Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - what date should the next FoD be?

Six-cylinder

Hope those sexy gl caps are in the boot still. 

Ohh and it needs the little eather wire from the head to the alternator. I stole that off it that day we took the carlton estate for the MOT!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

1.8i, it was close to being back on the road after a top end strip down and rebuild due to clagged up lifters, causing a running issue when i owned it, i wanted rid asap and as ian loved that carlton when i had it,  it went to him. 

A presumption on my part, a friend in Scotland is fond if the OHC engines in A Series, he would get complete cars from a scrappie he worked in.

The 2.0i is the bestest Carlton engine in 4 banger form. The only 1.8 I had was a mk2 estate, but the mk3 definitely struggled with the 1.8  engine weight wise. Shame I don’t have many spares for Carltons anymore, else they’d all be getting boxed up right now! 

33 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Do you imagine the main field will have been cut for the FoD weekend?

I don't think so, the sheep were on until late and the grass is not really ready.

22 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Andyrew also played a major part getting it back on the road and ianbmw was also involved.

Indeed.  I was simply one part of a team that took it from grotty, tatty and broken to reasonably pleasant, not bad looking and running.  I doubt I would have been able to do as well as Andyrew did with the clearcoat repair.

11 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A bit of a interruption to Vauxhall licking this weekend as it is the Citroen DS Rally.

IMG_20210807_170313 broad.jpg

First time I’ve not been in quite a while, but mum and dad were over after visiting my sister’s family last week.

11 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

A bit of a interruption to Vauxhall licking this weekend as it is the Citroen DS Rally.

IMG_20210807_170313 broad.jpg

My friend Simon was there, spending much of yesterday changing the starter motor on his bright green '66 Portuguese-assembled DS21.

• Like 1

I need to think about my camping arrangements. I will be there overnight but I point blank refuse to do tenting, maybe I will steal dad's Landy and stick an air mattress in the boot! #CamperConversionM8

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I need to think about my camping arrangements. I will be there overnight but I point blank refuse to do tenting, maybe I will steal dad's Landy and stick an air mattress in the boot! #CamperConversionM8

Rooftent for extra OLLI points.

2 hours ago, Crackers said:

Sleep on the back seat of your car, it's more comfortable and possible than you think. 

If the Civic isn't MOTd (and I doubt it will be) then I'll be sleeping on the back seat of my R8, something I've been doing comfortably as long as I've been driving. 

I once slept on the back seat of my S3 XJ after going to a house party the night before, woke up the next morning and drove to Chumley... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Sleep on the back seat of your car, it's more comfortable and possible than you think. 

I've got my eye on something currently that might make that somewhat tricky owing to a distinct lack of rear seats.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I've got my eye on something currently that might make that somewhat tricky owing to a distinct lack of rear seats.

And before someone pipes up no it's not fucking made of blue plastic nor is it 1 wheel short of a proper car! ;) 

I tried sleeping on the back seat of a Volvo V70 at Bilbao car ferry docks……. Never again. Worst nights sleep ever (apart from trying to sleep across the front seat of a vivaro van).

3 hours ago, Crackers said:

Air mattress in the Mercedes for me I think.

So you buy 8 project cars one day and 2 days later you are offered another what should you do!

Of course you have to buy it. 

I have always admired Richard Morris's Mercedes 320CE and had discussed I would be interested when he was ready to sell it, the day just came sooner than I expected.

The problem with me the car is one of the rear subframe mounting is badly rusted and all the bushes are shot. Quite a big job but considering how good the rest of the car is well worth having it repaired properly. Plans are afoot..........

Mercdes 320CE broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 21/22 August Field of Dreams weekend, The Vauxhall Collection!

Now it's Monday and Citroens were so yesterday!

Vauxhalls is where it is at. I can't wait for FoD and a clean and investigation of the ones I have bought from the collection.

IMG_20210808_112607 broad.jpg

IMG_20210619_122032 broad.jpg

Cars lined up to collect without GTE v2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Talbot said:

World's worst attempt at hiding by me there...

Blame @Andyrewhe made the Carlton so shiny it became a mirror.

It is currently sheeted over in indoor storage but I will get it out for FoD and it will need exercising.

On 07/08/2021 at 16:41, Slowsilver said:

Bekoing (verb): To attack a hopeless pile of junk with a vacuum and a wash bucket that everyone else has run away screaming from and make it shiny again.

oo look another one

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hairnet said:

Bekoing is surely buy a 99 quid shitter and hoovering it so it's worth 125??

Joke Sam honest 😛

@Six-cylinder if that's all that's wrong then why not if it drops out easily enough

Depends how much change gets sucked up, could be a significant devaluation! 

• Haha 3