The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 07/04/2024 at 17:18, JJ0063 said:

Well, I’ve agreed to buy the Mini for £500 as long as I can get hold of a trailer to get it home. 

I’ve also bought another car specifically to roffle non profit just because it was cool. What’s happened to me 😂

This aged well 😂 

Mini seller called me today to say he’s had a change of heart as someone’s told him they’re certain they can fix it cheaply so he’s keeping it.

Roffle car if you’ve not already seen the thread overheated on the way home and is fucked 😂

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

they’re certain they can fix it cheaply

Bwahahaha! Heard that before about Binis :-) Maybe you got a lucky escape?

15 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This aged well 😂 

Mini seller called me today to say he’s had a change of heart as someone’s told him they’re certain they can fix it cheaply so he’s keeping it.

Roffle car if you’ve not already seen the thread overheated on the way home and is fucked 😂

How long until the status changes back to "easy fix m11 just run out of time" 🤣 ?

4 hours ago, 320touring said:

Back behind the tiller again.

Oxford Canal for 4 nights with the Goddaughter and her parents.

Brilliant times!

PXL_20240408_144930393_MP.jpg.cea92656c04ec7ab54866db89ed05694.jpg

Happy floating, have fond memories

19 hours ago, 320touring said:

Back behind the tiller again.

Oxford Canal for 4 nights with the Goddaughter and her parents.

Brilliant times!

PXL_20240408_144930393_MP.jpg.cea92656c04ec7ab54866db89ed05694.jpgPXL_20240408_153343380_MP.jpg.948bbe2a2d8181c19da6c8b4078267de.jpgPXL_20240408_134850985.jpg.392a4d911baceedcb804dfe48fbf901f.jpgPXL_20240408_182110288.jpg.97afdf998884fee374a699b6ccbc18c8.jpg

"There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/27165634/cheap-skoda-1000-mile-road-trip/

I took a £150 Favorit 2000 miles across Europe. If only I was a YouTuber I too might have made it onto the pages of The Sun !

Pah I did that for shitefest_Scotland in a £150 laguna 2! And slept in it, and it jump started a green goddess

My balls are bigger than his... 

2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I took a £150 Favorit 2000 miles across Europe. If only I was a YouTuber I too might have made it onto the pages of The Sun !

What bloody drivel.  It's a run from one end of the UK and back.  Any reasonably roadworthy car should be capable of handling that.  Trust the Sun to make 1000 miles sound like it's fully circumnavigating the earth!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Fuck sake. I did near enough 900 miles in the Amazon to get to Rustival and back. And I'd do it again tomorrow.

Between us we put over 900 miles each on the 205 and the Toledo on our FOTU road trip last year.

It's not a long way.

8 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I had a silver R reg Felicia estate just like that. I did 80,000 miles in it in about eight years before the rust finally beat it. Idiots. 

I like this bit.

Screenshot_20240409_230332_edit_1348324841078465.jpg.5ff8cd881b7da9b554ed0b162d9d37bf.jpg

So he named it after his late friend and not the badge on the boot. That was a happy coincidence.

I completely fail to see why this is considered newsworthy.

• Agree 3

Thought I’d update on the Vectra.

since acquiring it, I’ve already wet/dry sanded and DA polished the headlamps, fixed the floppy indicator thanks to @Popsicle help, replaced the blown heater resistor, and given it an oil/filter, fuel and pollen filter. Fuel filter wasn’t original which was good to see, at least it was done once in the cars life 😂. Even cleaned out the rubber bung and surrounding area of the pollen filter so it doesn’t suffer the flooding in the footwell that it can cause. 

getting underneath there is clearly a small oil leak which, I suspect is from the weeping rocker cover given how it has slowly accumulated over time. Absolutely rinsed brake clean everywhere to clean it all off. I’ve ordered up a Febi rocker cover/gasket set which I hope arrives by the weekend. I’ll replace the plugs then too.

I’ve also changed the nasty plastic steering wheel with one from an SRi which is miles better. 

I’ve also had the timing belt/water pump and auxiliary belt done. It was on the original belt as well so glad this is sorted for peace of mind.

also put 2 new rear tyres on, as they were so old I couldn’t even see the dot code on one of them! It starts immediately with barely a crank and the engine is really torquey. I think it’s definitely had a clutch in its life as its immediate and a good biting point, again good to see.

