Wheeler Dealers... WTF

Bobthebeard

Apologies if this has been done before, but WTF is it all about? They buy a motah for £X, spend ages tarting it up, drive miles for parts then sell it for a tenner more than they got it for.....

Is it me? Don't get it!

Is that good for ratings on TV or just pooh tv?

It's A bit pooh Bob, but I have to admit its kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. The buying and selling bit is a bit annoying but I like seeing Ed doing the work.

It's better than chop shop for sure, but nothing touches pimp my ride for scripted entertainment!

I particularly like how they bought a new differential for a Spitfire that had worn its seals out, rather than just place the seals.

I bet they get everything at ridiculously low prices that we mere mortals can only dream of.

Great picture! It's not even a guilty pleasure of mine, I'm totally willing to admit that I really like the show. Funny how the seasons progress and they get more and more money to throw about, no more rattle can resprays on Capris these days. Notice how Edd's time and endless supply of workshop equipment doesn't wind up in the final analysis though.

ISTR that it isn't Edd that really does the work?

That's a great photo, Trig - because you're in the middle, it looks like those two have rocked up to ask for a pic with you.

It's a great programme and I don't understand the slating it gets here and elsewhere. The buying, selling and accountancy is about as realistic as a before/after on a makeup advert, but I don't tune in to watch Mike reading the 2012/13 Tax Guide and filling out his VAT returns. I'm just overjoyed there's ANY programme on TV featuring someone replacing the diff on a Triumph Spitfire. A popular one too!

The only thing I really hate about it is the lengthy recaps after the breaks.

I really enjoy watching WD, It followed on nicely from the Deals on Wheels series back in the day.

Here's me and my mate trying to tower over Edd and just failing :lol:

IMG00181-20111113-1510.jpg

From what I have heard via the Renault Alpine Club there is a "real" Edd these days and Mr China and Mike just turn up for the filming. Still love the programme though.

Not seen the latest series but on the whole the previous ones have been really enjoyable. Yes, there was always that cloud of whether they did/not actually sell the cars at the end, but it was still mostly enjoyable and they did give the odd interesting tip out.

Bugger, I didn't realise they had another series out until I just caught the start of the Mk2 jag episode. Was that the first one of the new series?

I like it, despite MB's rather dreadful rambling on at times. Good harmless car related entertainment.

As for a "real Edd" that would be Paul, he does most the behind the scenes stuff.

I'm still amazed that one half of the chuckle brothers does wheeler dealers!!!

I had never watched wheeler dealers until last week and its not to bad, that tall chap seems a bit overly fussy though and i dont think ive seen them make a profit yet :lol:

How many different garages have they got then?

I love it... and strangely the missus likes it too... If she's in a particularly good mood of a sunday morning she wakes me up with a bacon roll and wheeler dealers on the telly. Happy days.

I do miss the old under a grand turn it around jobs though - they were much more interesting - it always baffles me when theyre supposedly doing a car up to sell for profit that theyll waste money on things like sticking a phone kit in or buying a cd player.

I've watched a couple of specific episodes on You Tube (the one where they did up a Saab 900T16 being a particular favourite.:D) but I've never see it on telly. Am I right in thinking it's only on Sky/Virgin etc, which I refuse to pay for.

A million times better than everything else on the telly. Worst bit is the buying/selling part. I hate the way they have synthesised rock/techno music throughout every single 'documentary' on TV now, but I don't think this has it?

I'm thinking of pitching an idea for a new show that combines the best bits of Wheeler Dealers, i.e the restoration bit and combines it with my other favourite program, Babestation. All you have to do is ring a premium rate phone number and one of a bevvy of blonde beauties from the Sunday Sport roadshow will either attack a mk1 Capri strut top mount with an angle grinder or remove various bits of PPE. To encourage punters to call in they can dry hump an air wrench whilst waggling a Nokia seductively.

I'm going to call it Baberestoration.

Could this be insider knowledge?

Wait six months and this WILL be on Discovery Channel! :shock:

Can't wait to hear Mike Brewers chat up lines though...

I guess im in the minority but I don't really like it. I can't get past the whole free labour thing and the short fat one goes on about making a tidy profit on a car sale when it reality it always costs them money. I know it's done that way for tv and I suppose I shouldn't take it seriously but I can't so there.

I much prefer the series where those chaps are restoring one particular car, or building a kit car etc.

The majority of this stuff is on pay tv and Discovery now have a dedicated car channel showing it all the time. You pay your money, you take your choice and all that Jazz.

You are not in a minority IMHO! Hence the WTF part of the thread.....

What was that show with a bloke (Tony? Tommy?) building a kit car?

Someone put boot polish on the inside of his safety goggles and when he took them off he spent the rest of the programme looking like a startled Panda.... Class!

IIRC they punt the show as rescuing and repairing unloved classic cars. If they make profit thats fine but I don't think the point of the show is to make money (any profit will be sharply eroded by Brewers Battenberg and Dr Pepper addiction) but they do purport have a go.

I do feel that they replace stuff too easily when it could probably be repaired but I suppose with less financial limitations I would simply replace everything too rather than lashing headgaskets together with cable ties, filling gearboxes with bicylcle tyres and jelly, and padding out the bodywork it with sawdust and banana skins etc etc......

But it quite good entertainment and can be quite informative for the less mechanically adept of us.

Hmmmm.....

filling gearboxes with bicylcle tyres and jelly, and padding out the bodywork with sawdust and banana skins etc etc......

I bought that car on eBay last year..... :roll:

Hmmmm.....

filling gearboxes with bicylcle tyres and jelly, and padding out the bodywork with sawdust and banana skins etc etc......

I bought that car on eBay last year..... :roll:

You are a Quentin Blake illustration and I claim my share of D701 SWL.