DVee8

2019 NEC Classic motor show 8-10 November

Can't make it this year but deffo going next for big birthday treat. Look out for the Pride of Ownership finalists - one of them is a M9 with a Hijet that he's done a stunning resto on. Do give him a vote if you think it's worth it/don't want any of the others to win.

12 hours ago, Three Speed said:

I’m going on Saturday. 
The NCP Airport Car Park 5 costs £9 of you use the promo code Classic19.

Thanks for that, I've booked this with the code. I've been to the show for the last 4-5  years helping on the 924oc stand, and as I've had an exhibitors pass I've stayed in the show as long as possible after the public leave, then popped to Whateverspoons for a coffee then slowly walked back to the car then headed out after they've stopped collecting money and left the barrier up, which is a bit of a waste of time but has saved a fortune. £9 is the more acceptable end of being ripped off for parking though so I thought I'd treat myself this year.

Blasted up the m5 to a B and B in the Cotswolds here. The shifting issue in the clk is still there when it’s cold (won’t shift up except manually) , when warm it’s fine and it was perfectly behaved on the motorway at all speeds. Summoning the motivation to drive up and mooch around the nec. 

ECE52869-5600-4564-9E87-EFF611CE5048.jpeg

95BF3D1D-E50D-48FA-B4F5-FB061111A8BB.jpeg

1 hour ago, ETCHY said:

Some great motors there, thanks for the pics.

Was that Consul GT the Sweeney one, the reg looked familiar?

Yes it certainly is the original Sweeney car. Its the first time it's been seen in public since 1989...following a long and rather convoluted restoration journey. 👍 

Going tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. Gonna make it my next radio show too so I’ll be armed with a GoPro, microphone and one of those stabilising arm things that HubNut has. So you know this counts as working...

3 hours ago, Braddon81 said:

Yes it certainly is the original Sweeney car. Its the first time it's been seen in public since 1989...following a long and rather convoluted restoration journey. 👍 

Excellent thanks for that.

It would be worth the price of admission to see that. What a blast from my childhood that is.

I'm really glad that's been saved. Think i'll now go watch a few clips of it in its heyday on Youtube !

Here it is

I put the Sweeney Consul back together over the past 4 years.  The customer had limited budget so it was only worked on as and when funds where available.  Restoration was started in about 2004 arriving with us as a repaired & painted shell ready for reassembly in 2016.

Metalwork wise it was a mess.  I've seen the pictures of it from 1989 and it was just a pile of rust.  After it was sold out of the Ford press fleet in the late 70s it went through various owners who used it as a normal car.  By 89 it was never going to pass another mot and if it wasn't for its history it would have been scrapped. 

Most of the exterior panels had to be replaced such as wings, bonnet, doors etc.  The inner shell of the car is mostly original with the exception of the boot floor and one of the front chassis legs as they were too far gone to be of any use.  

Mechanically it’s original and rebuilt.  I replaced the brake lines & a number of bushes/ancillaries but all the big stuff is original.

Exterior trim wise I saved as much as possible and replaced only the bumpers, lights & some of the door handles.

The wiring loom is original but overhauled/repaired

Interior trim again I saved as much as possible but did have to change the headliner and various small parts.  It still has its original door cards, glass, seats & carpet.

Was a real challenge to do.  If you replace the lot its not the original car and if you reuse everything you're told it looks crap and you haven't really bothered.  Difficult to find the right mix of original & new...

20160729_140345(0).thumb.jpg.e52c2cec80a1c97b54d73f9b9028ae4f.jpg20170619_172139.thumb.jpg.1637f10c3ed3f210ebb1533ffd403076.jpg20170626_150301.thumb.jpg.1405be310efd357c0068f8113b583508.jpg1768731589_TheWeeney.thumb.jpg.d05a97f7f3b1425253053b2973b0a5a7.jpg20170619_172207.thumb.jpg.3782b868f9a1b1a0dd69913373c9ba92.jpg20190607_113652.thumb.jpg.663b8062c464cdabadda96cedf07927b.jpg20191107_132845.thumb.jpg.4d84c8090bb0dde27329ef90fb4eceee.jpg20191107_155727.thumb.jpg.2c9a88065ac913cb88347f7a7666081b.jpg

Spent most of Thursday polishing it.  Nice to be able to finally talk about it!