Ruffgeezer's Repairs... (Tales from an ex-mechanic) 23/04/2024 V70 cold starts a bitch.

ruffgeezer

Well I got it all buttoned up,  it ran briefly and now won't start, seemingly no fuel getting through.  I did have the fuel filter housing off but not disconnected so I'm hoping it is just an air bubble.  I do get engine speed registering if i start the bastard on a bit of spray n go.

It's all ahead pause since that episode as I had to inspect and repair my SIL's incredibly neglected Qashqai.  Due to their penchant for buying newer model, poorly repaired, pre-smashed up shitboxes,  it's another existing damage related repair, (See also, boost hose, radiator hoses, air conditioning)

Because the intercooler has never sat properly in its bracket, it now has a hole cut in the back of it by the condenser.

You can do a swap without removing the bumper, but as the front of this thing is mostly cableties and ill will,  it didn't take long to get it off, and a cheapo intercooler from ebay was soon nailed on.

Faults cleared and it is cured, but fucking horrid in the way that all poorly maintained cars are.

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

What was it? Air lock?

Seemingly, yes.  Started first go after putting the fuel system bleeder kit on it.  I reckon having had the filter housing lifted,  and the front of the car in the air for a while must have allowed any air in the system to gather there.

Phew!

• 3 weeks later...

For the last few months, there has been a reoccurring fault with our 2007 (ph2) V70 D5 (silver engine cover)

It would:
1) Start then cut out straight away when cold unless throttle applied.
2) Intermittent engine service message, fault code points to the MAF sensor 135f Faulty Signal.

It is a low mileage (50k) automatic, and since buying it earlier in the year, ive had I've had the egr apart as it was clogged, stripped the inlet off and put a new set of swirl flaps in as they were worn, these improved drivability but the intermittentfault was becoming more regular.
All the previous work needed doing as there was considerable soot build up, well, everywhere!

Now it's very easy to just fire new parts based on the fault codes, but with the data logger on, the readings I was getting from the MAF always seemed to be pretty reasonable, and sensors when they are duff tend to stay duff.

20230422_203035.thumb.jpg.294bb7f41be9387fb8d93fc14f53b2f7.jpg

It is always worth looking at the other related data when you've the opportunity, as I did, to see if anything else seems amiss. In my car's case, the Inlet Air Temperature sensor was reading 105 degrees C, which didn't seem probable in early spring! It is part of the boost pressure sensor also.

20230422_202658.thumb.jpg.0818e45ae99115501bf3444c7ebf9687.jpg

Even just hanging the new sensor on the wires gave a far more sensible reading of 16deg, so I'm quietly hopeful that I've the problem solved. I suspect that because the ECU thought the air was a lot hotter than it was, it was throwing all the other readings out.

20230422_202341.thumb.jpg.e2dcb0b72303625231d2e5e567b85891.jpg

Last pic is the location of the sensor, just behind the intercooler.

20230422_202404.thumb.jpg.8af715ab89ebec054096bb6ed48f2e1d.jpg

• ruffgeezer changed the title to Ruffgeezer's Repairs... (Tales from an ex-mechanic) 23/04/2024 V70 cold starts a bitch.
  • 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

On the D5 Volvo,  there are 2 engine mounts that vacuum assisted,  and also very prone to failure.   The diaphragm on the front one has split and so is letting by hence draining the vacuum from the rest of the system.

To quote @grogee "wut" - every day I learn something new, today it's vacuum assisted engine mounts - that's a  thing??
Why?