The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

23 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Nice collection. Is your brother moving his Celica on at any point?

He’s made mutterings about selling it on once it’s done, but it’s a few weekends of welding away from that so I’m not sure it’ll see the road until next summer at least.

I’ll make sure it’s listed up on here though once we do finally get it sorted and up for sale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Josh, do not put your Nan in that trailer. (Ah, gwan)

She used to take me to the sheep farm at East Dean for tractor trailer rides when I was little, I can repay the favour this weekend!

Bromley Pageant this Sunday. Exhibitor tickets sold out but visitor tickets still available, or I think you can also pay on the day.  Getting the @spartacus Panda ready for display in the one make area, pop over and say hello if you see us

Its a great show and could well be  be the last in the current format/size due to the evil mayor who's name I can not speak 

• Like 5

Not the best start to the day…

FDACAE4B-2ED2-4945-B7EF-E4FB4AC4FC4F.thumb.jpeg.f7328e1918db1dcbdcadd2dfdbdc997e.jpeg

I’m ok and so are the occupants of the other car so that’s the main thing. I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt and the airbag didn’t go off…

Best go get the healing trailer from the farm.

20 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Today's choice of transport to the office. 

20230608_130754.thumb.jpg.2ad38b2a9c5cce8ca2a79d8f3ac77224.jpg

At least you can liven your car park up! My Xsara and there's another 2002 standard and quite nice black Toyota celica are the oldest cars I've ever seen in the car park of our new building 😢

We share an office with Peter Jones's company now, I've parked next to his urus once when there was fuck all other parking spaces so I picked a very naughty spot (no email got sent 👌) All the wheels are kerbed on it, especially the rear ones... 

13 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

FDACAE4B-2ED2-4945-B7EF-E4FB4AC4FC4F.thumb.jpeg.f7328e1918db1dcbdcadd2dfdbdc997e.jpeg

I’m ok and so are the occupants of the other car so that’s the main thing. I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt and the airbag didn’t go off…

ah man that sucks. glad everybody ok

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Glad everyone is OK but wear a fucking seatbelt, please!

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Glad all are OK. How did it happen? +1 for belt up.

• Thanks 1

After nearly three fscking hours of bashing my head against the internet, I *think* I may have tracked down a replacement gear shift linkage bush for the Renault.  Maybe.  Given they used to wear out for a pastime and the same part was used on basically the entire 80s into early 90s range I hadn't expected that to be quite such a pain in the proverbial rear to find.

I give it a 30% chance of actually being the right part when it turns up as it wasn't exactly the least sketchy looking website it was ordered from.  At the end of the day though it was only £7 so we'll see.

Edit: Apparently if I'd searched using a different platform on eBay I'd have turned up different results.  Who knew?  Guess I'll remember to try that next time.

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Damn, thats a shame. Glad all involved OK. 

• Thanks 1

Talking of meets, if anyone is down my way (New Forest / South Hampshire), I'm sure you'll have come across the Pride and Joy meets.

I think they're a great idea. The idea is, if a vehicle is your pride and joy, then bring it! Obviously, there are some lovely cars that rock up, but there's also some proper chod. And quality BaSE daily drivers and so on. Everyone's welcome. I'll be there with my blue MR2 (I think so far, I'm the only blue one)

Anyway, there's on tomorrow at midday near at the Cuckoo Inn, Hamptworth near Romsey. Bands on and all sorts too and the bonus being that it's free.

Another one next Saturday at Middle Wallop Air Museum near Andover.  I'm 50/50 about this as I might go to Bicester instead - it's pricey, but I'm thinking might be worth it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wesacosa said:

ah man that sucks. glad everybody ok

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Glad everyone is OK but wear a fucking seatbelt, please!

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Glad all are OK. How did it happen? +1 for belt up.

44 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Damn, thats a shame. Glad all involved OK. 

Thanks chaps. Yes, definitely should've been wearing my seatbelt - a stupid habit from when I was younger that's hard to shake off if I don't consciously think about it when I get in a car. Todays accident will burn that memory in to my mind, if nothing else.

It was on the A259 at Bishopstone for those of you that know it. A car nipped out from a junction on our right to wait in the right turn lane to join us, and the car in front panicked and locked on. I slammed on the brakes and was on the horn as it was clear in front and I hoped they might abort their emergency stop but no such luck. My fault ultimately as I obviously didn't leave enough space.

I've recovered the car to the stables now, and I've made my insurer aware. Seeing as I rear ended the car in front, I'm at fault. The car is being written off and I've asked to retain it as salvage. @JJ0063 if I get stuck with the insurers, is there any chance I could call on your extensive knowledge? Hopefully it will all be fairly smooth and I just get sent a cheque in the post.

