1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Great stuff Phil, look forward to seeing how it progresses. 

What is the support and parts availability like for these?  I see Ames performance only does 1955 onwards but Rockauto have some service bits and pieces.

Straight eight eh? Whats not lo like? I love them. I remember riding in a Packard Straight Eight Limousine way back in 1953. It was a revelation to me that any car could run so smoothly and in almost total silence. Never forgot that day. A great purchase. Congratulations.

Great stuff Phil, look forward to seeing how it progresses. 

What is the support and parts availability like for these?  I see Ames performance only does 1955 onwards but Rockauto have some service bits and pieces.

Not bad because the oily bits are common across about 5 years of build, some trim bits are 1951 only so are eBay and scrapyard/breakers but they have a fairly good following and parts aren't that scarce. Engine bits are awkward, from what I tell but so far this one seems good, even the oil pressure is within factory specs.

Phil

As long as the Chief lights up, it doesn't need any interference with the wiring.

It's on the list of First Things To Fix.

Unfortunately the state requires it to have wipers and indicators and brake lights. So those are on the list also.

Phil

• Like 4

It looks utterly glorious - but are you anywhere near one-tenth as ohmygodwhathaveijustdone terrified as I would be?

Surprisingly no. I'm excited!

• Like 3

That is spectacular! Lovely looking car and built like a tank.

What’s your plan for the bits of bodywork? Leave alone and run as is or you going get it fully sorted?

Either way, brilliant purchase!

Right now it's a ten-footer! The eventual plan is to cut out and replace the rot. Thankfully the metal is thick and there aren't too many compound curves in the structure.

The Renault is officially for sale, though.

Phil

• Like 1

Oh my. What a lovely old job.

Obviously videos of engine running are required. Plus we will crowdfunding dollywobbler to go and do a video*

*May not be true

• Like 2

Put 50p* on the timing cover, stand next to it on tickover and lie to people "its a BMW"...

*other territories may have coins easier/harder to demonstrate with ;)

• Like 1

It's on the list of First Things To Fix.

Right underneath  "Feed The Headlamp Masks to a Crocodile" hopefully.... 

Seriously, what a lovely car and safe in its native land away from hotrod patinaters.   Very much likee.

Yes, those covers are either going in the bin or I might put them on top of flower pots and use that combination to hold paintbrushes.

I figured that a better use for them.

Timing covers are on the side of the engine in SquireDawson approved fashion. Top of the engine is all spark plugs.

Phil

• Like 4

The way the rear doors cut through the fenders is a sight to behold. Looks a very solid car. How does Pontiac's straight 8 compare to the Packard example?

It looks utterly glorious - but are you anywhere near one-tenth as ohmygodwhathaveijustdone terrified as I would be?

if he was panhard maybe but as hes resident....... :D

you and martin have won this place

when you paint it is it staying the same y'all?