Scottish Motor Show 1985

Spiny Norman

Since it was mentioned in another thread I thought some of you might like to see a few snaps I took at the Motor Show in 1985.

I think it must have been one of the first events in the then new SECC, it had only been opened a few months at the time, and this was the first motor show since leaving the Kelvin Hall.

These would have been taken on my old Minolta 35mm SLR, hand held with no flash ( I HATE using flashguns!) and are on Fujichrome 100. I remember being quite impressed with how well they came out. Sorry there's no shite to speak of, the teenage me wasn't very interested in Talbot Solaras and Austin Maestros I'm afraid. :oops:

Spinning Granny

UI3KUl.jpg

Merc stand with new W124

DqsyEl.jpg

Main entrance hall with Porsche 962 on display.

wKVcul.jpg

Like I said, there are getting to be too damn many Volvo 700 estates about the place! :lol:

g7YbAl.jpg

Vauxhall stand with Cavalier Cabrio on left.

DoWgyl.jpg

Opel Manta

XCGHKl.jpg

Opel Monza dash. Real Space age stuff in 1985!

CVWrUl.jpg

BMW stand, all red.

GYVfQl.jpg

More Ovlovs..

yd9nql.jpg

Rally Skidder.

HMci9l.jpg

Splitty Minor

nggH1l.jpg

Delta

XXV4il.jpg

Lambo stand. I may have leaked some man juice while gazing at this pair..... :oops:

lGuWzl.jpg

Arty Countach pic.

SvPzNl.jpg

Porker 924

0jsf1l.jpg

Ford RS200

J9Dg9l.jpg

Blurry MG EXE concept on turntable.

xuR4sl.jpg

If you want to see a few more or bigger pics, the album's HERE. :D

Niice pics, how did you get theat distortion effect in the pic of the BMW stand?

Quite a few of them (BMW and Vauxhall stands, the main hall shot and the Manta) were taken with an ultra wide angle 'fisheye' lens. A 16mm focal length on a 35mm camera gives virtually 180 degrees of coverage and to hell with keeping straight lines straight! :lol:

WOWSERS!!

Great Pictures. My only motorshow experience of any kind was at the NEC in 1988. There was a VW Corrado stuck to a wall :? and I had brochures foisted on me by Seat and all I did was wonder why a car company was named after a chair...I wish I still had the official posters we got... the 88 of 1988 was incorporated into exhaust pipes. Make of that what you will.

Again, Ace pics 8)

That brings back memories of a similar motor show they used to have at the G-MEX in Manchester years ago. I remember bringing home several carrier bags full of brochures and various tat including those funny paper hats that "spiraled" to fit your bonce, happy days!

Top stuff - First one I managed to attend was in 1993/4.

(Still remember sitting in the Delta Integrale Evo on the Lancia stand - As well as the Audi RS2, which someone had pinched the gearknob from... :) )

Main entrance hall with Porsche 962 on display.

wKVcul.jpg

I'll don my anorak, and venture that this is an Ecurie Ecosse Ford C285... :mrgreen:

s1_1.jpg

Man alive, this show was the highlight of the year for me, especially in the late 80's and early 90s. Thanks for posting, they have brought back great memories for me. Countach was my dream car then. I had a poster of one on my wall and a 1/24 Polistil model of one which was unusual in not being fitted with a rear spoiler.

Cheers for all the kind words guys. :oops::D

I've got a few more, but they're just different shots of the same cars. (Film was expensive back in the days, not like now when you can batter off a few hundred shots at a time on a digi camera. This represents the best of what was on two rolls of expensive slide film) I'll stick 'em up later on when I'm back on the PC that's got them all stored on it.

I've also got some from the 1995 show I'll stick up as well. I'm pretty sure there's a SSang Yong Musso in that lot! :lol:

I'll don my anorak, and venture that this is an Ecurie Ecosse Ford C285... :mrgreen:

Then I shall I bow to your superior knowledge sir, I just assumed it would be a Rothmans-liveried Porsche.

Maybe at Earls Court or the NEC it would have been, the SMTA show was always a bit low rent..... :lol:

OK, the remains of all the slides I've scanned. Pretty much more of the same, but here goes. :D

Car park with Pisshat.

MaJwkl.jpg

More spinning Granny.

OXQIal.jpg

wD83yl.jpg

Ecurie Ecosse Ford C285. :wink:

AHVQkl.jpg

Vauxhall stand from above, with Astra and Cav on another turntable. I think they must have got a good price on turntables that year... :D

LnFTQl.jpg

Fisheye Manta.

dmbYxl.jpg

Vauxhall stand from ground level. Love the expressions on the faces of the two blokes just left of centre.... :lol:

aNDIGl.jpg

Salonen's 205 T16 rally car.

lihxCl.jpg

Another arty Countach shot.

yW4vYl.jpg

Porsche 944 Turbo

A8P8gl.jpg

Close up of RS200 rally car

RmvJCl.jpg

MG EXE. I can remember being well impressed by that car. As a kid more into the Lamborghinis, Porsches and rally cars etc, I thought it was just the sort of car MG should be making,

j2LIol.jpg

These photos are ace.

I was hoping I'd recognise stuff but I don't think I went to this one (I did get to the Glasgow Garden Festival, aged 9, though).

The BMW stand looks great with everything in red, I was in the local dealers this morning and it was a sea of silver and white.

That Porsche 944 still looks good, it could be a current car.

Great photos, brings back loads of memories.

I reckon the chap in the Manta is a bloke called John Falconer, wot I knew once upon a time. He was at that time, a Vauxhall salesman; what made the SMS of yore so good, was that almost all the stands were organised by dealers. So I wouldn't be surprised if it were him, as all the Scottish Dealer Group would pool resources and manpower. Vauxhall (and all the others presumably), used to send the hardware up from down south, and we'd have a hectic couple of days putting stands together and fitting cars on them.

The fettling time at night, to get the fingerprints off cars, and reinstate the stolen bits (badges and gearknobs were common, some other stuff was unbelievable!) was short and sharp. There was much bodgery, and crossed fingers that x,y, or z would be 'ok by the morning'.

Why all this? 'Cos the show was always timed to alternate years with the main UK/English show, whether Earls' Court or the NEC. The manufacturers took it very seriously, and were happy to have a bit of cross-border rivalry to fire it up a bit. There were launches, and concept car unveilings (and Leyland always tried hard to appeal to the hardcore Scots hauliers who bought their stuff anyway, given that the Albion factory wasn't far from the SECC), and we were damned if we were going to let it be seen as some diddy provincial show'n'shine.

Same applied to the Camping and Caravanning show, which was pretty much just as hard work.

Sadly, the promoters decided to change the format, sometime in the mid-90's, and cut out the dealers. All promotional staff were either head office marketing bods, or clueless dolly birds with a handful of leaflets. I've never been back since.

Oh, and by the way - I was at the Garden Festival twice. Both times invited to play me pipes, and I even got paid! (In luncheon vouchers. Remember them?) Good times, good times.

• 4 years later...