JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG]

JJ0063

This is a bit of a controversial one but I picked this up off Facebook for less than 1/3 of what the airbag alone sells for on eBay and I love it, changes the way the van feels to drive again completely. The Golf GTI one weirdly felt huge, this actually feels great to drive with.

Audi Transporter FTW

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1562.jpeg

24 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This is a bit of a controversial one but I picked this up off Facebook for less than 1/3 of what the airbag alone sells for on eBay and I love it, changes the way the van feels to drive again completely. The Golf GTI one weirdly felt huge, this actually feels great to drive with.

Audi Transporter FTW

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1562.jpeg

Actually, that's alright. Is there a vw horn push of the same diameter (can't imagine why there wouldn't be) that could be fit without too much hassle?

23 hours ago, Matty said:

Actually, that's alright. Is there a vw horn push of the same diameter (can't imagine why there wouldn't be) that could be fit without too much hassle?

I weirdly quite like the Audi badge, I can’t be arsed changing it tbh 😂

18 hours ago, Popsicle said:

@JJ0063 If you still have the flat bottomed Golf steering wheel and are looking to get rid of it I'd buy it off you, quite fancy one for my Caddy.

It can be for sale, they’re £190 odd upwards on eBay 

£150 posted is really as low as I’d want to take, it does have slight wear

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

5 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I weirdly quite like the Audi badge, I can’t be arsed changing it tbh 😂

It can be for sale, they’re £190 odd upwards on eBay 

£150 posted is really as low as I’d want to take, it does have slight wear

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

Yea I'll take that mate, turn the Caddy into a sports van 😂. DM me your bank details and I'll wang some money over to you, it can't be as worn as mine, its done 327k miles!

So nothing to really report with T5 life. Still absolutely love it, im getting used to the waves now. Even tried to pre empt one the other day so put my hand up first and they didn’t wave back 😂

So pleased I changed the wheels. 

Randomly yesterday I went to pop to the shop, ignition on with lights as normal, turned the key and nothing. Jump pack on, exact same. Not even the ‘clink’ of a stuck starter motor. Tried it 7-8 times and eventually it just started as normal and I’ve started it probably 10 times since and it’s been fine. 

Can’t decide whether all that rain sent something funny yesterday or if it’s the starter motor heading towards death. Seems to be £150 odd for a non awful brand one but oddly found my local Halfords had a Lucas one in stock for £75.90 on trade so I picked that up today. I can’t be arsed getting stranded somewhere so just going to change it then I can rule it out if it does it again. 

8B2D3C4B-5111-4B73-9E1F-84FFB00EDCAA.jpeg

41033E2F-9410-4257-A425-3A37A0C5E87C.jpeg

Fitted the new starter motor today, not a bad job at all and Jesus Christ what a difference in how it starts. I’ll try and find a video of before but basically sounded like it had a flat battery all the time but would always start.

The one I removed was VW branded and stuck fast so I assume it was probably the original so for 213k miles I’m not surprised it was getting lazy. 

Check out how quick it starts now!

EDIT: 

Here was before, you’d think the battery was flat but it was brand new!

8 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Good work.

It's been just over a month, will you be selling it to buy another BMW now?

4 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I feel it's time for another Jaaaaag?

I genuinely have no regrets buying this and certainly no plans to sell any time soon 😂 

We we’re only chatting today whilst driving home from walking the dogs in the forest how convenient it is having it and that how for a van it looks nice and so many randomers appreciate it when walking past which is always nice!

On 23/10/2023 at 20:30, meshking said:

I know what you mean, I bought a t6 last year and really just enjoy driving it and just how useful it is. I'm not waving though...

Haha, I’m used to it now, normally a half arsed wave but I’m down with the veedub kids now. Haven’t bought myself any WeirdFish clothing yet though!

4 hours ago, Popsicle said:

Cheers for posting the steering wheel out @JJ0063

20231024_162226.thumb.jpg.adc671f1225754474b3746406db86d1f.jpg

Sports van now innit!

Looks good! Suits it. 

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

Looks good! Suits it.

On and off 3 times to fit it as I kept being a spline or two out of dead centre 😡.

