ULEZ

purplebargeken

Just checked the ULEZ map, Edmonton is right there in the proposed zone. Fucking joyous.

So, that's the BMW fucked, the Galaxy fucked, Mrs PBK's Micra fucked.

I do believe my Triumph Toledo will be exempt.

Hope to fuck we move before it comes in. A great excuse to avoid London for ever after 2021.

The zone will be inside the ring road - ie the North and South Circulars. Ways round it are if you live outside it life goes on as normal on the ring road but you can't come into the zone without a hefty payment - so going out of London or running around outside the zone you are fine.

Its not a done deal and is likely to become a big election issue in the May Mayors election in 2020 so you may want to get invovled with a candidate or lobby - the suburbs generally swing the Mayorial vote.

If all goes to their plan you will have to adjust your fleet. Historic Vehicles i.e. the Tax Free one will be exempt - so have a look about for something exempt for running about in London and keeping the other car for outside the zone...if you live just outside.

I'm not sure of the lpg position - that may be worth checking.

I have a 98 van on lpg so if I still have it I'm hoping. I'm going to get an historic exempt vehicle in any event because I live deep inside the zone. Something diesel and antisocial but tax exempt. A Landrover maybe but that would be too easy - maybe a Saviem or a Unismog to annoy be bureaucrats.

I avoid driving into the main bit of London anyway, I live 10 mins from a station so that is no big deal, the Toledo is a historic car so no issues there, the main concern is if where I am actually becomes part of the ULEZ zone coverage itself. That'll be the killer. I use the A10 most days and have to cross the bloody thing if I want to go anywhere local and from the current map, the A10 is going to be an issue. A406 is just a few minutes away but am on the outside bit of it. 

My 2009 Avensis is not ULEZ compliant and to go into central London would cost £12.50 per day. Other councils would run this shape of cab for the next 10-15 years!!. Being that it is a taxi it is not subject to the daily congestion charge... however if you were Joe Bloggs you’d have to pay this aswell so would be circa £38/40 per day. More for HGV’s etc etc

Diesel has to be euro 6 and above (E class blue-efficiency is fine) petrol euro 4 and above I think. The Prius is fine being that it only gives out 79 whatevers whatever per year.

But I warn all who read this....London will just be the beginning. Give it 10/20 years and you’ll see this popping up more and more city to city

Join the club, all 11 of mine will be useless, I have no modern & my parents (where I do a lot of my work), & many friends, are inside the A406. I`m propa fukt..

I take roughly 7000 pictures a year of cars inside the A406, that will be banned from within it over the next 2 years (& the extended M25 border a couple of years after). London scrappies will be laughing... Retro car lovers wont be..

The zone will be inside the ring road - ie the North and South Circulars. Ways round it are if you live outside it life goes on as normal on the ring road but you can't come into the zone without a hefty payment - so going out of London or running around outside the zone you are fine.

You`ll be fine for 2 years more, but then its being extended to the M25...

Join the club, all 11 of mine will be useless, I have no modern & my parents (where I do a lot of my work), & many friends, are inside the A406. I`m propa fukt..

I take roughly 7000 pictures a year of cars inside the A406, that will be banned from within it over the next 2 years (& the extended M25 boarder a couple of years after). London scrappies will be laughing... Retro car lovers wont be..

I was curious are all 11 on the road? For those non-Londoners here I can assure you it is cheaper to tax a car and keep it on the road than try to rent a parking space or garage by a factor of about x10

I was curious are all 11 on the road? For those non-Londoners here I can assure you it is cheaper to tax a car and keep it on the road than try to rent a parking space or garage by a factor of about x10

I`m currently taxing 6 of them, so I`m paying quite a lot towards the bleedin cycle lanes.., the rest are off road.

I would have thought that most commercial operators generally have a quick enough turnaround of vehicles that they can hopefully stomach the change.

Private car users? Well I do enough cycling in London - mainly the suburbs - to realise that you'd be a numpty to drive anywhere inside the outer circle. Have been forced to on a couple of instances and it's just hours of congestion, even at the weekend or at night.

