HMC- FACE/OFF feat: GS

HMC

Brilliant to see this thread back and you posting again, HMC. Your Beetle looks way better than my old 67 which I owned back in the early 90s. Great fun to drive, mind, and the Kadron pipe I ran on my 1300 lump sounded pretty good. 

• Like 3

I've always had a soft spot for those Mexican Beetles, despite not being a fan of Beetles in general, I think it is because I love an anachronism, stuff that looks out of date even when new. Painted wheels and the new plates have lifted it too.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Matty said:

Still on my never ending list of things to own. So this leads me to ask the time honoured question

What's it like to drive mister?

(Sorry HMC, you must be fucking sick of this by now)

Mexibugs are on beam fronts, unlike the later German 1302/1303s with wobblestruts, so they're basically a pre-war design with improvements like disc brakes and such over time.

Was surprised with my first one ('78) feeling so pleasant to drive - the only surprise along the same lines was trying an Allegro and realising that it really wasn't that different to pootling about in a Micra, and it felt considerably more modern than the Chevette I tried the same day...

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Almost forgot, an interior pic.

IMG_3951.thumb.jpeg.483a0ab7c8e38acad9a1566a2ab3bf85.jpeg

And some more of the degrading paint..

IMG_3950.thumb.jpeg.ee12839734d5243ca63d6fc6cc6e9118.jpeg

IMG_3949.thumb.jpeg.ea3cff33d23fb67988d9dc6764dddf28.jpeg

So you're justifying the repair costs by cancelling gym membership, parking with that steering wheel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Losing @HMC was like a stomach punch. I didn't know how to cope without a fellow Tavonian shiter, I felt like I was flying the flag on my own.

But life's balance has been restored and he's back with another wartime jalopy. Beetles are an acquired taste and I have not acquired the taste. Then again I suppose maintenance is easy...

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 7:08 PM, hairnet said:

roofrack and surfboard next? :D

epic trip for the limo - barnstaple  then :D

It's a strong look

(on the way to Cornwall in my mexibug in 2006, Dartmoor I think)

image.thumb.jpeg.c5a32c8ce4524b14e1e70f3e9f4a2db5.jpeg

I realise that it might not be around for long or required but I've just uncovered a bunch of useful Mexibug docs I have saved, including Wiring diagrams, service schedule, adjusting the (hydraulic) tappets, Digifant ECU and 1600i engine spec, parts cross ref with other VAG etc. etc.

Let me know if is of interest to anyone and I'll post it all up. 

image.jpeg.29fa6fb77205ce594634700137373dc8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3eec5c9dd50fa5eb0e745ed18c2e3d60.jpeg

8 minutes ago, djim said:

I realise that it might not be around for long or required but I've just uncovered a bunch of useful Mexibug docs I have saved, including Wiring diagrams, service schedule, adjusting the (hydraulic) tappets, Digifant ECU and 1600i engine spec, parts cross ref with other VAG etc. etc.

Let me know if is of interest to anyone and I'll post it all up. 

image.jpeg.29fa6fb77205ce594634700137373dc8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3eec5c9dd50fa5eb0e745ed18c2e3d60.jpeg

Yes please! What became of yours?

ps; because you're welcome and also so i could look cool as fuck with it on my roof rack heading west. 

Pps; care not the how when why though care lots you're back. full on hero status. chod speed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1