Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - what date should the next FoD be?

Six-cylinder

Just now, HMC said:

Glad the cf2 is being looked favourably upon, it’s fantastic!

Not by me, I see it as money pit that will test the patience of a saint.

I am old enough that these were still on van rental fleets and have suffered when others have rented one for me to drive when they could have got me the 10 times better Ford Transit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

the 10 times better Ford Transit.

No such creature existed until the CF2 arrived (kind of like the hare stopping for a nap), and even then the Ford tortoise took a couple of generations to catch up.

NA and NE are both Manchester combinations.

31 minutes ago, HMC said:

Was the Vauxhall collection from the north west? The NE Cavalier and NA (Chester?) cf2 have registrations that remind me of growing up (in the north west)

The owner of Custard Cavalier before the one I bought it from lived in Wideopen, Newcastle Upon Tyne. I believe the Photo with the my Angle Of The North was collecting it in about 2007. 

42 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Not by me, I see it as money pit that will test the patience of a saint....

...and thus perfect for @eddyramrod, who can then plead proper poverty(-spec) once he has possession of it!

Today I have collected the two replacement wheels I bought for the Peugeot 504 Cab. I have had them refurbished by a one man in a shed operation, fronts look good but backs are just cleaned. It feels I have paid less and got less, which is fine.

I will have to get some new tyres for them now.

To progress this car I now need some front brake disks. I have ordered them twice from two different suppliers and have been refunded because computer says they have stock, but they didn't.

IMG_20210814_150831 broad.jpg

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

.....To progress this car I now need some front brake disks. I have ordered them twice from two different suppliers and have been refunded because computer says they have stock, but they didn't.

IMG_20210814_150831 broad.jpg

There must be brake discs somewhere. Otherwise it would be Renault 30 woes all over again. 

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Not by me, I see it as money pit that will test the patience of a saint.

And this, from a serial Range Rover botherer...! 😉

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

And this, from a serial Range Rover botherer...! 😉

But it is a pleasure drive a Range Rover, how about a Bedford CF Diesel!

So far I have obtained four V5Cs of the eight cars in the Vauxhall collection. This morning I SORNed the four I have new V5Cs for.

The bit I don't remember seeing while doing SORN on line before is the line "Tax/SORN status: Not taxed keeper change" and in particular keeper change.

Have DVLA always listed Not taxed "keeper change" or is keeper change something new? @LightBulbFun

z SORN details.jpg

Today I have collected the two replacement wheels I bought for the Peugeot 504 Cab. I have had them refurbished by a one man in a shed operation, fronts look good but backs are just cleaned. It feels I have paid less and got less, which is fine.
I will have to get some new tyres for them now.
To progress this car I now need some front brake disks. I have ordered them twice from two different suppliers and have been refunded because computer says they have stock, but they didn't.

901671724_IMG_20210814_150831broad.thumb.jpg.d722ee16868d139b1ace489bb5dce3a0.jpg

Does AUTODOC FR have them? Mrs B has caught the ferry over this morning so quite literally that opportunity has sailed, but I will be over in early October if you want anything bringing over without the international postage nonsense.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

So far I have obtained four V5Cs of the eight cars in the Vauxhall collection. This morning I SORNed the four I have new V5Cs for.

The bit I don't remember seeing while doing SORN on line before is the line "Tax/SORN status: Not taxed keeper change" and in particular keeper change.

Have DVLA always listed Not taxed "keeper change" or is keeper change something new? @LightBulbFun

z SORN details.jpg

thats interesting

back in the bad old days, when Keeper changes even online took a while to process

eventually what would happen with a vehicle that was currently SORN or Taxed is the vehicle would become untaxed and the DVLA checker would display exactly that for the vehicle status "not taxed keeper change"

998272630_Screenshot2019-07-24at19_40_55.thumb.png.56bef17f730d9d4c865de4751950a7e4.png

however a while back the DVLA checker was updated and this message vanished along with a couple other useful messages

for example even on vehicles not taxed for on road use, it would tell you if the vehicle was still internally being taxed or if it was no longer being taxed (which would give you a clue if it was marked scrapped etc)

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-ViewVehicle-2019-04-29-02_56_31.png

image.png

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-ViewVehicle-2019-06-01-23_24_02.png

now when you look up any of these vehicles it just says "not taxed for on road use" for vehicle status sadly

it seems like, before the update (when they added last V5c issued) the "vehicle status" line was pulling its info from a slightly different source then the main red/green tax status box on the top left

now when keeper changes online became an instantaneous thing I assumed they had gotten rid of this special "not taxed keeper change" status

as I know now when you do a keeper change online the new V5c in your name is issued instantaneously and the vehicle tax/SORN if it has any is cancelled instantly but back dated from the point the new owner became the keeper of the vehicle (and if applicable any remaining tax is refunded to the previous keeper)

