F**ked Black Rover 827 SLi - The Mistake Machine

St.Jude

4 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

I do! My Peugeot 107, which is overdue a service actually…

Ah, forgot about that one! 

If not I was going to prescribe the phenomenon that is MK2 Focus ownership. It's usually refreshingly stress free and doesn't break the bank, cause a divorce, or cause an alcohol consumption problem while searching for and stressing over unobtainium parts :)

Rover being Rover............my 820 had worse leccy than a 70's italian car, windows worked on their own/when they wanted/and usually stopped working when down and raining!!!!!!

1 hour ago, garbaldy said:

Ffs put the darn thing in a garage to get serviced.

Ah relax pussycat, it needs it based on months not mileage. Think I’m 5,000 under it. I’ll drop the oil next weekend.

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ah, forgot about that one! 

If not I was going to prescribe the phenomenon that is MK2 Focus ownership. It's usually refreshingly stress free and doesn't break the bank, cause a divorce, or cause an alcohol consumption problem while searching for and stressing over unobtainium parts :)

Nope. Never. Fords and Vauxhall are a no go for me personally. My Dad had a Mk1 Focus saloon and a Mk 2(?) Mondeo, and out of all the cars he’s had they are the two I have no nostalgia or desire for. But then he had three 800’s so what do I know?

2 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

Rover being Rover............my 820 had worse leccy than a 70's italian car, windows worked on their own/when they wanted/and usually stopped working when down and raining!!!!!!

The last 820 my dad had would cut out when driving. No matter what speed, 20mph/70mph the engine would die. But would start back up. No idea what the cause was but he got Rid of it and replaced it with a Mk1 Focus.

35 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

The last 820 my dad had would cut out when driving. No matter what speed, 20mph/70mph the engine would die. But would start back up. No idea what the cause was but he got Rid of it and replaced it with a Mk1 Focus.

I'm not saying you could do the same as your Dad here, but you could re-Focus...

It's even 'project ready' or whatever buzzwords the marketing type for knackered shitheaps are using these days.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where, or how, I can get access to the neutral switch for the gearbox on this thing? I'll be looking at it on Saturday and if the main relay tests OK (haven't done that yet) then it'll be the neutral switch that I need to look at next.

37 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

Would it not just be feeding a signal re gear lever position into the gearbox computer, which then signals the valve solenoids to move accordingly?

It does go on the gear lever position, but I don’t know if the switch is there or if it’s buried underneath the car.

But it will stop the car from starting at all if it believes the gear is in neutral (so I believe) like all Hondas.

43 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

I thought you could start them in Neutral OR Park..... But its been many years sine I drove my old mans so feel free to ignore me - I could be confusing it with the XJR 

You could be right, I may have got them the wrong way round. But it is a thing that stops it starting regardless if it thinks it's not in the correct gear.

You could be right, I may have got them the wrong way round. But it is a thing that stops it starting regardless if it thinks it's not in the correct gear.

There's an AR dealer film on YT showing how to adjust the gear lever position which you've probably seen:

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Any updates on the 827?

Nope. Nothing.

I’ve not been near it really as every weekend something else has happened. Some weekends my mom has come to mine (so no need to go to her), various family things, the garage I’ve been working on, this weekend I’ve been doing the driveway to have the Lada on stilts.

Id imagine some point in September I’ll go and have a look at it. 

Nope. Nothing.

I’ve not been near it really as every weekend something else has happened. Some weekends my mom has come to mine (so no need to go to her), various family things, the garage I’ve been working on, this weekend I’ve been doing the driveway to have the Lada on stilts.

Id imagine some point in September I’ll go and have a look at it. 

Good to hear you still intend to continue to unpick the ungrateful old bastard at some point anyway. It's a decent looking motor.

13 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Good to hear you still intend to continue to unpick the ungrateful old bastard at some point anyway. It's a decent looking motor.

It’s more of a going concern if it works!

