyclist in Stoke on Trent deliberately put himself in danger, although technically he was in the right.

So heading towards traffic lights.

The single lane becomes 2 lanes. And the left of these goes left and the right goes straight on. If the cyclist just stayed in the middle of the left lane he'd be safe. Not one car was turning left. No at the start of the 2 lanes he steers towards the right lane, which is barely wide enough for a car, but the car in front of me either does not realise, doesn't care or can't react fast enough, so the distance between car and cyclist is 15 cms

Cyclist is screaming and gesticulating at the car.

Yes, you are in the right, but you were close to death. Why not just move over to the right hand side of the left lane and go straight on, because after the lights the lane is actually a lot wider.

I cycle a little and I'd rather be alive than posthumously vindicated.

Nothing to do with Ulez or emmisions but just an observation about stupidity.

and then there are the singular cunts on 2 wheels too……. You're quite right - there are some absolute arseholes in and on ALL forms of transport. Sadly - this guy will probably end up as a statistic then martyrd in the name of cycling reform. His stupidity can't be highlighted in hindsight.

Whatever the mode of wheeldom you are in/on - just use your fucking melon! It really isn't hard.

As above - if you're constantly arguing with other road users - whatever the transport - you need to take a long hard lookin the fucking mirror and a lot of deep breaths (but not in central London - that shit is bad for you!) :-D

My grandad owns a 2014 Citroen C4 Picasso diesel but because it's a pre 65 plate diesel it's automatically banned. It emits a lower level than the limit but just because it's a 14 plate it can't go into London.

Bloody ridiculous

I thought that there is a process whereby you can submit the V5 to TFL and if the vehicle is below the limits that they add an exemption.

For example my mates 2002 Freelander 1.8 is exempt because someone in TFL looked at the actual numbers.  Loads of K series shite is exempt (but not 1.8 turbo 75s, only non turbo)

the limits for diesel are the Euro 6 ones so 0.080 for NOx and 0.005 for PM.

The Euro 5 levels were 0.180 for NOx and 0.005 for PM so the Picasso would be compliant on PM already.  You have to look at what the V5 says for NOx and if it is below 0.080 then you request an exemption with TFL.

My grandad owns a 2014 Citroen C4 Picasso diesel but because it's a pre 65 plate diesel it's automatically banned. It emits a lower level than the limit but just because it's a 14 plate it can't go into London.

Bloody ridiculous

Sorry, but that's not right. If it emits below the limit its allowed, regardless of when it was registered. See above for someone being allowed in with a Daewoo...