Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

21e6eqp.jpg

According to my copy of Laurence H. Cade's 1950s masterwork* 'The Modern World Book of Motors', this is "a remarkable photograph recording one of the most unusual accidents in motor racing history when Major Braid left the road and, having felled a fir tree, found himself on the roof of Battalion HQ at Blandford Camp."

:shock:

Amazingly enough I was only reading about the Herald with the wall on it a day or so back in an old  copy of Practical Motorist!   The car was practically new and the wall was demolished (along with the Herald) by an errant market delivery lorry whilst the lady was doing a bit of shopping.

post-4845-0-96734200-1401658780_thumb.png

This picture was allegedly taken at Daytona Beach, but the car is French and never actually left its homeland. It was powered by two Bristol Jupiter aero engines, which would have developed about 600bhp. Built by René Stapp between 1930 and 1932 it caught fire while being tested on the beach at La Baule. Stapp broke his leg during this incident and the car was destroyed.

See this video of it driving through Paris: https://picasaweb.google.com/VoisinAerodyne/StappJupiter?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDI0_2hgJDnzAE&feat=email#5970611083092424498

Comment from this page: http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/600-km-h-record-mathieu-cuppens-022306.html

"Believe it or not, this is a 4-litre Voisin, as discreetly modified by René Stapp in Moiselle in 1932 as a land speed record contender by fitting a trio of old 29-litre Bristol Jupiter aero engines converted into ‘internal combustion turbines’. The original Voisin engine was retained for starting purposes. With a total of more than 1200 horses, he confidently predicted 450km/h, but his test runs on the sands near La Baule ended when the car spontaneously combusted when it reached 90km/h. Stapp beat a hasty retreat with his trousers on fire, but only his dignity was harmed.

10 metres long and painted in blue, the car apparently boasted four wheel drive and electric transmission; it weighed 5,000lb. Forward vision was via a modified submarine periscope. Stapp fended off technical questions on the grounds of secrecy.

"I have not heard such noise since the Great War," said one reporter. "The sight of the car on the road, trailing long streamers of orange-colored flame from the holes in the tail, and making a noise like an artillery barrage, was distinctly impressive."

Wonderful photos, some of which are very familiar others that aren't. Its also nice to have seen some of the cars photographed in the metal.

The 'wheel-loss Bugatti' driver is Raymond Mays, later famous for tuned Vauxhalls among other things.

The 'Andre Lefebvre' shot shows the  Voisin Laboratoire which was frustatingly under a cover all the limited time I was at the Festival of Speed last year.  (actually I think it is a replica)

Fos13paddock_022.jpg

The massively tall Fiat is due to be at the FoS in a few weeks time.  Or at least a car made out of parts of that one and the other one that was built.

Some wonderful photos there, especially those of the heroic age of motor racing, most of which are new to me, many thanks for posting.

I just love the way in picture #7 (sorry, don't seem to be able to post a link) that the BMC Competitions Department appear to have just borrowed a transporter from Coopers to take the works Austin Healey team to the 1966 Le Mans 24 hours :)