Im not even annoyed not spending time on it because I knew I wouldn’t have the time to sort issues with it to begin with. So it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was minding my business last night watching Project Nigel and he has a Rover 800 displaying the same non-start issues as mine. He then mentions an EAK Code, puts it in the door, and it works. Since found out there’s a 4 digit code you put in to the door (turn it X times to lock, turn it Y times to unlock, Z times lock, AA times unlock) and that resets the immobiliser and the car starts. 

I didn’t know about the code. And I’ve looked with the papers I’ve got for a code… and I don’t have one.

So I need to find this code or find a way to reset it. Although this chap on a random website thinks this could work…

IMG_3834.thumb.jpeg.2b08ffa27b1b32e57dd65201f9c717ae.jpeg

1 minute ago, St.Jude said:

So I was minding my business last night watching Project Nigel and he has a Rover 800 displaying the same non-start issues as mine. He then mentions an EAK Code, puts it in the door, and it works. Since found out there’s a 4 digit code you put in to the door (turn it X times to lock, turn it Y times to unlock, Z times lock, AA times unlock) and that resets the immobiliser and the car starts. 

I didn’t know about the code. And I’ve looked with the papers I’ve got for a code… and I don’t have one.

So I need to find this code or find a way to reset it.

Try his code? There's not enough combinations of 4 digit for every 800 to be different. 

36 minutes ago, grogee said:

Try his code? There's not enough combinations of 4 digit for every 800 to be different. 

You get 3 goes and then you’re locked out for 30 minutes.

Ive deciphered the VIN and the 11th character is an M. It ends with 6 numbers though, so I’ve just wrote down the 3 groups I could make from it and we’ll see how we go.

Just now, St.Jude said:

You get 3 goes and then you’re locked out for 30 minutes.

Ive deciphered the VIN and the 11th character is an M. It ends with 6 numbers though, so I’ve just wrote down the 3 groups I could make from it and we’ll see how we go.

May the force be with you. 

star-wars-han-solo.gif

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

There are 10000 combinations of a 4 digit number, it'd take years. Best to try that thing of chassis number first.

There is, but my point is there are (or were) more than 10,000 800s in existence so some must share a code. My guess is factory changed it every year or something, I can't imagine they were very efficient about it. 

28 minutes ago, grogee said:

There is, but my point is there are (or were) more than 10,000 800s in existence so some must share a code. My guess is factory changed it every year or something, I can't imagine they were very efficient about it. 

Would depend on how the code is generated - if it's in the bit of the VIN that changes with every single car or every tenth, or every different engine...

33 minutes ago, shampooefficient said:

Would depend on how the code is generated - if it's in the bit of the VIN that changes with every single car or every tenth, or every different engine...

It would also depend if a code is generated at all. 

Put yourself in Rover's shoes - how are they going to keep track of each code and VIN number, who keeps the record, how is it accessed when a dealer needs to know, how is it updated when a dealer fits a new module? 

Or, just have one code and fuggedabowdit

No good. It’s too hot too to Jack it up and take the gear selector off to see if that’s the issue.

If it’s not the gear selector then fuck knows what’s the matter. The ECU isn’t giving codes, the light goes off so the ECU is happy. But it just won’t turn over. I suspect the fuel relay is toast and I’m going to replace that relay with the new one I bought and see if that at least engages the fuel pump.

On 9/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

This company retained all such data when MG Rover went bust. Worth a try? 

http://www.mgrccservices.com/services/emergency-key-access-codes/

Will give these a call today and see what they can provide me with.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:35 PM, Wgl2019 said:

Similar issue maybe?

Maybe, it’s possible. But it’d be nearly £200 to find out. I did contemplate buying it on the basis of using it for the Lada if/when I plonk the K Series in it. But again it’s a lot of money for something I wouldn’t use a lot.

On 9/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, St.Jude said:

No good. It’s too hot too to Jack it up and take the gear selector off to see if that’s the issue.

If it’s not the gear selector then fuck knows what’s the matter. The ECU isn’t giving codes, the light goes off so the ECU is happy. But it just won’t turn over. I suspect the fuel relay is toast and I’m going to replace that relay with the new one I bought and see if that at least engages the fuel pump.

When you say won't turn over, are you getting any crank at all and no fire, or no crank whatsover?