The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

20 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

I had stuck with Shoei fron the 80's as Arai seemed to be a narrower fit and too tight for me. l needed a new lid in 2007 and all the Shoei I tried were loose so I tried an Arai, perfect fit. The only reason I can explain the change in fit is I developed Multiple Myeloma and thanks to early diagnosis my skull is the only area showing the effects and the shape has changed.

they used to have one shell shape for a long time only the inside dictated the fit - might not have been you they dont change it that often

only on the very modern stuff is there choice of shell sizes - i was looking at quartic (?) (not allegro not square) and it said there was 3 shells for them

The irony is that the missis delivers pasty’s for a living and it her bike really 
Well that’s how I justified adding another bike to the fleet.
How far does she travel, and is it like a 24/7 service kind of thing?!
Never know when you might need an emergency pasty!

On 1/22/2022 at 1:44 PM, hairnet said:

all you hardened bikers out there (and billy) :D

would you buy the arai

saw them at first and was wary about the vent

but then saw this video and it answered questions :D

the shoei made me lol wont be buying one of those

saw arai on ebay for 100+ less than they should be and its not ex display

trigger might get pulled - can never have enough right :D

this is the one i saw - dont usually buy painted lids but i like this - have also seen a base brown one which wasnt horrible but the blue looks better

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224643362150?hash=item344dc9ad66:g:KgoAAOSwtk5hZA3e

My Condor is the best fitting helmet I have ever owned bar none.

2 hours ago, tom13 said:

My Condor is the best fitting helmet I have ever owned bar none.

had condor previously also rv sv chaser quantum profile xd debut that needs to be unboxed :D

almost buying a quantic as trip got cancelled but its likely to be the rapide i posted earlier

23 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

I’ve begun to clear through the clutter in my garage and found enough bits left over from a previous rebuild to put this together.

There should be enough there to get a dating certificate and apply for a V5. I can then have a play with the engine and see what happens.

A446DD76-86E1-4A83-A786-9CF8A83D0E2C.jpeg

is that a Liege i spy next to the bike? a few good friends of mine have them too if so. :-)

1 hour ago, EML said:

Is this a Raleigh runabout, i like the look of that being bear bones

Very similar. It’s a Raleigh RM9 ultramatic, so has the telescopic front forks, a front drum brake and more powerful* variated engine. (Although in reality it’s a Mobylette, built under licence by Raleigh.)

On 1/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, Jenson Velcro said:

I’ve begun to clear through the clutter in my garage and found enough bits left over from a previous rebuild to put this together.

There should be enough there to get a dating certificate and apply for a V5. I can then have a play with the engine and see what happens.

A446DD76-86E1-4A83-A786-9CF8A83D0E2C.jpeg

I have had my mobylette for 4 years now and every year I say I must get it back on the road. If you can do it, then so can I...

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

I have had my mobylette for 4 years now and every year I say I must get it back on the road. If you can do it, then so can I...

Mine won’t be the fastest of builds, it will have to fit in around other things. I also need to make sure I can get it registered ok before investing much more time and money into it.

Is your Mobylette, the one shown in your avatar. If so, it doesn’t look like it needs much to get it back on the road.

3 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Is your Mobylette, the one shown in your avatar. If so, it doesn’t look like it needs much to get it back on the road.

Yes it is. It's from 1962. I put a new clutch on it and had it sort of running. I have just got a brand new carburettor for it and hope that sorts out the trouble. It needs the lights re wiring as the 60 year old wires are stiff and perished. However I think I'll only use it in the day time as the original headlight is rated at a massive 5watts! Have thought about getting cycle LED light for it, they seem as bright as a cars headlights? 

Where do you lot buy bike tyres from?

I need a rear for my TMax, its a bit of a weird size 160/60 15. 

Finding I can get Pirelli Diablo for £95 from mytyres.co.uk or Michelin Pilot Power scooter tyres for £101 from Demon Tweeks.

Not terrible although would obviously like to pay less if possible, would just like to check other sites before ordering.

Just need a tyre, will fit myself with tyre levers etc as am a masochist