What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Mr B's and HairyMel's tat-tickling blogs on RR. :shock: I can't tell you how much housework I didn't do while Megan was asleep, because I had to catch up with these.

Both are amazing. 8)

The Sunbeam looks so much more like a car now. I really thought it was beyond saving to start with.

I made OH look at the Maser pics, and even though he knows nothing about cars and has little interest in them, he's amazed by the metalwork going on.

Mega.

I just enjoyed a great thing that happened.

I was sitting at a set of traffic lights when I noticed in my rear view mirror a hideous barried-up Celica with big spoilers and a shockingly poor orange and blue felt tip pen paint job caning up the road behind me at a fearsome rate (for a 30 zone). Had two lads in, the driver in the classic 'cripple hook' one-handed laid back driving position. Obv i would never make any conscious effort to get out of the way of such a comical shit box so as the lights went to green I edged away ROVERSTYLE at about 4 mph, causing him to have to hotch the brakes on a bit sharp. Imagine my TOTAL JOY when as his speed descended to the 5mph threshold, a massive eruption of steam started gushing out from the entire gap round his bonnet and headlights, fuggin beautiful. I LOL'd my bo11ox off as he leaped out and popped the bonnet about 10 yards after the junction to investigate his hopefully completely bo11oxed VVT-i 'K-series wannabe' Toyotamota. I shall go to sleep with a smile on my face tonight.

Mrs R and I have been out for dinner tonight. We were guests of a couple from the Classic Vehicle Club, who are part of a rival team at our Thursday night pub-quiz. Mrs Couple's sister and her husband are members of our team, and he happens to be chairman of the Writers' Group; they were there too. Very jolly night ensued! :D Mrs R is most pleased with herself for being able to "do" the evening at all without the input of alcohol, as previously she would have required large doses to boost her confidence. I, therefore, am extremely proud of her for the same reason.

'Two puffs in the rectum', I think I've seen that one. A little bit too 'special interest' for my tastes but worth a watch!*

*Other unfunny, very slightly homophobic "jokes" are available. That was the best I could do right now, sorry.

quick get Mr Heinz, Hugh Hefner or all page 3 girls on the phone right now.

By making my reg completely illegal I too am going to become an ebay cherished number plate gazzillionaire with this bad boy...let the bidding wars commence!

plate1.jpg

Or maybe I was just messing about while the Wife was watching Eastenders

I have also just caught up with the Albert Bollox Blog, having not checked it for a bit.

The Mazza work is ASTOUNDING. If I had my cap on I would dof it. Amazing stuff Mr B, you must be very pleased with it. :D:D:D

DSC03894b.jpg

First proper drive of the 460 since I fitted the new wheels to it. Best comment yet was from a dub mong who was overheard saying 'Those wheels should be on a Volkswagen'. :roll: Yeah. Except they're not Borbets (that's the next question I get asked, after LOL CAN I HAV UR ENGINE 4 ME 5GT ROFL), they're Oscam Vegas, and they won't be going on a fucking VW for as long as I'm around, anyway.

It really transforms how the car drives too. It feels slower, not just because of the larger rolling radius but because they've taken all the histrionics out of booting it. Now it just gets on and goes. Eagle F1s have incredibly stiff sidewalls though, so the ride has got harder, and noisier.

A fair trade off, I reckon. I am very tempted to take it to France. Very tempted.

Nice wheels those, Jon. What profile of tyre are you running, hard to tell from the picture but they look 55 or 60 series? If the last ones were lower profile I bet it's a whole lot nicer to drive now.

Out in the Jaaaaag last night, in the pissin rain. We're not talking everyday rain here, it was TIPPING it down. Mr Dick Head in his VW van (the Polo one) decided he was going to race me from the traffic lights at Windmill. As oft-quoted on this forum, I put brogue to Axminster and the Jag took off like a stabbed rat. 200 horsepower and all-wheel drive. What a brilliant machine! Fast, comfy and shows a clean pair of heels.

!!POLITICAL WARNING!! Interesting graph on my pretentious homepage news website came up earlier, for all those who say we're so up shit creek it transpires that of all the world's advanced economies, only Sweden, Switzerland, the States and Norway are less likely to default on their national debts than we are:

http://www.businessinsider.com/presenti ... s-rates-21

!!POLITICAL WARNING!! Interesting graph on my pretentious homepage news website came up earlier, for all those who say we're so up shit creek it transpires that of all the world's advanced economies, only Sweden, Switzerland, the States and Norway are less likely to default on their national debts than we are:

http://www.businessinsider.com/presenti ... s-rates-21

[DULL AS FUCK WARNING] You can't really default on a currency which you are sovereign in, mainly because you print it yourself. Foreign debts, sure, but not debt in the national currency. The Euro is fucked for that very reason; Greece, Spain, Ireland no longer have sovereign currencies.

The whole fucking "we're going to cut everything because we've run out of money and might default" austerity shit is complete bull driven by ideology. In the late 40's 70% of our GDP was public spending (its 40-something now), and we didn't default then, and we sure as hell won't now.

