Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

I used to really like the small pickups. Seemed most manufacturers did one at one time..

Those 4x4 that seem to be made for angry little men.. what's the point? If you want a load bed that high up, you may as well put a roof rack on a car.

10 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Looks like a Range Rover compared to the press launch of the Sinclair C5.

My Dad and Sir Clive Sinclair rode them down Orpington High Street many years ago on some sort of promotion. He says that it was terrifying!  

I still keep looking at them on Ebay though!

On 27/02/2022 at 14:27, Sham said:

I used to really like the small pickups. Seemed most manufacturers did one at one time..

Those 4x4 that seem to be made for angry little men.. what's the point? If you want a load bed that high up, you may as well put a roof rack on a car.

I wonder why normal pick ups have died out? 

All the builder's merchants seem to deliver these days, maybe that's why there is less demand for a car that will carry a ton bag of sand? 

The trend for Rangers and Hiluxes as company "vans" as a tax dodge seems to be dying off. Has that loophole been closed? 

I wonder why normal pick ups have died out? 
All the builder's merchants seem to deliver these days, maybe that's why there is less demand for a car that will carry a ton bag of sand? 
The trend for Rangers and Hiluxes as company "vans" as a tax dodge seems to be dying off. Has that loophole been closed? 
Emissions has done in most of them, I think only hilux , izuzi and ssangyong the only current ones , Ranger on old stock only and considering returning with the new version , as far as the tax dodge I think people have got fed up bouncing around at 25mpg when really a nice SUV would be better suited for their family.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

On 2/27/2022 at 11:53 AM, Snake Charmer said:

Inspiration?

4125404334_8e5c233cef_b.thumb.jpg.9b3e00dd3fd8b58dc1ec18108f45fa7b.jpg

Epic; they've based it on a Metro too.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:18 AM, Snake Charmer said:

The way they've made it look about the same height as the axle of the HGV that's about to rear-end them and spin them under the wheels of the routemaster is an interesting reversal of the usual gigantism employed by advertising execs. It also looks like both occupants are double amputees, which they probably would be in a front-end crunch.

16 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Actually, I've been watching a lot of Edds Auto Reviews recently and I've learned loads of new American automotive terms. A really good YT channel. 

I really liked the "Malaise Era" series. 

😎👍

Goes along with the fact you can still buy vinyl landau bar looking stickers.

Classy.

1 hour ago, georgeinabz said:

A yank tuned Horizon , would have been interesting to have seen over here0e7f65148d6fba920ee2da528a208a41.jpg

The Dodge Omni, which that Shelby is a variant of, isn't actually a Talbot Horizon.  But it also is, in typical Chrysler fashion.  In the seventies American Chrysler needed a small car to replace their Hillman Avenger captive import, which had been sold in the States as the Plymouth Cricket, so looked to the European arm again.  They alighted on the then new Anglo-French Talbot/Simca/Chrysler Horizon and took the design back across the Atlantic. 

The car design underwent significant changes Stateside to federalise various bits and pieces, as well as fitment of conventional strut suspension at the front and a range of different engines including the American 2.2 that became the basis of the powerplant in the Shelby GLSH pictured.  The bodywork was altered in all sorts of ways to accommodate the American bits, which resulted in a car that was almost completely different to the European original yet looked almost exactly the same.  One has to wonder about corporate operations, sometimes.  

Could the Shelby have worked over here?  No reason it shouldn't have, other than that we've never taken to large displacement four cylinder engines and the lack of spares support for the 2.2.  The American Omni was also not engineered for RHD, presumably, as there was no reason to do so.  It's also likely that the car would have had to have been 'de-federalised', as we wouldn't have accepted certain of the US foibles, such as sealed beam headlights, the cars over there ended up with; such a process would have entailed making special bits for it, as the European Horizon body panels were changed to fit federal bumpers, meaning it would be unlikely that Euro type bumpers would bolt onto the American car.  

The Dodge Omni, which that Shelby is a variant of, isn't actually a Talbot Horizon.  But it also is, in typical Chrysler fashion.  In the seventies American Chrysler needed a small car to replace their Hillman Avenger captive import, which had been sold in the States as the Plymouth Cricket, so looked to the European arm again.  They alighted on the then new Anglo-French Talbot/Simca/Chrysler Horizon and took the design back across the Atlantic. 
The car design underwent significant changes Stateside to federalise various bits and pieces, as well as fitment of conventional strut suspension at the front and a range of different engines including the American 2.2 that became the basis of the powerplant in the Shelby GLSH pictured.  The bodywork was altered in all sorts of ways to accommodate the American bits, which resulted in a car that was almost completely different to the European original yet looked almost exactly the same.  One has to wonder about corporate operations, sometimes.  
Could the Shelby have worked over here?  No reason it shouldn't have, other than that we've never taken to large displacement four cylinder engines and the lack of spares support for the 2.2.  The American Omni was also not engineered for RHD, presumably, as there was no reason to do so.  It's also likely that the car would have had to have been 'de-federalised', as we wouldn't have accepted certain of the US foibles, such as sealed beam headlights, the cars over there ended up with; such a process would have entailed making special bits for it, as the European Horizon body panels were changed to fit federal bumpers, meaning it would be unlikely that Euro type bumpers would bolt onto the American car.  

Didn't know that , thanks at 175bhp I would imagine more torque steer than a fast saab along with some good old 80s turbo lag.

You're not wrong, horrific torque steer apparently as I remember a quote from a contemporary road test that "the accelerator functions as a lane-change switch". With typical American understatement, GLH allegedly stood for Goes Like Hell and the even quicker GLH-S was Goes Like Hell - Some More!

21 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

And I bet they removed the tick tick of the tappets. They can't leave anything alone.