F**ked Black Rover 827 SLi - The Mistake Machine

St.Jude

I had a similar situation a while back wondering why VCDS would not communicate with an A6's tranmission control module which was refusing to do anything. It was only when it soaked through my bonce that there may be a connection between the wet carpet and the location of the control unit that the real problem was diagnosed. 

9 hours ago, St.Jude said:

It’s under the drivers seat, so I’d need to remove the seat to get to it.

Remove and leave it in a bag full of silica gel sachets and or rice first.

As said remove top cover and take a quick look.

Sorry haven't watched the video but I'm assuming you've checked the basics as regards starter motors etc?

22 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Remove and leave it in a bag full of silica gel sachets and or rice first.

As said remove top cover and take a quick look.

Sorry haven't watched the video but I'm assuming you've checked the basics as regards starter motors etc?

The video is from Friday when I was there. I didn’t have jump leads with me to check for grounds. 

It appears me and @St.Jude share something in common!!

I was once printing off an application form for a job when the printer stopped mid flow. Brand new printer, from pc world.

I tried everything. It refused to print another page. It got my right foot through the top of it before hitting the side of my garage wall as I launched it through the kitchen door. 

I am subsequently banned from using printers at home. 

good. Hateful things. 

but as per the rover, I really hope you get it running. Shame im not local to you so I can assist with the digitals. 

2 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

It appears me and @St.Jude share something in common!!

I was once printing off an application form for a job when the printer stopped mid flow. Brand new printer, from pc world.

I tried everything. It refused to print another page. It got my right foot through the top of it before hitting the side of my garage wall as I launched it through the kitchen door. 

I am subsequently banned from using printers at home. 

good. Hateful things. 

but as per the rover, I really hope you get it running. Shame im not local to you so I can assist with the digitals. 

Honestly I just picked it up, walked to the garden and twatted it on the floor a few times and then booted it against the wall. Even at work we have problems with the printers and it just ruins my day having to deal with them. Why are they so uttering fucking shit?

14 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Honestly I just picked it up, walked to the garden and twatted it on the floor a few times and then booted it against the wall. Even at work we have problems with the printers and it just ruins my day having to deal with them. Why are they so uttering fucking shit?

All technology is shit. My Pc used to run real quick, now it runs dead slow. Ain’t done anything to it, don’t do dodgy shit on it, just fucking hate technology. It’s crap, unless you have many ££ to throw at it. 

2 hours ago, St.Jude said:

We recently had huge issues with a Ricoh printer in that whatever you tried, it a wouldn't print.

After discussing with the useless Ricoh support team they came up with a solution, just don't print in colour 🤣🤣🤣.

Bear in mind this is an industrial printer worth at least a grand.

My hp envy I've had for 15 years or more can print in colour AND email pictures 🙄🙄🙄🙄.

But then I did give about £50 for it brand new.

One thing made me laugh with it.

"I've got your usb printer cable as well sir for an extra £15".

"Don't need it mate, it's wireless and I have one at home anyway"

" Sir it simply will not work without a cable to set it up"

" It will mate, it even says so on the box"

" Well, I'm telling you it won't "

" I'll take the risk"

"Well once it's out of the box that's it, you've got no comeback then as it's effectively used and I can't sell you the cable at that price, it's on discount and it will be £25 after you leave the shop"

" So my statutory rights of 30 days don't count on printers then? Yeah thought so".

Cock.

I didn't need a cable either 🙄🙄🙄.

An update for all of you still on the fence deciding to buy it…

There is no power going to the ECU, nothing from the fuel pump. I’ve taken the ECU out as well as the main relay, the relay looks like it’s had some water get to it but I’m going to test it on Monday to see if it’s borked. But if it is it’s £20 for a new one as they’re still made.

The ECU looks fine as in nothing looks to have blown. The back of the case felt a bit damp, but it doesn’t look like it’s damp inside the ECU.

From the BOL, the main relay seems to control both the ECU and fuel pump. So that’s looking to be a likely culprit now.

22 hours ago, St.Jude said:

An update for all of you still on the fence deciding to buy it…

There is no power going to the ECU, nothing from the fuel pump. I’ve taken the ECU out as well as the main relay, the relay looks like it’s had some water get to it but I’m going to test it on Monday to see if it’s borked. But if it is it’s £20 for a new one as they’re still made.

The ECU looks fine as in nothing looks to have blown. The back of the case felt a bit damp, but it doesn’t look like it’s damp inside the ECU.

From the BOL, the main relay seems to control both the ECU and fuel pump. So that’s looking to be a likely culprit now.

I shouldn't tell you this but relays are very easy to bypass if you just want to check?

14 minutes ago, vaughant said:

I shouldn't tell you this but relays are very easy to bypass if you just want to check?

This one looked a bit more involved tbh. I thought if I got it off I can test it on a bench at work and it’s fucked, by the time I have time to go back to the Rover I’d have a new one. If it’s broke.