I am clearly going beserk but as people know me I’m incredibly pedantic and have to get stuff done asap, else it really itches my brain. The interior is what lets the car down, it’s just tired seats which are typical cheap Vauxhall. I’ve found a guy breaking a VXR and I’m travelling there Saturday where it’ll have VXR recaro seats which will just lift the inside.

I’ve ordered the rear drop links and bushes as they are audibly knocking and for the sake of about £33 all in I may as well do it this month.

next month I’ll replace the thermostat as it’s lazy, and I’ll see about doing the front discs and pads as although pads have plenty on them, the discs are pretty poor in my opinion.

overall, enjoying this car. Will serve me well for a bit.

756637CE-DC24-4C96-B0FF-A4F04F8368E5.jpeg

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pat Earrings said:

since acquiring it, I’ve already wet/dry sanded and DA polished the headlamps, fixed the floppy indicator thanks to @Popsicle help, replaced the blown heater resistor, and given it an oil/filter, fuel and pollen filter. Fuel filter wasn’t original which was good to see, at least it was done once in the cars life 😂. Even cleaned out the rubber bung and surrounding area of the pollen filter so it doesn’t suffer the flooding in the footwell that it can cause. 

getting underneath there is clearly a small oil leak which, I suspect is from the weeping rocker cover given how it has slowly accumulated over time. Absolutely rinsed brake clean everywhere to clean it all off. I’ve ordered up a Febi rocker cover/gasket set which I hope arrives by the weekend. I’ll replace the plugs then too.

I’ve also changed the nasty plastic steering wheel with one from an SRi which is miles better. 

I’ve also had the timing belt/water pump and auxiliary belt done. It was on the original belt as well so glad this is sorted for peace of mind.

also put 2 new rear tyres on, as they were so old I couldn’t even see the dot code on one of them! It starts immediately with barely a crank and the engine is really torquey. I think it’s definitely had a clutch in its life as its immediate and a good biting point, again good to see.

I am clearly going beserk but as people know me I’m incredibly pedantic and have to get stuff done asap, else it really itches my brain. The interior is what lets the car down, it’s just tired seats which are typical cheap Vauxhall. I’ve found a guy breaking a VXR and I’m travelling there Saturday where it’ll have VXR recaro seats which will just lift the inside.

I’ve ordered the rear drop links and bushes as they are audibly knocking and for the sake of about £33 all in I may as well do it this month.

next month I’ll replace the thermostat as it’s lazy, and I’ll see about doing the front discs and pads as although pads have plenty on them, the discs are pretty poor in my opinion.

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

It's doing the small jobs before they become big jobs that stops bad experiences! 

I had to do the rocker cover gaskets on the ex's 1.6 and 1.8 Vauxhalls, need to do it to my car too this year. It's mildly worse on the Vauxhall though as it weeps onto the exhaust manifold and stinks (thats the nagging I got to change it, not that it was leaking but it stunk and blew smoke up when sat in traffic 😂. Xsara doesn't do that so I've been able to ignore it more) 

10 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It's doing the small jobs before they become big jobs that stops bad experiences! 

I had to do the rocker cover gaskets on the ex's 1.6 and 1.8 Vauxhalls, need to do it to my car too this year. It's mildly worse on the Vauxhall though as it weeps onto the exhaust manifold and stinks (thats the nagging I got to change it, not that it was leaking but it stunk and blew smoke up when sat in traffic 😂. Xsara doesn't do that so I've been able to ignore it more) 

Yeah it’s been satisfying tbh. I think it’s just needed a bit of TLC re this stuff so I’ve clearly got it when it all needs doing.

mine doesn’t leak on the manifold I think it’s leaking more behind itself. I checked the oil cooler too as I know they are common but I think it’s ok. I can get a new kit for £30 from Neo Bros so it’s not the end of the world to farm it out when it does present itself eventually.

2 hours ago, Pat Earrings said:

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

It’s amazing how much work you put in for the next owner when you get bored next month.

