1971 MGB GT - Delivery confirmed for tomorrow morning

Peter C

@Peter C.. "But, now I’m 50, I really appreciate the shape of a chrome bumper B GT and the amazing availability of parts makes them so easy to own".

LoL.. I'm 67 and facing the 'end of the road' (.. of financial viability of car ownership).

AVAS... Z18XER + 4 sp Slushie + ESTATE 😲

You just buy what you like M9...

🚙💨

• Like 3

Well bought 😉  I've rebuilt a good few of these now and have to say they are pretty easy to work on made much easier by being able to buy virtually everything of the shelf,  i still have the two I bought a few years back but God knows when I'll get round to tackling them.  

A good buy i think. I had a nose around it when it arrived Friday and thought it was very good value. I even took a pic!

IMG_20240913_151001.jpg.3b4082eed7be9b5e99c0c64cd755739f.jpg

MGB of the weekend for me was this winner wagon:

IMG_20240914_175236_HDR3.jpg.c3d5d49c6b4319af188a0342552d049e.jpg

It turned up towing a trailer to collect a lathe we'd sold from our stand!

@Surface Rust

How cool that you saw it too!

How deep and dirty did you get whilst looking at it? Looks alright, doesn't it? 

In your photo the B is parked next to Andy's stand, however by Saturday morning it had moved up about 25m to another stand, squeezed in between tables full of junk quality merchandise. 

1 minute ago, Peter C said:

@Surface Rust

How cool that you saw it too!

How deep and dirty did you get whilst looking at it? Looks alright, doesn't it? 

In your photo the B is parked next to Andy's stand, however by Saturday morning it had moved up about 25m to another stand, squeezed in between tables full of junk quality merchandise. 

Quite a quick look over, it seemed really honest though.

I sent the pic to a friend who has just spent more than the asking price having his B engine rebuilt. 

It wasn't appreciated!

• Like 2

Must be the ideal classic car. Very pretty, solid tunable engine, near 100% parts backup. There's a reason or several why they are ubiquitous. Very well bought.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Surface Rust said:

Quite a quick look over, it seemed really honest though.

I sent the pic to a friend who has just spent more than the asking price having his B engine rebuilt. 

It wasn't appreciated!

Having the sills replaced, assuming you can find someone to do them, can easily cost 5k if you can't weld.

Earlier today I received an email from the chap who is delivering the MGB, confirming that everything is ok for tomorrow's drop off. I won't be home but my wife might be. I've asked her to take action photos as the MGB is being dumped unloaded outside the house.

Unfortunately, the seller (trader) cannot locate the V5. He has agreed to drop the price by £25, which equates to the cost of a V62 application. This means that until the new V5 arrives, I will not have a single piece of documentation for the MGB. Not to worry, on the basis that it still exists must mean that it had at least a service or two at some point over the past 53 years.

One more sleep - how exciting!

• Peter C changed the title to 1971 MGB GT - Delivery confirmed for tomorrow morning

I must admit, I don’t tend to care at all about service history and old receipts etc on cars this old. 
It’s nice to have, sure, and does go nice with the car if you have it, but the things still here decades after it probably shouldn’t be so it must’ve been looked after at least reasonably well.

I haven’t got a single thing for my Capri from before I bought it, and it was over 30 years old then. I have of course kept everything since! 
Once things get to classic car age it’s more important to go by condition than things like history I think.

Anyway, can’t wait for the photos tomorrow!

Jammy git!  That's an absolute bargain I reckon if it's half as solid as it looks.  

Has anyone called dibs yet if you decide to sell?

• Like 2

People decry them, but if you try and look at them without any prejudice, they are a really nicely styled car. Everyone would drool over them if they were Italian, and if they were Italian they would rust even worse than they do. 

18 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I must admit, I don’t tend to care at all about service history and old receipts etc on cars this old. 
It’s nice to have, sure, and does go nice with the car if you have it, but the things still here decades after it probably shouldn’t be so it must’ve been looked after at least reasonably well.

I haven’t got a single thing for my Capri from before I bought it, and it was over 30 years old then. I have of course kept everything since! 
Once things get to classic car age it’s more important to go by condition than things like history I think.

Anyway, can’t wait for the photos tomorrow!

100% . Buy on condition only. What differance service history makes on a 50 odd year old car I've never understood. If it's made it this far it'll be like Triggers broom anyhow.

• Agree 3

So what if there is a receipt for a new clutch from 1997 at 40k miles (hypothetically speaking)?

Chances are the clutch has been replaced again since or it's fucked and needs replacement. That's bollocks actually, as from my 300mm test drive, I managed to ascertain that the clutch biting point is just right.

6 minutes ago, Matty said:

From the photos the car looks like a pure bargain. 

In the photos, the paint looks more shiny and less orangey than it does in real life but a good cut and polish will have it gleaming in no time and I couldn't care less what shade of red it is.

Looking at this:

15.jpg.4849f0e312cecd978784ecf67f3cd471.jpg

The colour might be Blaze?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, schonker said:

I'm excited,hope you are too!

I’m already nursing a semi.

I am excited but mostly because I want to get underneath it to find out how solid or rusty it is.

17 minutes ago, Peter C said:

I’m already nursing a semi.

I am excited but mostly because I want to get underneath it to find out how solid or rusty it is.

At least you won't have to remove the plastic sill covers that more modern cars have hiding it all!

I put stainless steel sill covers on mine about 40 years ago.

It was a very bad idea as I found out when I could move the bottom rear of the front wings by hand.

28 minutes ago, chadders said:

I put stainless steel sill covers on mine about 40 years ago.

It was a very bad idea as I found out when I could move the bottom rear of the front wings by hand.

I’ve already told you - STOP IT! 

From the photos, it doesn't look like Blaze to me. My first car was a Blaze Mini and it looked much more orange than that.

MyCars001.jpg.dc9dbb48dc5d876aba31044443aa11a0.jpg

Lovely car by the way and I look forward to seeing it turn up on your drive!

Looking at the MG Paint code link, I’d say it’s Flame Red. 

The earlier paint code page you’ve got is for the American market (The Plymouth Cricket was their oddball name for the Hillman Avenger) but looks like all the paint names are the same as they were over here, for BL and Hillman anyway.