Announcement - Dave21478

Tayne

Rest in peace Dave.

Even when describing something awful that had happened, I don't think you ever wrote a post that didn't make me smile. Your writing style was just hilarious. I said as much recently and I really hope you saw my post before going to hospital.

I've been thinking of the blood clot and hoping it was nothing serious, I didn't expect this.

In lots of ways he was Autoshite.

A grumpy old bugger who was born into the wrong era, but frankly any era would have been wrong.  Turning his hand to all the jobs around him, he certainly had enough stories for more than one lifetime. Forthright and opinionated, yet at the same time bringing humour that brightened my day.

The MGF conversion in pretty much a lunchtime, the on going saga of living in rural France coupled with the honesty of sharing it with us all. I was secretly hoping he would commit all his stories to a book, a year in Provence for the AS folk. That would definitely be a best seller.  A real part of the tapestry of the world has been lost.

This is how I think of him, things like the French rural life and no broadband until a week next Thursday because France. Balanced with an ability to get stuck in and fix things, and being able to describe it well.

Where were his UK connections? I am unsure but I think there may need to be an inquest.

Translated:

In the night from Saturday to Sunday, around 1 am, a man of British origin, of French nationality, and living in Arifat (in the Tarn), died in a car accident.

The collision occurred on the D89 in the town of Montredon-Labessonnié. The man, who was traveling alone, is for some unknown reason off the road and hit a plane tree. No other vehicle would be involved in the accident. The forty-year-old did not survive his injuries.

An investigation is underway to determine the causes of the accident.

I read the first post and couldn't quite believe it. I am surprised to be genuinely shocked and grieving for a man that I never met, but only read of his adventures on this forum. He had a practical problem solver's attitude to life with a great written wit.

RIP Dave Numbers, you will be missed and there is a new hole in the rusty shell of Autoshite that will forever remain unpatched.

So tragic, I am genuinely upset, his posts were brilliant, his MGF conversion was genius, decoding his name, I'd say his birthday was the 21st April, the same day as my brother, and also Lizzie the Queen. Perhaps we could make 21st April of each year Dave Numbers Day to remember him by? He may be gone, but he will never, ever be forgotten

So tragic, I am genuinely upset, his posts were brilliant, his MGF conversion was genius, decoding his name, I'd say his birthday was the 21st April, the same day as my brother, and also Lizzie the Queen. Perhaps we could make 21st April of each year Dave Numbers Day to remember him by? He may be gone, but he will never, ever be forgotten

If you look at the first post in this thread, his birthday was 14th Feb, so presumably the numbers in his name were his DoB in 'Murican format.

There is little I can add to the truly heart touching tributes left so far but I would like to wholeheartedly echo them.

Obviously I never met the chap but, like others, felt I knew him through his insightful and humorous posts.

This forum and indeed the world is a poorer place without him.  

RIP Dave, I'm sure you are up there now measuring up ready to make a new set of Pearly Gates.

I've been asked to post big thank you to you all, Dave's family have been reading this and found your words very comforting.

Regarding what happened, there''s not much more info than is publicly available.

This is made a little worse by the fact that most of Dave's french-resident family were back over here in Scotland at the time (they're traveling south today).

It was a single vehicle accident, off the road and into a tree, Dave was found quite quickly as there was other traffic about and was conscious enough to talk to police and ambulance crew.

He was taken to the big hospital in Toulouse (further away but better trauma care) but died of his injuries.

Our thoughts are with his family, they must be utterly devastated, I know the emergency services will have done their best, and fought hard for him. Thank you Tayne for keeping us in the loop. Dave was a legend, and wen we lose someone, it brings home our own mortality. 

Thanks Tayne.

I'm sure you will let us know if there's anything the forum can do to help the family.

In the meantime, I will just remind everyone of this, in the hope that it brings a smile to their faces as it did to mine.

post-17837-0-50205800-1523011059.jpg

Thanks Tayne.

I'm sure you will let us know if there's anything the forum can do to help the family.

In the meantime, I will just remind everyone of this, in the hope that it brings a smile to their faces as it did to mine.

If the book idea does ever come to fruition, that should be the cover.

Thanks Tayne.

Bought a tear to my eye that has, then I laughed! Wasn't that then he collected the OMGHGF truck?