A  neighbour's kid has a Corsa D, and only today did I notice how weird and ugly the A-pillar design is on them...strange lines and door design.

image.png.1a75f4e4fff6f231e10ee9feaed8f53f.png

• Like 1

i popped in to see my mam on the way to work on monday, the stupid bini refused to start when i left so i had to borrow her astra :( 

it was pouring down yesterday so i only had a brief look, i tried the second key - nothing, i hooked up jump leads - nothing, i gave it a stern look - nothing. so i gave up  and borrowed the astra again.

then it occurred to me that i may have breakdown cover on my insurance ?

IMG_6705.png.0640d81c1cbdab5f59312ef7b9a32b44.png

nice one - even if it’s fucked, i can get it towed home to work on.

i rang the number which sent me a text with a weblink to a form to report my breakdown. sounds rather convoluted but it worked well.

expecting a bit of a wait, i put the kettle on and was pleased to see a message forecasting attendance in approx two hours. so i cancelled the coffee and headed down to me mams house to wait there instead. 5 mins later the phone is ringing and the rac guy will be with me in 10 mins. 

rightly enough, he turned up promptly, stuck his mega jump leads on and pronounced the starter motor dead. he moved his van then gave me a shove down the street and i bump started it in reverse :) 

you can’t fault service like that - well done, the rac !

i nervously drove it up to scaryoldcortinas place, desperately trying not to stall. as he had just finished doing the mot on the mx5 we swapped over and he will sort the bini in the morning.

21 minutes ago, gm said:

he moved his van then gave me a shove down the street and i bump started it in reverse :) 

save straining a muscle

Pollen filter is another easy win on i10.

Ford Fusion - crawl in footwell
Mondeo - remove scuttle and wiper arm
Mazda 323 - comes in three awkward parts that have to be fitted exactly right
Astra MK4 - can't remember?

Anyway, i10 is simply drop glovebox down with removable side lugs, pop off cover and slide in. No tools needed.

Febi might be an upgrade to Blue Print here.

DSCF0807.JPG.d69c33a616129e4de20fb8bdac688163.JPGDSCF0808.JPG.c582df35c3b66927858f68dd5738ed22.JPG

22 hours ago, Pat Earrings said:

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

For the money they are hard to beat. As an insignia owner it makes the vectra look old - which it is. However if I needed a cheap car I would have one in a heartbeat.

At least you don't have the 16v diesel - injectors have to be pulled before you can get the valve cover off.

I managed to change the bulb in the mondeo that had defeated me a couple of weeks ago.

While I was there I remembered one of the screws was mullered on the airbox - it was imposdible to extract the air filter without removing it.

So I got my drill out - 20240411_144226.jpg.8941b5bfe691aa7ad7309dddce6cdd7a.jpg

The rest came out with a pair of end snips -

20240411_144349.jpg.89992dd51c538e97e72f866676ed8840.jpg

18 hours ago, stuboy said:

save straining a muscle

I got some proper hacky looks before Christmas, picking up the kids from school in the Clio when the starter was a bit sticky and having to single handedly bump start it in the dark and snow.  I thought I did pretty well doing it smoothly though!

Some dreadful news from the classic Citroen community 

Screenshot_20240411_180452_Chrome.jpg.329ab73343d193daf366e9a1b24bf35e.jpg

Paul was a nice bloke, generous with his time, knowledge and spare parts and a big reason a huge amount of XMs and Xantias are still on the road 

RIP

Added a rear ARB to the Yaris. It's made a huge difference, the car feels loads more confident and planted - new springs and dampers probably help too. Close to pretty much fully overhauling it!

PXL_20240411_153030544.jpg

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

Some dreadful news from the classic Citroen community 

Screenshot_20240411_180452_Chrome.jpg.329ab73343d193daf366e9a1b24bf35e.jpg

Paul was a nice bloke, generous with his time, knowledge and spare parts and a big reason a huge amount of XMs and Xantias are still on the road 

RIP

Read that earlier, such a shame. He was a wonderful guy, messaged me alot when I had my xm 😥 was practically begging people to come take the spares he had over the last few months too so they went to a good home

• Sad 3

Two weeks ago I posted about the Proton Saga I bought, well I found and bought 2 more! 🤣

20240412_174322.jpg.58f8c74a66809216385ce102607dfd35.jpg

And a RAM Rebel, to add to the growing collection of Mopar I have.