Dingolfing E28 520i - Drop the hammer and step back!

Steve79

Autodoc quickly seems to become the Rockauto of Yurop. Seems like you can get some excellent deals on there if you are patient, and they definitely have more obscure parts in stock than any other parts side (short of Rockauto) that I know of. Nice to see some progress on the 5 btw!

Order placed with Autodoc on the 2nd but hadn't heard anything from them so requested an update from them via the chat section on their app. Fair play to them, I had an immediate response saying they'd chase it and I had a phone call from them 15mins later to say it'll be 4-5 working days and apologised for the delay.

I don't mind as they're a lot cheaper on most of the stuff I've ordered than buying in the UK.

Meanwhile these arrived today curtosey of messeurs Amazon and Royal Mail

SMjg7bV.jpg

Bilstein on the left, KYB premium on the right.

Also got these

myeNcth.jpg

Replacement bonnet struts so I no longer almost get knocked out when the bonnet suddenly drops on my head!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update. I'd been waiting for over a week for Autodoc to send the parts out but they still hadn't shown up. Gave them a call and was informed that they were waiting for one brake dics to turn up, FFS!

I told them to cancel the discs and just to send out what they had! Meanwhile the strut inserts arrived from amazon and surprise surprise one was wrong so had to be sent back. Replacement boge sourced.

Also we discovered the strut top bearings were fooked so off i trot to GSF to get a pair. Two left in stock, both branded vetech, one in a clean bag dated 2015 the other in a filthy yellowed bag dated 2006. You can see where this is going, the 2006 one was different!

Car had to be out of mates garage asap so ordered another from SES which arrived today. So bits dropped of to mate to finish off and get the car out tonight - RIGHT?

WRONG!

Get a phonecall from him saying the calipers are different to what i've got fitted. I've only gone and bought calipers for solid discs and not vented, FFS!

To Autodocs credit, i called them to ask about returning the wrong ones and they emailed a courier label straight away for free carriage back to Berlin.

A quick phonecall to brakepartsuk yielded the correct calipers which will be here by tuesday.

Bit annoyed with myself for not checking Autodocs site more carefully but as the 2-litres were never fitted with solid discs AFAIK, then this part shouldn't be shown as compatible.

I'm hoping to post a more positive update on tuesday when the new calipers arrive.

Wish me luck :)

• 2 months later...

Long overdue update (must try harder)!!!!

The correct calipers are now fitted and i can actually drive the car without setting the pads on fire!  There is a slight niggling issue whereby the brakes still slightly bind after pressing the pedal unless you pull it up the last half centimetre. I'm pretty sure that this is due to one of the vacuum lines being perished which i'm planning on sorting next week.

The immediacy of problem sorting is that i'm being made redundant at the end of October and the company car has to be returned. So with this in mind, i'm reluctant to go out and buy another car when i've got this sitting on the drive barely being used. There are other niggling issues however.

The most pressing issue is that for the last few weeks the heater has been extremely reluctant to pump out any heat other than a waft of tepid air at idle, not ideal at this time of year. I ruled out the coolant stat as both hoses going to the bulkhead were red hot, so onto the heater control valve.

I really hoped this wasn't at fault as they're no longer available from BMW (although a rebuild kit is available). There are 4x screws to undo to get the guts out of the valve but you need to unbolt the unit from the bulkhead as its tight up against it. So 2x 7mm bolts later its free 

ctjPsqe.jpg

The screws were a bastard to remove and it was clear the unit had never been apart before. Managed in the end though

Hmmm, crusty!

kMXs9cU.jpg

Just beneath the valve end cap there is a fine mesh gauze which was completely clogged with rust and crap

Uu6mtSW.jpg

The valve pulls apart easily leaving just this. The plus point was all of the rubber was free from rips and degradation.

3zD1Hr9.jpg

Didn't get a photo, but once the metal case is removed you are left with a copper winding encased in plastic shrink wrapped shroud.

3JcPcfZ.jpg

Got the dremmel out and sanded off the rust on the washers but the casing had some pretty nasty limescale buildup going on so it got dunked!

GXDV0ze.jpg

Came out pretty good

7EdGD6u.jpg

So after all that, it all got reassembled and i went for a drive having assured myself victory in that i would be rewarded with toasty toes and a clear windscreen.

Nope, nadda, none of it! 

So bonnet back up and a moments pondering. The connector plug on the valve was ok and free from corrosion so just couldn't understand why it wasn't working. Hang on, this plug fits the other way round as well!

The realisation then hit, i'd been working on that side of the car tidying hoses and electrical clips weeks ago and i'd put the plug back on the wrong way round! GRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Reward though is i now have a lovely warm car. 

I AM AN IDIOT! 

I really love this car. How BMWs should look. Certainly a car I could smoke around in as a daily easily enough.

Its actually pretty good on fuel considering its an old skool 6cyl. I've always like the shark nose design of the e24 and e28. Its an honest, clean no nonsense design. The interior design is very much "a place for everything and everything in its place).

Si, you are more than welcome to have a blast round in it if you want to try it on for size as i'm in bristol :) Any chance you might be able to cast an appraising eye over the circuit board for the service indicator as its got corrosion damage and would really like to know if it can be saved.

Its actually pretty good on fuel considering its an old skool 6cyl. I've always like the shark nose design of the e24 and e28. Its an honest, clean no nonsense design. The interior design is very much "a place for everything and everything in its place).

Si, you are more than welcome to have a blast round in it if you want to try it on for size as i'm in bristol :) Any chance you might be able to cast an appraising eye over the circuit board for the service indicator as its got corrosion damage and would really like to know if it can be saved.

That would be ace. No problem for me to have a look at those boards and resolder any joints if needed. I'm free quite a few weekends this and next month. Well free, apart from welding the 1100!

Certainly a car I could smoke around in as a daily easily enough.

That's what I was doing 20 years ago. They were at that stage of being just an old BMW, cheap to buy but plenty of unfucked ones about for £600, sweet to drive and easy to fix. 

The cheapest one was £20.  :-D

Autodoc are shit, Mister Auto and Rock are way better.

The only bugbear i have with Autodoc is that when you've returned an item to them, they don't refund you automatically. You have to ring them and ask otherwise they hold it as a credit until you irder something else!

I'm not a fan of the wheeltrims that were fitted to it as the e28's always look better shod with alloys. So in an ongoing bid to improve the appearance of the car, these were duly snapped up on the bay of e yesterday evening.

Apparently the treads are good and he's chucking in a spare steering wheel and full set of used but good springs.

They're coming from the poor guy who had his pinched back in september. Details on the blue forum stolen section :(

post-5607-0-59122600-1540637196_thumb.png

It appears that i spoke too soon. Went out for a drive today and heater has gone back to pumping out tepid heat again.

Bottom hose on the heater valve is stone cold so i'm guessing either the coil isn't being energised or its stuck. Bloody annoying since it was working fine yesterday.

Also noticed the alternator belt is missing about 80% of its ribs and the water pump belt is looking a tad iffy!

Jobs for tomorrow!