Sucks for the motorcycle users though. My Kawasaki ER5 would need to pay the charge - I imagine that's the case for most/all non-injection bikes.

However an argument that most of the eco-car fanatics always forget is that great, you can replace all these old 'bangers' with electric cars and hybrids but you've still got the same amount of single occupancy vehicles clogging up infrastructure that will never be upgraded. The emphasis should be getting people walking, cycling and using the bus instead of driving, where practicable. Congestion is an utterly stupid inefficiency and no new roads are going to be made - so the fewer people using them the better.

I take roughly 7000 pictures a year of cars inside the A406, that will be banned from within it over the next 2 years (& the extended M25 border a couple of years after). London scrappies will be laughing... Retro car lovers wont be..

Not many scrappies left in SE London - most of the the sites have gone for flats and the rest are going fast...

Private car users? Well I do enough cycling in London - mainly the suburbs - to realise that you'd be a numpty to drive anywhere inside the outer circle. Have been forced to on a couple of instances and it's just hours of congestion, even at the weekend or at night.

What about those of us who routinely carry bootfulls of tools & car parts? What about those of us with 2 kids? What about those of us who cant ride a bike? What about when you have to take your 2 kids & parents across London twice a year to 10 relatives with presents & food? How practical is cycling then?

See, this "well, you have to be a numpty to drive in London" stuff basically stinks of "I`m alright Jack, sod everyone else".

Not many scrappies left in SE London - most of the the sites have gone for flats and the rest are going fast...

20 years ago, there were 100`s of scrappies In London, it was so easy to keep old cars going, It was glorious. Now, most of the scrap yards have become flats & theres 3 or 4 scrappies who have completely monopolised the market. Redcorn has completely taken over London north of the river, & the home counties.

What about those of us who routinely carry bootfulls of tools & car parts? What about those of us with 2 kids? What about those of us who cant ride a bike? What about when you have to take your 2 kids & parents across London twice a year to 10 relatives with presents & food? How practical is cycling then?

See, this "well, you have to be a numpty to drive in London" stuff basically stinks of "I`m alright Jack, sod everyone else".

It's not a done deal - see what happens in the run up to the 2020 elections. An opponent of the existing Mayor may seek to water down the proposal. We will see

It's not a done deal - see what happens in the run up to the 2020 elections. An opponent of the existing Mayor may seek to water down the proposal. We will see

As far as I know, its all very much a done deal, including the M25 extension, its now out of the mayor & TFL`s hands.

And as has been said, its also going to places like Brum, Cov, Liverpool, Manchester & Leeds, among other places.

You had me panicking there - greater London, not blanket within m25.

You’ll be ok - 2021 is out to North and South Circular. Not heard about bringing right out to the M25 yet. There is a rule I believe for commercials going inside the M25 to be LEZ compliant (Not ULEZ (for those unaware the U stands for Ultra). My Sprinter is currently LEZ compliant but as we all know, the goal posts will be moved again I’m sure...

You’ll be ok - 2021 is out to North and South Circular. Not heard about bringing right out to the M25 yet. There is a rule I believe for commercials going inside the M25 to be LEZ compliant (Not ULEZ (for those unaware the U stands for Ultra). My Sprinter is currently LEZ compliant but as we all know, the goal posts will be moved again I’m sure...

Yep, the lez zone starts some way towards London from my place, but all within m25

They do keep moving the goalposts, initially it was supposed to only apply to diesels, which I was behind, as they are largely responsible for the increase in cancer over the last 1-2 decades because of the carcinogenic particles they put out (petrols don't), then they decided to throw petrols under the bus too.

I should point out, the 1.6 million cars they're saying are affected, are affected by the 2021 N/S Circ ban, not the proposed M25 one, & that figure is only roadworthy cars, not the tens or hundreds of thousands of cars sat unused for years on drives & in garages..

Its a total attack on Autoshite..