The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Just been looking through some pictures I had saved and thought I would post these two amazing creations. 

TPs's RM125 which just looks phenomenal.

The second was featured in Sideburn a few months back. Can't remember the builder but it looks such a nice ride. The attention to detail is great. I always used to ride Bianchi bicycles so I have fond memories of the brand even though this isn't one.

TP.jpg

Bianchi.jpg

bianchi 3.jpg

bianchi 2.jpg

Guzzi tyres. The works BMW K1300S's were fitted with Metzler MP7RR's, which were fantastic in the dry and wet, and gripped well on damp roads too.

When the tyres (Contis) wore out on my Guzzi V1200 Sport, I put a pair of Metzler MP7RR's on, because of my experiences on the BMW, just before I set off to Albania.

Useless, absolutely useless. Even after 1000 miles, they would spin up acellerating out of corners in the dry. The Guzzi had far less power than the BMW.

I'd look on a few Guzzi websites to see what tyres are NOT recommended. Not all tyres suit different bikes, as I found out. Ruined my 6000 mile trip, as never confident on those tyres.

50 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Guzzi tyres. The works BMW K1300S's were fitted with Metzler MP7RR's, which were fantastic in the dry and wet, and gripped well on damp roads too.

When the tyres (Contis) wore out on my Guzzi V1200 Sport, I put a pair of Metzler MP7RR's on, because of my experiences on the BMW, just before I set off to Albania.

Useless, absolutely useless. Even after 1000 miles, they would spin up acellerating out of corners in the dry. The Guzzi had far less power than the BMW.

I'd look on a few Guzzi websites to see what tyres are NOT recommended. Not all tyres suit different bikes, as I found out. Ruined my 6000 mile trip, as never confident on those tyres.

The hot tip when I had my Moto Guzzi Le Mans 11 were Pirelli Phantoms. How the world, and tyre technology, has changed. 
On the work FJRs Michelin Road Pilots were brilliant except for the 4 which just didn’t work on that bike. The 5 was great again. 🤷🏻‍♂️

SS50 is seemingly throwing oil out of the exhaust stud area. Garage said it looks like someone has heli-coiled the studs, over done it and put Steel Seal in.  Managed to find a C70 engine not too far away, so dropped it off and just waiting for a new gasket set so they can put the top end onto the SS engine. Didn't really want to modify it as such, but it was a common thing back in the day and will still look standard and might even go more than 35mph now!

Meanwhile, finally got the RS50 back from another garage, carb cleaned, bike given a once over and taken for an MOT, which it passed. Obvs like it's started being shit to start/run so need to get it on the road and thrash the tits off it. It doesn't half go just in 1st gear, so expecting to card a decent speed using GPS. Here it is with it's older cousin, a Derbi GPR 50 that uses the same engine, apparently. Another one that was MOT'd and never really used that needs a good Italian tune up.

May be an image of motorcycle, outdoors and brick wall

wanted to go out to check battery voltage in the bike as even tho its used everyday sometimes it would crank over once slowly like it was flat then start

so bought a new varta anyway but due to arm and side mobility issues

wont be - dont really wanna open garage door

ffs

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

SS50 is seemingly throwing oil out of the exhaust stud area. Garage said it looks like someone has heli-coiled the studs, over done it and put Steel Seal in.  Managed to find a C70 engine not too far away, so dropped it off and just waiting for a new gasket set so they can put the top end onto the SS engine. Didn't really want to modify it as such, but it was a common thing back in the day and will still look standard and might even go more than 35mph now!

Meanwhile, finally got the RS50 back from another garage, carb cleaned, bike given a once over and taken for an MOT, which it passed. Obvs like it's started being shit to start/run so need to get it on the road and thrash the tits off it. It doesn't half go just in 1st gear, so expecting to card a decent speed using GPS. Here it is with it's older cousin, a Derbi GPR 50 that uses the same engine, apparently. Another one that was MOT'd and never really used that needs a good Italian tune up.

I do like those race rep 50's, and luckily a few kids here have them, and race from one end of town to the other a few times a day.

No such exotica when I was 16, Fizzies, AP50's and SS50's were normal, and only the Fantics seemed to be that bit classier.

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I do like those race rep 50's, and luckily a few kids here have them, and race from one end of town to the other a few times a day.

No such exotica when I was 16, Fizzies, AP50's and SS50's were normal, and only the Fantics seemed to be that bit classier.

There seemed to be a bit of a lull in interesting 50cc bikes from the late 1970s for a while, then these sort of things came out and jazzed up the market. Although a few modern small bikes (including quite a few Chinese ones) look great, the end of 2T stuff sort of made life a bit dull, imho.

Got to sell my 2001 Cagiva Mito 125 as the reality is there is no way to register it here in Spain. It's the full 33bhp  (so not legal for anyone on L plates), had a ground up restoration 5 or 6 years ago, and has done around 600 miles since then, being kept in my heated garage for four years.