Go read http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/ for more :)

Sorry to hijack :P

"we're going to cut everything because we've run out of money and might default"

Likewise... http://www.businessinsider.com/david-ca ... ent-2012-4

Petrol's still going up by 3p in two months, booooooo :(

Indeed :)

I think some food for thought for the austerity pushers would be out of those three economies, the one recovering quickest is the only one out of the three which hasn't fallen hook, line and sinker for the austerity argument.

I hate political arguments on forums, but simple economics tells me you cannot spend more than you earn for very long before being up shit creek without a paddle. It is as true of me as it is of a government! The rules are the same - spend too much without the ability to finance it all and feel the pain as you have to cut back.

I hate political arguments on forums, but simple economics tells me you cannot spend more than you earn for very long before being up shit creek without a paddle. It is as true of me as it is of a government! The rules are the same - spend too much without the ability to finance it all and feel the pain as you have to cut back.

The rules aren't the same. For one, when you or I run out of money, we can't go and print more of it, which is precisely what any nation with a sovereign currency can do.

Put it this way. The US deficit is something like $15 trillion. Would it make any difference if it was $10 trillion? Or $20? Or $100? Not really. To all intents and purposes it's an imaginary number. It doesn't exist in the same way a fiver in your pocket exists.

The lure of the austerity argument is that people think that governments and individuals have the same economics. Nothing could be further from the truth.

What disturbs me is that people (esp. those with low incomes) are suffering immense hardship as a result of that misunderstanding.

Morris Oxford miser wrote:

thats great, a classic is the only car i would trust to do a trip like that .reliable and if it should break down you have got 99.9%chance of getting it running again unless its a major faliure .these plastic monstrosities today, absolutely no style or class with boring plastic interiors, seats that give you a numb backside and that plastic walnut giving it that air of quality.im not suprised before long if you break wind inside one of these things a sensor will put it in limp home mode.

The rules aren't the same. For one, when you or I run out of money, we can't go and print more of it, which is precisely what any nation with a sovereign currency can do.

Put it this way. The US deficit is something like $15 trillion. Would it make any difference if it was $10 trillion? Or $20? Or $100? Not really. To all intents and purposes it's an imaginary number. It doesn't exist in the same way a fiver in your pocket exists.

The lure of the austerity argument is that people think that governments and individuals have the same economics. Nothing could be further from the truth.

What disturbs me is that people (esp. those with low incomes) are suffering immense hardship as a result of that misunderstanding.

while you can print more money, there comes a reckoning and it normally involves spending more on debt repayment or defaulting and running to the IMF. As an individual, I can't run to the IMF, so I'm up shit creek with no money and no house.

However, the spending your way out of a recession only works if you spend the money on capital projects and don't squander it on paying people to sit on their arses.

No one has yet addressed the major issue in the world today and that is over population.

However, back on topic - XM estate beckons this weekend!

I've actually got a couple of books in the post* right now on peak oil and sustainable negative growth (weird concept to get your head around).

*impending doom has began early though with me - the collapse of civilisation has started with me thinking oh the mail's late, long bank holiday weekend, then Waterstones email me this morning "your order has been dispatched", two weeks after I sent it. Fucks sake!

the IMF

Ahh, the old friend. They'll bail you out, sure, but then for eternity impose draconian right wing economic policies on you for eternity (look at Chile, Argentina, soon the PIGS)

(most) non-commercial drivers still don't really have the right to moan about the fuel duty increase though - you made a concious choice to drive a car less efficient than your parents and to have a right foot glued to the floor. Buy a Fiat panda or something, drive slower and don't drive six miles to Spar to buy a sodding sandwich.

Morris Oxford miser wrote:

thats great, a classic is the only car i would trust to do a trip like that .reliable and if it should break down you have got 99.9%chance of getting it running again unless its a major faliure .these plastic monstrosities today, absolutely no style or class with boring plastic interiors, seats that give you a numb backside and that plastic walnut giving it that air of quality.im not suprised before long if you break wind inside one of these things a sensor will put it in limp home mode.

Haha, most of the people on that forum seem to be like that.

The local petrol station at the other end of my road sells "Old English 800" in 32oz bottles for $1.49, so 1.6 UK pints of beer for 93p and tastes better than that stuff I used to get from Lidl when I lived in UK.

Welsh Government uses your Tax...

...to brainwash preschoolers to be shite lovers!

This series also featured a green T2 camper in another episode:

BONGO.png

Here is the lovely Heti and her vehicles of choice (the 2cv features quite a lot):

2CV.png

TRACTOR.png

This, I believe is a hacked up 2cv:

blabla.png

This car belongs to an inventor type, it quite often goes wrong, same series also feature a soft top Ford Ka:

KIT.png

saved the best 'til last:

VOLVO.png

The future looks good for Welsh kids!

Just done something like 177 miles in the Honda, most of it doing 'just over' the motorway speed limit to Leeds and back. Bombed along a treat and (by my usually rubbarsh maths) has done in the region of 35+mpg. Chuffed with that, it wasn't always easy maintaining one speed due to busy roads/knobheads/time taken to get back up to speed if road was slow but the car ran like clockwork. I'm now 'officially' removing it from sale for a while as the economy and reliabilty means it can stay for a bit yet.