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 21.31.47.png

so I thought they had gotten rid of the special status above, since everything happens instantaneously  however the instaint keeper change thing happened post DVLA update, so I technically had no way to verify, if the "not taxed keeper change" thing had vanished, or had simply vanished from public view

however going by your info it looks like its very much still a thing, that we just dont normally see it now due to the DVLA updating the public facing tool to pull its data from elsewhere

however clearly it looks like the whole tax/SORN vehicle interface still pulls its data from the old places!

and I do know from experience that back in the day when the status "not taxed keeper change" appeared, the 11 digit for the previous V5c would stop working, so I guess that back in the day when they issued the new V5c into the new keepers name

I appreciate the heads up on this little DVLA tidbit as it answered some lingering questions of mine :) 

• Like 3

What Can I Do List

The plan for the Vauxhall Collection is to assess what we have. I am hoping the manta 1.9 Auto, Custard Cavalier, Carlton, Bedford CF2 will start.

Custard the Cavalier has a stuck brake that could do with releasing. Parts were just slung in these cars and mixed up so it would be good to empty them all and reunite the correct bits with each car.

Getting the cars cleaned up would be great as I want to photograph all the cars.

At the end of the weekend I have a roll of black plastic and would like to sheet them down against the weather.

Manta - 1.9 Auto Coupe S1 Berlinetta  – 1.8 Berlinetta Hatch – Hatch grass track car

Cavalier 1.6GL saloon MK1 X 2

Carlton GL 1.8i

Royale saloon

CF2 Diesel Recovery Truck

• Like 4

What if Dead Vauxhalls are not Your Thing?

If dead Vauxhalls are not your thing then there are some other car jobs:

Fit new header tank to Lancia Trevi

Check the parts I have for the Toledo

Rust killer on Toledo

Rust killer on C15 van

JCD hydraulic filter

Hayter Mower fit cutter plate, start and run

Cut the grass in the orchards with ride on mower

Work on you own car

Of course if sitting in a chair and drinking tea is best for you that is welcomed.

Mow the orchard grass using our ride in mower

Prepare wood for Saturday Evening fire

Range Rover green – Check why not starting

3 ton dumper  - Pull the cylinder heads off to check what is seized

Jinling - chain lube

Honda 50cc – start and make it run so you can ride it

Bikes Direct 125cc – Get started, refit and bodge exhaust back on

Range Rover blue – bolt on height adjustable tow ball bracket

Timmy Trailer - Fit hand winch

Boat trailer – Replace strap winch

• Like 3

The Field of Dreams (FoD) is our small holding and while separated by a mile is an extension of our home

For those who have not been before the facilities on site are just a field with a composting toilet and mains water

All forms of camping are welcome

We have a large enclosed fire basket for an evening (if you have wood to dispose of then bring it along, not chip board)

Shops and takeaways are 3 miles away

Pets welcomed

Children welcomed

PM me for joining instructions.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, bangernomics said:

Does AUTODOC FR have them? Mrs B has caught the ferry over this morning so quite literally that opportunity has sailed, but I will be over in early October if you want anything bringing over without the international postage nonsense.

AUTODOC UK say they have discs for the Peugeot 504 2.0i Cab so I have ordered them and they have emailed me an order acknowledgement. Quite expensive so we will see if they arrive.

Autodoc are more expensive than some others, they list them at £19.20 each, on the invoice they are £18.39 each + £8.45 P&P +£3.95 fuss free return fee. Fingers crossed they are right but with limited confidence I wanted to be able to return them.

z AutoDoc order for discs 17-8-21.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 21/22 August Field of Dreams weekend, what if Vauxhalls aren't my thing!
5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

What if Dead Vauxhalls are not Your Thing?

If dead Vauxhalls are not your thing then there are some other car jobs:

Fit new header tank to Lancia Trevi

Check the parts I have for the Toledo

Rust killer on Toledo

Rust killer on C15 van

JCD hydraulic filter

Hayter Mower fit cutter plate, start and run

Cut the grass in the orchards with ride on mower

Work on you own car

Of course if sitting in a chair and drinking tea is best for you that is welcomed.

Mow the orchard grass using our ride in mower

Crikey, how fast does your grass grow if you have to mow it twice in a weekend? :-P

• Haha 3

Forecast now looking slightly less promising for Sunday - although at the moment they seem incapable of accurately forecasting the weather more than about 2 hours in advance so it could all change again yet...

