The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, SiC said:

I have Clarke machine mart ones. Went together fine but occasionally the tabs get on the wrong side. Definitely don't force them otherwise they'll bend the wrong way. Some of them I had to use a flat headed screwdriver to get them started on the right side first and some persuasion to make sure they go through both holes. 

The part that has gone the worst so far is the couplers between the halves of the legs. The first 3 have gone in ok (well, there's about a 2mm gap that looks like it shouldn't be there, but I'm sure it'll be fine if they're all like that) but the last one has got stuck with a 2cm gap.

Not to mention that when I was fitting them to the tops of the bottom halves of the leg I followed exactly what it said to do, and yet they still got all fucked up and bent!

The part that has gone the worst so far is the couplers between the halves of the legs. The first 3 have gone in ok (well, there's about a 2mm gap that looks like it shouldn't be there, but I'm sure it'll be fine if they're all like that) but the last one has got stuck with a 2cm gap.
Not to mention that when I was fitting them to the tops of the bottom halves of the leg I followed exactly what it said to do, and yet they still got all fucked up and bent!
Some of it needed a good few taps of the mallet to seat things home.

2 minutes ago, SiC said:
3 minutes ago, reb said:

Some of it needed a good few taps of the mallet to seat things home.

I will admit that it would probably be going slightly more smoothly if my "mallet" wasn't an old thermos flask.

Just now, reb said:

I will admit that it would probably be going slightly more smoothly if my "mallet" wasn't an old thermos flask.

Yeah I definitely would use a rubber mallet. Not only to reduce the damage but the weight of it gives a proper push down.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Popsicle said:

Do they still put the grease covered pole across the canal on bank holidays to let the ladys have a pillow fight on?

I have no idea, when is the next bank holiday?

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yeah I definitely would use a rubber mallet. Not only to reduce the damage but the weight of it gives a proper push down.  

All of my tools are at my unit and I can't get there until probably saturday (maybe even not until next saturday) and I need/want to get these sorted by the weekend.

I think I maybe have a normal hammer somewhere, which would be both better and worse at the same time.

I can only assume the Halfords and other "proper" brands that sell what look to be identical shelving must actually be a bit better made

30 minutes ago, reb said:

Was yours made of tinfoil? It arrived today, and christ is the metal flimsy.

I've had to take a break from assembling the first one because I'm getting so pissed off with things bending in ways they're not supposed to.

I know I'm a ham-fisted orangutan but this is ridiculous!

Erm, I mean yeah it's made from Chinese pressed "steel" but it's man enough to support a load of tools and stuff. 

I seem to remember there was a knack, and a hammer was useful. 

13 minutes ago, reb said:

All of my tools are at my unit and I can't get there until probably saturday (maybe even not until next saturday) and I need/want to get these sorted by the weekend.

I think I maybe have a normal hammer somewhere, which would be both better and worse at the same time.

I can only assume the Halfords and other "proper" brands that sell what look to be identical shelving must actually be a bit better made

I would use a piece of wood between metal and hammer if no mallet available.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, barefoot said:

They may get wet

Take some spare underwear.

• Haha 2

ah brilliant thanks. Those wheel trims and Felicia mirrors were binned off pretty quickly. Interesting how bright the coach lines are because when I bought in early 2019 they were really faded

• Like 3

I found a lump hammer, and it made the process about 420% easier.

Taking a break now, then I have to move some stuff to put the first one in place, then I can put the second one together.

Though having just looked at the time I should probably do it tomorrow since I doubt my neighbours would appreciate loud hammering at 9pm.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, barefoot said:

I think they used to do it on August bank holiday, I am going back to the 90's though!

3 hours ago, reb said:

No, they all the same quality. Fairly rigid when up. I increased strength with a screw into the wall on each back leg.

Got little Zetor fixed today. Had the old exhaust manifold fitted with new gaskets and the new exhaust part in red fitted but reused the old exhaust pipe as it has a few years left in it and replaced the leaking frost plug.

IMG_20240405_132146_395.jpg.c562bbf79853efb84a14cc14a89662f5.jpg

IMG_20240405_134042_664.jpg.1b4442a37a0e5bcc316ed7d399742e94.jpg

I also had the new coolant tool kit tested to pressure test the cooling system and it worked well and the system held pressure. So now it is ready for use again.

IMG_20240405_122713_233.jpg.7fbe6d17c3f9ba4c42df0aba260f0adb.jpg

3 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Wondering how difficult it is to buy and import a car from Greece.

I'm trying to figure out how to get this back from Thailand.

Screenshot_20240402-075406.png.37a12aef5525ea3977f2ef26f838747c.png

5 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I'm trying to figure out how to get this back from Thailand

Fly there and drive it home?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Great to see a solutions driven approach! 

Best plan.😀

That will do for me then, the Safrane lives on. Still need to source a spring seat for her though. But it's great to have a local garage that is sympathetic to our old shite.

Screenshot_2024-04-05-16-59-08-655_com.android.chrome.jpg

50 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

image.png.ce05d4de861707a9d6db504c3feae4d0.png

Sodding Google. 

Anyhow, looking at it myself I'm not sure whether I should go through Iran or Russia? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Anyhow, looking at it myself I'm not sure whether I should go through Iran or Russia? 

Iran. Believe Ed March said that Iranians were one of the friendliest people he had met and if he had to choose a place where he would have woken up naked with nothing, it would have been Iran.

Ed March drove from Thailand? to the UK on a Honda C90.

https://www.youtube.com/c/c90adventures/videos

17 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Got little Zetor fixed today. Had the old exhaust manifold fitted with new gaskets and the new exhaust part in red fitted but reused the old exhaust pipe as it has a few years left in it and replaced the leaking frost plug.

IMG_20240405_132146_395.jpg.c562bbf79853efb84a14cc14a89662f5.jpg

IMG_20240405_134042_664.jpg.1b4442a37a0e5bcc316ed7d399742e94.jpg

I also had the new coolant tool kit tested to pressure test the cooling system and it worked well and the system held pressure. So now it is ready for use again.

IMG_20240405_122713_233.jpg.7fbe6d17c3f9ba4c42df0aba260f0adb.jpg

I have that kit, it's surprisingly good quality. Well done on the tractor, Zetors were all the rage in rural south west England where I grew up. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, egg said:

Love this spot by a car spotter in Greece. Just sitting there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4m3FvUIIvX/

image.jpeg.0019b016c6da280822ab40f011091561.jpeg

image.jpeg.4b0491d529e8951b1792e7e4f46f0469.jpeg

After my visit of Athens I'm convinced it might be the best spot to see old shite like this in Europe. Around every single corner there would be the next two or three interesting cars.

• Like 2

someone hopefully coming to see the M3 this afternoon.  The bodywork starting to show its age so not sure if we are going to be able to agree on a price but let's see

20240406_110246.jpg