£2000, bike is in Essex (I am not).20191231_140154.thumb.jpg.b87114aac85a44192ba4fc0bb44b3568.jpg687271507_2016-07-1910_42.45-1.thumb.jpg.d0be9598ce5597828f91178a6f5d5ad5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Got to sell my 2001 Cagiva Mito 125 as the reality is there is no way to register it here in Spain. It's the full 33bhp  (so not legal for anyone on L plates), had a ground up restoration 5 or 6 years ago, and has done around 600 miles since then, being kept in my heated garage for four years.

£2000, bike is in Essex (I am not).20191231_140154.thumb.jpg.b87114aac85a44192ba4fc0bb44b3568.jpg687271507_2016-07-1910_42.45-1.thumb.jpg.d0be9598ce5597828f91178a6f5d5ad5.jpg

Lush, but I'm to old and fat to squeeze into that riding position now ☹️😂

2 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Lush, but I'm to old and fat to squeeze into that riding position now ☹️😂

I'm 63, with the figure of a darts player, and it was fine for me. Decent stretch to the clipons, and foot pegs not too high. Actually felt physically large compared to, say, a CG125

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

£2000, bike is in Essex (I am not).

Jesus wept, that's lovely.

This has given a bit of grief since arriving...

May be an image of motorcycle and text that says "50 YAMAHA"

..never really ran right, so carb cleaned twice and finally a re-jet has got it better, but not perfect. A ridiculously cheap new chrome 'power' pipe is next to be fitted, the garage are going to make a bracket for it as it didn't come with one. Was seriously tempted to put the wheels from this onto the FS1, and have bought some RD50MX ones to replace these, but will probably end up looking crap, so will maybe leave things as they are.  Didn't really originally plan on having another Yamaha 50, but these are such nice looking things (imho) that it had to be done.

3 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Thanks, now 17 year old me has had a trouser accident as well

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

This has given a bit of grief since arriving...

May be an image of motorcycle and text that says "50 YAMAHA"

..never really ran right, so carb cleaned twice and finally a re-jet has got it better, but not perfect. A ridiculously cheap new chrome 'power' pipe is next to be fitted, the garage are going to make a bracket for it as it didn't come with one. Was seriously tempted to put the wheels from this onto the FS1, and have bought some RD50MX ones to replace these, but will probably end up looking crap, so will maybe leave things as they are.  Didn't really originally plan on having another Yamaha 50, but these are such nice looking things (imho) that it had to be done.

I would love to have a collection of 70's and 80'c mopeds. Some had all the right dimensions and looked great.

My great-nephew has a 1990 something Aprilia Extrema 50cc that was really quick. He took it to bits to store in his mums attic, as "when I'm 40 I can relive my youth on the bike I spent my youth on".

Wish I had done that.

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I would love to have a collection of 70's and 80'c mopeds. Some had all the right dimensions and looked great.

My great-nephew has a 1990 something Aprilia Extrema 50cc that was really quick. He took it to bits to store in his mums attic, as "when I'm 40 I can relive my youth on the bike I spent my youth on".

Wish I had done that.

It's good fun if you don't want to go very fast*. Wouldn't mind a go at Le Jog on a 50 one year, ideally the SS just for a laugh.  

This isn't all of them and the Yamaha looks very different now. The MBX50 is hysterically ponderous, typical Honda 2T whereby all the 'power' lasts for about 4 seconds in each gear before you scream up flat out 'til the next one, then run out of steam just over 30-ish MPH. 

3 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

It's good fun if you don't want to go very fast*. Wouldn't mind a go at Le Jog on a 50 one year, ideally the SS just for a laugh.  

This isn't all of them and the Yamaha looks very different now. The MBX50 is hysterically ponderous, typical Honda 2T whereby all the 'power' lasts for about 4 seconds in each gear before you scream up flat out 'til the next one, then run out of steam just over 30-ish MPH. 

Having ridden a 125cc twist'n go scooter to Czechia, flat out 90% of the way there and back, I say do the Le Jog. Could be fun, or Hell!

I had a Honda MTX (?) 50 that I fitted an HA100 engine into. It was a complete abortion, but even so, someone stole it off of my driveway.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, Jerzy Woking said:

PM incoming

On 2/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, Cavcraft said:

You can never have too many mopeds.

image.thumb.png.114157d3a575b730231bb819316539fb.png

On 2/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, Cavcraft said:

Does the SS have standard gearing? Mine had something like a 10t front sprocket in standard trim. 

1 hour ago, Snake Charmer said:

Does the SS have standard gearing? Mine had something like a 10t front sprocket in standard trim. 

Probably, it looks as standard as it should be (the whole bike, that is) save for repro exhaust etc. It does have some issues so probably not as 'fast' as it should be, but it's sodding miles off even a restricted  FS1. 

Sons bike just gained an MOT. Last on the road in 2017 when the last MOT expired. The nipper that had it lost interest and bought a car. 

New tyres, exhaust, brakes front and rear. New master cylinder, new complete front suspension system ( single sided) new rear shock and a pass with no advisories. My son is beaming. And I have saved a classic* 2 stroke 😁

IMG-20190910-WA0006.jpeg