What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Living next to a bypassy thing that's quiet and dead straight for a mile or two. Every Friday/Saturday night I get the enjoyment of watching from my window small children in Citroen Saxos with tinted windows attempt "quarter miles". Occasionally they'll bring a friend on one of those Aprilia 50cc OMG SUPERBIKE things.

And yes I do realise the following quote can be extracted from the above

I get the enjoyment of watching from my window small children

Driving a 1 litre Metro Mayfair though Birmingham five-up the way God intended.

When was this? If your passing through Brum again, give us a shout! :D

Someone at work was trying to remember what "Z" stood for in the phonetic alphabet, to which one of the girls confidently replies

"xylophone"

:lol:

When I worked at the garage I learnt the phonetic alphabet quite quickly as I got fed up of trying to spell out registrations or using spontanious things like 'M' for mother :|

Well, I've got sounds in my car so thats making me grin ear to ear, I can now select Classic FM for relaxing journeys. Its also one more thing making my car more complete.

This afternoon, we were moving a friend from Leicester to Birming with the van, but needed the Metro as people transport. I'll let you kow next time we are that way, would be great to see the fleet.

Oh, another grin. A taxi trying to go up the inside of the van coming off the roundabout at New Street then realising it wasn't a good idea as the lanes merged :!: . LDV 1 - LTI 0 :lol:

i steal a bit of inside space in scary's garage, and as my shitpile expands, i find i'm running out of room;

DSCF3505.jpg

(scarys guitar, not mine)

so while he's off picking his welder and making/playing with a BBQ, I decided to make some heavy duty shelves :shock:

DSCF3508.jpg

BING, shitspares successfully accomodated :D:D:D:D:D:D

DSCF3510.jpg

the top is not quite finished, as i ran out of joists. I will finish off sunday

Helped my friend fit new wheel cylinders and brake shoes to his 1969 MGB Roadster today, he let me drive it for a while, its amazing that a 41 year old car can be so much fun. And was surprised that cars here in the South dont seem to rust like they do in the UK.

Went to a friends dad's 80th birthday party last night. The giffer in question is a proper legend, and within minutes of being there he's chatting to me about the Dutton Phaeton he's had in the shed for 20 years, and asking if I want to buy it.

Jokingly I suggest that we should fix it up and send him on a track day in it. He likes the idea as it's safer than paragliding, which his family have told him they don't want him to do.

So, looks like this is actually gonna happen. Should be fun. Thing has a pretty sorted 1760 x/flow and a short axle ratio. It went like stink before it was parked up.

Someone at work was trying to remember what "Z" stood for in the phonetic alphabet, to which one of the girls confidently replies

"xylophone"

O/H tends to drop her 'H's, she was spelling something out on the phone and said "H for 'otel" :roll:

Got back at midnight last night after an enjoyable car-collecting day featuring Barrett and The Organist.

I'll be really tired today, but it was worth it!

Massive thanks again to The Organist for all his help (and Barrett for keeping me sane and taking pictures - hopefully a thread will follow)

Four hours in a derelict shopping centre shooting zombies. Win.

I read about that, it sounds ace. When I read about it a couple of months ago they didnt know how long it was going to run for as the shopping centre was going to br knocked down. Is that still the case?

They're taking bookings through December now, I think they just get a few months of use at a time but talking to a local today the centre has been closed for 14 years and marked for demolition for 8 so in no hurry! And by my calculation they make about £6k a day if fully booked so probably be open a while.

Very very very good fun though and the kind of thing you don't get many chances to do.

Didn't that KeithRG fella used to keep trying to sell an Alfa that had different problems according to who asked him and the price changed almost daily?

Anyhow making me grin today was(is) the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on BBC1. I reckon we're the best in the world when it comes to ceremonies/shows of pride like this and the RPO performing (albeit briefly) on a boat was top draw stuff.

Didn't that KeithRG fella used to keep trying to sell an Alfa that had different problems according to who asked him and the price changed almost daily?

just had a look through his previous posts on RR. he has attempted to sell about a dozen cars in the last 12 months, but no alfa

from his posts he comes across as a first class prick.

"xylophone"

:lol:

When I worked at the garage I learnt the phonetic alphabet quite quickly as I got fed up of trying to spell out registrations or using spontanious things like 'M' for mother :|

Well, I've got sounds in my car so thats making me grin ear to ear, I can now select Classic FM for relaxing journeys. Its also one more thing making my car more complete.

Spent yesterday and today diving through Birmingham and Wolverhampton. My current choice of vehicle is an open top and it's been raining all day. Central locks have failed and they seem to have Been spread out all the way through Wolverhampton. Am now parked next to a sewage works and the m54 motorway. Tomorrow is a 20 mile trip to just past Stafford in the rain, outside.

Am now parked next to a sewage works and the m54 motorway.

Ah yes, how is Telford these days?

I can tell you, I was there today :roll::|

Had a nice-ish roll up there and back down, with my new/old radio playing Ma's Tears for Fears cassette, as it was a relatives birthday I donned on my 'Arthur Daley' camel-overcoat, that and driving my comfortable British cruiser brought a smile to my face.

Only problem is, my trousers were loose due to me seemingly dropping in weight and therefore size.