Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - what date should the next FoD be?

Six-cylinder

36 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

@Slowsilver Armed with a printout on how to start your 20/25.

Hopefully the instructions are along the lines of "Have your mechanic check......" "Your chauffeur should have....before you set off....."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have also blow a headlight bulb, 36w dual filament.

IMG_20230728_175606 broad.jpg

IMG_20230728_175640 broad.jpg

Aww shame it failed! looking at the blue colourations, it looks like it suffered and failed from a slow air leak

but I am not gonna lie that one of the things I was/am looking forward to is oggling at all the old bulbs likely still present on the car :) so I appreciate the detailed photos! 

aside from "no 171" "465" "12V" and '36/36"W do you see any other numbers on the etch/bulb? I am specifically looking for a 2 number code which will be the ELMA date code and allow me to date the lamp more precisely :) (I suspect the 465 might be it with an additional number to donate the production line it was made on, but I just wanna double check)

but in general looking at the style of etch, the fact its Siemens branded (a brand retired by the end of the 1950's/start of the 1960's) but does have a type Code "No 171" I would place this lamp as mid 1950's vintage :) (no earlier than 1953 which from my research is when the automotive lamp type coding system was introduced)

52 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

@Slowsilver helped me move the Biturbo to storage this afternoon to make more room for the 20/25. I felt it was only fair to give him first ride in the 20/25.

Armed with a printout on how to start your 20/25. Having had it on charge since last night the starter flung the engine over with enthusiasm. Trouble was it would only run using the starter carb which you are not suppose to use for more than 30 secs.  

Slowsilver noticed the knurled lid of the carburettor piston housing had vibrated lose and unscrewed slightly allowing the vacuum within to be compromised, the piston therefore did not rise and the slow running jet did not operate as intended.

This repair is of course considered to just be the normal duties of a chauffeur! (thank you slowsilver for your diagnosis and repair, you have saved the car from being unusable this weekend)

The plan now is to take slowsilver out for an evening run after rush hour.

IMG_20230728_174803 broad.jpg

calendar shot right there!

• Like 2

Tonight was a success, 20 mile drive with Mrs6C, Slowsilver, Mrs Slowsilver and Quicksilver.  

Driving the 20/25 takes a bit of learning, old fashioned heavy steering and cross ply tyres that wonder a bit. The worst bit is the gear change no syncro on 1st or 2nd, right hand gear change and my own leg is in the way. I am sure after some practice it will become second nature.  

Safely home now.

IMG_20230728_200143 broad.jpg

28 minutes ago, hairnet said:

they do seem a hyowj car

was it an issue reversing it in there?

Yes no mirrors is a major problem.

A pair of mirrors are now on order.

27 minutes ago, egg said:

can you pull off in 3rd?

Not really, 2nd flat or downhill and soon into 3rd. Uphill 1st to walking pace and crash it into 2nd and then it pulls strongly uphill in 3rd and 4th. I am sure I will get better at it with practice.

are you going to fit the SOE or leave it bare?

or possibly get a Rubber Duck type Mack emblem , bit more AS

44 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Not really, 2nd flat or downhill and soon into 3rd. Uphill 1st to walking pace and crash it into 2nd and then it pulls strongly uphill in 3rd and 4th. I am sure I will get better at it with practice.

Would double de-clutching help?

15 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

What's the turning circle like?  Every prewar car I've driven apart from the Renault Novaquatre was shite, and all were a lot smaller than the Rolls.

Shirley the turning circle is 'adequate'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

are you going to fit the SOE or leave it bare?

I really hope the SOE came with it. I'd love to see it fitted. 

Looking down an RR bonnet and having that emblem leading your way down the road really is quite something! 

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What's the turning circle like?  Every prewar car I've driven apart from the Renault Novaquatre was shite, and all were a lot smaller than the Rolls.

Terrible and you simply cannot turn the steering without the car moving.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I really hope the SOE came with it. I'd love to see it fitted. 

Looking down an RR bonnet and having that emblem leading your way down the road really is quite something! 

No sadly it only came with the plain town cap.

Any SOEs dumped unwanted at your place!

52 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

In disguise with a Town Cap. More apt....

image.thumb.png.a3a21c82ad16bcaffea3e60a429564db.png

57 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Tonight @ianbmw came over and did part 1 of fitting my reconditioned Carlton head.

IMG_20230729_201941 broad.jpg

Sure I just missed it, but did we ever find out why it failed so spectacularly shortly after the head being refitted before?  Original head gone porous?

29 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Sure I just missed it, but did we ever find out why it failed so spectacularly shortly after the head being refitted before?  Original head gone porous?

A small diameter hose came off when I took it out of storage and left a large puddle on the floor. I had left it idling while I put away another car and closed up. It was no problem to put the hose back on and refill the radiator. I drove about 4 miles and it seemed as if the engine was getting hot so I stopped and opened the bonnet. The temp gauge said normal and the radiator was full and stone cold, but the engine was overheating. 

I only came up with two explanations, first was the thermostat was jammed shut and the second that there was an airlock. I favoured the airlock as the culprit as the thermostat had been working fine 2/3 weeks before.

I had the head checked by the engineering shop and they found no problem with it being porous. They found a little distortion and machined it flat. there were also two very slightly bent valves that were replaced, which they believe happened when cranking it with water in the cylinder after the head gasket had failed.

IMG_20210819_134827 broad.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

That's sad - I'm sure in the walkaround video I saw of it, it had an SOE fitted. 

Best I could do would be to 3D print you one that'd be too small and chrome paint it! 😅

Yesterday I took the 20/25 to a care home in Milton Keynes. It part of a classic car display organised by Milton Keynes Classic Cars Club for the residents.

One lady was taken by a Tiger!

One of the staff was taken out in the noisy Corvette by its enthusiastic owner. On return I said to the girl, did that make your legs go wobbly, no she said my husband has a Porsche!

As this care home is the one that organised Classic cars for the residents I have put my name down for a place!

IMG_20230729_133732 broad.jpg

IMG_20230729_134521 broad.jpg

IMG_20230729_133610 broad.jpg

364008556_855789292690770_5602883183613148330_n broad.jpg

364004968_855789456024087_3998919479615073099_n broad.jpg