Just need some leather seats now for the full cow experience, the Touran ones I popped in over 200k miles ago are starting to sag a little, still far comfier than the standard seats, whichever sadistic twat designed them has a special place in hell waiting for them......

Just ordered myself my first ever multimeter.

I thought my stereo was broken, kept restarting when I was driving along.. eventually remembered the whole audio system has been wired into an amp which is connected to the leisure battery so it can be used when parked up without flattening the starter battery.

Checked the switch panel which has a volt meter and even just parked up the volts were flashing between 7 and 9v all over the place. Eventually just stopping at 9.54v dead. 

So I either have a knackered leisure battery, or the split charge isn’t charging it. The little red light on the split charge relay was lit up when I had a quick glance so leaning towards a potentially knackered battery. 

I couldn’t investigate much as I was in Tescos car park on the way to dropping it for its MOT. 

At least if I’ve got a multimeter I can check whether the battery is charging at all I guess. The volts didn’t move from 9.54v even with the van running and giving it some revs. 

Somethings definitely changed since yesterday though as I was sat in the back of the van and noticed it was at 11.5v (which I know is low) and it’s always shown 11.5v on the leisure battery volt meter since I’ve owned it. 

I know naff all about electrics but I assume it can really only be the battery itself or the split charge relay.

IMG_1812.png

It should jump up to 13-14v when the engine is running, even if the battery is fucked, so it's not charging for some reason.

95.8427% of DIY fit split charge systems are fire hazards / not fit for purpose. The cheaper setups will have a tiny relay, thin wire and a couple of 30A fuses which blow pretty often in normal use.

Get the battery on charge sharpish to prevent any more damage, and follow the wires from the leisure battery and take some photos, I'll try and make sense of it for you! 

1 minute ago, cobblers said:

It should jump up to 13-14v when the engine is running, even if the battery is fucked, so it's not charging for some reason.

95.8427% of DIY fit split charge systems are fire hazards / not fit for purpose. The cheaper setups will have a tiny relay, thin wire and a couple of 30A fuses which blow pretty often in normal use.

Get the battery on charge sharpish to prevent any more damage, and follow the wires from the leisure battery and take some photos, I'll try and make sense of it for you! 

In the dark I had a quick look and in the bay behind the main battery I found an inline fuse holder and the actual split charge relay, saw the relay had a red light on so assumed the fuse was OK

When I get it back from MOT I’ll have a proper look and also try out the Amazon special multimeter to see if it is in fact getting any charge to the leisure battery under the drivers seat 👍

if the light is on the relay it's getting power from the main battery, it's probably just the fuse between the relay and your pleasure battery that's gone.

Best to put the battery on a mains charger for a while first of all - the surge of current when charging a really flat battery is what usually blows the fuse, so if you get it topped up first that'll save it just blowing the new fuse!

1 minute ago, cobblers said:

if the light is on the relay it's getting power from the main battery, it's probably just the fuse between the relay and your pleasure battery that's gone.

Best to put the battery on a mains charger for a while first of all - the surge of current when charging a really flat battery is what usually blows the fuse, so if you get it topped up first that'll save it just blowing the new fuse!

Will do some investigating! Thanks for the advice

I assume the fact I’ve never seen that volt meter above 11.5v whilst sat in the back of the van means the leisure battery probably isn’t in the best health anyway, im sure the brand was a cheapy looking one and by paperwork the van was converted around 5 years ago so isn’t exactly a new battery either 

2 minutes ago, mercedade said:

LHD headlight lenses fitted? Full Dub

Looks a pretty straightforward list.

Previous owner fitted LED bulbs dipped and main, completely slipped my mind to change them for the MOT tbh!

Im not going to fuck about on the drive doing a brake pipe, will get them to do it and look at the sticking brake too, I just can’t be bothered 😂

• Like 3

Just spoken to him and he’s said that if I do the caliper and bulbs myself, he will sort the brake pipe on the 13th and get a fresh ticket on it. 

He said for the sake of another £50 odd I’m best off doing both rear calipers which makes sense so I’m going to order the pair and get them swapped over with a new set of pads.

Bar that he said it’s not bad at all for the miles. Wants a set of wishbone bushes but I knew that already as it knocks like mad but he said it’s nowhere near bad enough for him to fail, just an advisory. 

Happy days!