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

. @JJ0063 if I get stuck with the insurers, is there any chance I could call on your extensive* knowledge? Hopefully it will all be fairly smooth and I just get sent a cheque in the post.

Added an asterisk for you there but absolutely, I don’t have huge knowledge on the claims side of it but worst case I know people that do so I’m sure I can help in some way! 

• Thanks 1

It's not only cars that need a tow after a breakdown. A few days ago Spitfire P7350 had an engine problem when returning to land at Coningsby. The pilot landed safely and shut the engine off while still rolling. He restarted it to get it off the runway and then called for a tow truck, a tug turned up and hauled him off backwards with the driver still in it for that ride of shame!

Spitfire breakdown 01.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Innocenti is going in for its MOT this morning.  Should be interesting...

Failed on two small bits of welding in the front inner arches which I hadn't spotted, and a couple of minor lighting issues probably mostly due to dodgy earths (a recurring theme with that car).  So not too bad a result really.

Got rather late for an update last night, but today after waiting for the wind to die down . I've finally applied  some black stonechip on, only problem is it's forecast rain tomorrow afternoon and I wanted to apply some dinitrol  wax before reassembly.

So will be touch and go if I can get it all back together, but I'm not going to stress over it. 

IMG_20230609_190910.thumb.jpg.4e9d8b7c3bdce570ac991433fd63357a.jpg

Also the rear trim staying on atm, front one has been glued to the bumper last night.

IMG_20230608_183722.thumb.jpg.69eb9bfbc2a9f65de3abdabfce23fdae.jpg

IMG_20230609_191206.thumb.jpg.f71e4cab1be9b7f57bf47e3aada48fd7.jpg

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It's not only cars that need a tow after a breakdown. A few days ago Spitfire P7350 had an engine problem when returning to land at Coningsby. The pilot landed safely and shut the engine off while still rolling. He restarted it to get it off the runway and then called for a tow truck, a tug turned up and hauled him off backwards with the driver still in it for that ride of shame!

Spitfire breakdown 01.jpg

Quite possibly overheating; even when working properly the system is just capable of dealing with the waste heat in the air and even ticking over on the ground will boil them in a few minutes.

Lovely warm sunny day today. Perfect for spraying cavity wax about!

Ive got some leftover Dynax wax from the Capri so I’ve been using it to do a few bits on the Mercury now it’s warm and dry enough too. The sun and warmth really helps with this as it thins the wax even more and really let’s it soak into all the joins and seems in the panels.

IMG_2148.thumb.jpeg.9164377bb59a139777861ae2af490a63.jpeg

IMG_2149.thumb.jpeg.33e6a72af32beb8fdc869ac74c1c26cc.jpeg

IMG_2150.thumb.jpeg.d933dd275828f5463542db0149062fdf.jpeg

All the insides of the bonnet and boot lid frames and skins are now done, you can see a few rags stuffed in gaps to catch any excess! 
I’ve also used some of the clear thicker wax to spray over the patches of surface rust around the shut lines then wiped them down with a rag (the surface rust was on these bits when it came over from the US) Obviously it’d be better bare metalling those bits and repainting them but it’s a hell of a lot of work and it won’t look the same after. I’d quite like to try to keep this car as original as I can, so I’d rather leave the old worn paint as long as I can and just keep using polish/wax and cavity wax etc to help preserve it as it is. 

Ended up getting covered in wax and sweating like a pig doing it, but it’s all worth the effort!

I visited Upullit today to get some daft wee bits for the Saab and, on this rare occasion, there was a bonus Rover 75. I managed to get a replacement for the interior door handle I broke last year on mine when removing it, plus some grommets for the scuttle. I took the key as well as the replacement cases you get on ebay are dire and dont work. Plus it had a nice 'Edinburgh Audi' leather keyring which will be perfect for the TT.

There were a few interesting cars in such as a MK1 Xitroen Xsara estate. There was also this poor thing:

20230610_101240.thumb.jpg.619116edbc2d10ebb1511b940b709c6c.jpg

20230610_101450.thumb.jpg.40f85579901a5a27a79fef974085a7ff.jpg

It looked in great condition inside and out and it was largely complete. Passed its MOT with no advisories in December 2007 and wherever it has sat since then, its been under cover.  Hopefully it will donate many useful parts. The interior was blue cord velour in case anyone was wondering.

Just now, danthecapriman said:

Really!?

Its hot and sunny here!

Well I was sitting in the garden until the thunder and lightning started. Lots in Oxfordshire.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Well I was sitting in the garden until the thunder and lightning started. Lots in Oxfordshire.

Oxford isn’t all that far from here either. It’s amazing how the weather can be so different over not much distance.