6 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

We have a large enclosed fire basket

The place we camped at last week had amazing fire baskets - they were made from car wheels with three legs welded on (like a BBQ)

zxcvIDeuYQR6E0xTZLu-IRChp8NgvL4GEysc3whk1Xhfpg8o16BOrabRbHm5rgvAVzKLdBzu7gC7ui8Pn_9ETn1fv6C4B915cp5CBiLlRMRTT9lHFtiTHAfD6bYYsQJuiZBD7lAWCV9XJUnGdhI059-rdEJzoWw18Y52G1JvLhSuSL6ssO1CGG2jqgs3x0F0xGoyl_gUuvGUP1_JVaGhVBaEPbnQUs9Q2oPoHy_JvHkEvw9qEP9U7rGkUdVLEN6BdOPDxRAbee1FvxjjrYFEpkZrNgsDZjIPziAde8qOL2ReeixYCeE0UIhrV1sJ2jB5T3Muwdf0D6tRK-9-Bnp8d8P6cOLojdfKBmNoeXfou3AZ4UPPv6BZqXkfhg5gF9XAMGqPPpscz6IsyYfK8mkHkPQHKVjQPuzE1EaeVlkETX_nWGmtd2D9KcFv8cM_bDqh_yqGuru53wUEH_QQ7kfo0Fr6mNk47QFxoclEs2ntbnjo5DGpreMQBfFEiazbnrwiORgtdulLFaexDE3laAH1_rcqRamdIizvg3We7VkiGXQMiC9LnfK8wCr8UKi_p3SmWPLNT-b0FyW7ziDguPM9EYrQQrd0vVgaOvMn6U8c6Wi0KRxCEJ_KZ4JAZ6dHVNj3rO5muJQ4eqWK9mTZDsqyzLh2ibTZaftO-9rZUQBwkaF7ao4aTb33NmizJo9Zo2_0OlFAn23BJSieeCjThckBaJyh9w=w525-h700-no?authuser=0

You should get one or two of these made up! Maybe even a spare Vauxhall wheel!

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The place we camped at last week had amazing fire baskets - they were made from car wheels with three legs welded on (like a BBQ)

zxcvIDeuYQR6E0xTZLu-IRChp8NgvL4GEysc3whk1Xhfpg8o16BOrabRbHm5rgvAVzKLdBzu7gC7ui8Pn_9ETn1fv6C4B915cp5CBiLlRMRTT9lHFtiTHAfD6bYYsQJuiZBD7lAWCV9XJUnGdhI059-rdEJzoWw18Y52G1JvLhSuSL6ssO1CGG2jqgs3x0F0xGoyl_gUuvGUP1_JVaGhVBaEPbnQUs9Q2oPoHy_JvHkEvw9qEP9U7rGkUdVLEN6BdOPDxRAbee1FvxjjrYFEpkZrNgsDZjIPziAde8qOL2ReeixYCeE0UIhrV1sJ2jB5T3Muwdf0D6tRK-9-Bnp8d8P6cOLojdfKBmNoeXfou3AZ4UPPv6BZqXkfhg5gF9XAMGqPPpscz6IsyYfK8mkHkPQHKVjQPuzE1EaeVlkETX_nWGmtd2D9KcFv8cM_bDqh_yqGuru53wUEH_QQ7kfo0Fr6mNk47QFxoclEs2ntbnjo5DGpreMQBfFEiazbnrwiORgtdulLFaexDE3laAH1_rcqRamdIizvg3We7VkiGXQMiC9LnfK8wCr8UKi_p3SmWPLNT-b0FyW7ziDguPM9EYrQQrd0vVgaOvMn6U8c6Wi0KRxCEJ_KZ4JAZ6dHVNj3rO5muJQ4eqWK9mTZDsqyzLh2ibTZaftO-9rZUQBwkaF7ao4aTb33NmizJo9Zo2_0OlFAn23BJSieeCjThckBaJyh9w=w525-h700-no?authuser=0

You should get one or two of these made up! Maybe even a spare Vauxhall wheel!

Washing machine drums with 3 steel angle legs work brilliant as a fire pit. Great ventilation throughout the fire, you can have the drum glowing orange without much effort. 

• Like 2

SHITELY REQUEST...

I have bought a tent from Decathlon in Stockport and was aiming to collect today.  Due to a grievance appeal hearing over-running I was unable to do that, and @alcyonecorporation (who lives just around the corner) has very kindly agreed to pick it up for me this evening.  

Would anyone from THE NORTH visiting the FoD on Saturday be able to collect it from Jon and bring it down?  Thanks 🙂

23 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

This is ours and was selected because it omits very few sparks that could set the grass on fire.

P1130068 broad.jpg

It's also large enough that a dozen shiters can sit round it singing My Lovely Horse and still keep the chill off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's also large enough that a dozen shiters can sit round it singing My Lovely Horse and still keep the chill off.

How would you know this!

In shock news Six-cylinder sells a car! 

Bought last December to try a Beetle out and I found it lovely, but I just can't keep everything. When an interest was expressed in it I let it go. It is staying on the Forum, but you will have to wait for the new owner to reveal themselves.

IMG_20210817_143404 broad.jpg