It’s not the only thing I’ve not thought through with this. 

Can an admin move this to the general Autoshite forum please? I think it's serving more as a chronicle of what I'm doing to it to fix it rather what I'm doing to it to sell it.

I'm not inclined to scrap this, I've also had no offers, (which I don't blame anyone for). So I think right now my plan is to get it running, bring it back to the condition it was meant to be in (and then some - maybe).

• St.Jude changed the title to F**ked Black Rover 827 SLi - The Mistake Machine
5 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Can an admin move this to the general Autoshite forum please? I think it's serving more as a chronicle of what I'm doing to it to fix it rather what I'm doing to it to sell it.

I'm not inclined to scrap this, I've also had no offers, (which I don't blame anyone for). So I think right now my plan is to get it running, bring it back to the condition it was meant to be in (and then some - maybe).

Fabulous news. If you get it back to its former glory I’ll buy you a pint. 

6 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Done and well done 👍

6 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Good man. This handsome old thing still looks like it has plenty of potential and is suitably rare to deserve a second chance. You never know, you may even end up liking it?! 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Fabulous news. If you get it back to its former glory I’ll buy you a pint. 

If I get it back to it’s former glory you can pay for my divorce.

57 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Done and well done 👍

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Good man. This handsome old thing still looks like it has plenty of potential and is suitably rare to deserve a second chance. You never know, you may even end up liking it?! 

Right now it’s like a girlfriend who’s shagged your mate when pissed. She has a lot of grovelling to do and I won’t put up with anymore of its shit. So it’s not off the hook at all.

34 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I won’t need to pay for your divorce. I have plenty of bullets 🤣🤣

I don’t need a kidney yet so hold fire!

9 minutes ago, HMC said:

If it works again, id buy it, i wanted to originally as it my ultimate 800 basically.

You’ve got plenty of time to save up!

It's taken all week but here we are, results are in from the main relay test. It's been busy at work so friday afternoon was the only downtime we had to do this.

The main relay controls both the fuel pump and the ECU. The relay directing power to the ECU has stopped working completely, the relay directing power to the fuel pump is sticky. So this may (or may not) be the reason for running issues as well as not starting but turning over etc.

New relay will be purchased later tonight and hopefully maybe fit it next Saturday.

“Replacement” main relay has been ordered.

Why have I put quotations around replacement? Well…

Chap from the Rover 800 group who has been going out of his way to both tell me what to look for and more information of the history of its running issues has told me that getting main relays for the Rover 827 is like finding rocking horse shit. It’s a rare old part apparently.

However, my mate Josh who is a Honda licker and found the wiring diagram for the relay tells me it’s a Honda part used across a number of their models. Googling the model number of the relay and Honda comes up with a Honda part number 39400-SD4-003. 

Googling that part number comes up with results for their main relay, and more importantly the main relay that’s come out of my Rover. 

The issue now is that the proper Mistuba relay costs upwards of £85. A knock off from eBay? £26.

If it works and if I keep it then I’ll plump for a proper Mitsuba relay, and I’ll have helped the Rover community with identifying a replacement part.

So let’s see.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:42 PM, St.Jude said:

“Replacement” main relay has been ordered.

Why have I put quotations around replacement? Well…

Chap from the Rover 800 group who has been going out of his way to both tell me what to look for and more information of the history of its running issues has told me that getting main relays for the Rover 827 is like finding rocking horse shit. It’s a rare old part apparently.

However, my mate Josh who is a Honda licker and found the wiring diagram for the relay tells me it’s a Honda part used across a number of their models. Googling the model number of the relay and Honda comes up with a Honda part number 39400-SD4-003. 

Googling that part number comes up with results for their main relay, and more importantly the main relay that’s come out of my Rover. 

The issue now is that the proper Mistuba relay costs upwards of £85. A knock off from eBay? £26.

If it works and if I keep it then I’ll plump for a proper Mitsuba relay, and I’ll have helped the Rover community with identifying a replacement part.

So let’s see.

After reading the thread and your messages i am starting to think the water ingress/dampness is whats caused the running issues while it was sitting clearly its gone from bogging down to not working at all. I have a spare relay and i am returning to the mainland briefly on the 16th so will try and get this to you if you still need one. They are rarer than rocking horse shite but i would like the car to survive and to see you enjoy it as intended when it was sold.

As for the Rover 800 club if its John you've been talking to he is very knowledgeable and a great help but the car has had no previous running issues although i have owned somewhere in the region of 8-10 Rover 800s so its an easy mistake to make and he may be getting mixed up with another ive owned. Any major issues i had with the car previously was usually down to rarity/lack of replacement parts but i always found them or a way round the issue in the end an example of this would be the headlight relay. As ive said many times the car was in daily use for three years its been to Belgium France and Germany and proved itself to be very reliable car until i left it sat for a few months while i restored my SD1. Its only when i returned to it after having the stainless steel exhaust fitted the dampness and bogging down raised its ugly head.