Decker Dave's Decluttered Dross Dribblings

davidfowler2000

Today I did a small thing. Finished off the power wiring in the trailer with room for expansion. I have also done fuel filter tinkerings on the 205 but need to stitch the videos together in to one big one.

Trailer has been wired so that it has 2 x 15A feeds from the car. From the car, one is constant 12V, one is switched 12V. Switching is done by a sensing relay that detects the rise in voltage from the alternator. Two additional sense relays in the trailer mean that the leisure battery will only be connected to the car when the engine is running and totally disconnect when the engine stops.

I could have used one relay in the trailer for both 12V feeds however I want to be able to use the 12V Switched as a power source and as a trigger should I decide to install a high load component like a water heater or 240V inverter so that it only runs when the engine is on but with the option of adding in a bypass switch so that it COULD run off the battery.

IMG_20220222_153458.jpg

• davidfowler2000 changed the title to Decker Dave's Decluttered Dross Dribblings: I'LL BE IN MY TRAILER

Smol update #2

As mentioned I did a fuel filter tinkering. I was getting a lot of surging on a cold start and even more so if it had been sitting a while so I suspected fuel was draining back to the tank.

The video shows how the original filter assembly is a bit bent but aside from that the o-rings are also rock solid. The "new" filter assembly is from a Cummins ISCe bus engine from a Transbus Trident and is just a simple spin-on affair. Mr @Talbot may appreciate the level of diesel bodgery here.
And yes I know I've got the head the wrong way round. I'll attend to that when I get a shorter filter for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, davidfowler2000 said:

Mr @Talbot may appreciate the level of diesel bodgery here.

It works.  More than that matters not!

Caught myself saying "my my, that's a large one" when you picked up the new filter body.  With that amount of filter area you could probably leave it fitted for about 100k mile service intervals!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • davidfowler2000 changed the title to Decker Dave's Decluttered Dross Dribblings: SPONSORED BY STAGECOACH WEST SCOTLAND
3 hours ago, Talbot said:

You've paid for public transport?  Surely you just heave the driver off of whatever bus/coach/train it is and just drive it yourself?

My CPC ran out so I can't drive a bus in revenue earning service. And I don't know the Kilmarnock line for the trains. I could have travelled passenger to Killie but the connection time from the train to the number 10 bus was tight and I didn't fancy waiting an hour for the next one if I did miss it. An hour in Killie *shudders*

Right now that I am home and have had dinner... full story.

Got a phonecall on Tuesday from Kilmarnock Engine Services that the 740 was ready for pickup. I finished work today at 1230 for 5 days. I had hoped to get in early enough from Ardrossan to get the 1227 Kilmarnock train. Would have arrived in Killie at about 1320 so maybe manage get the 1330 number 10 bus (The first bus route I ever drove in service solo) for Troon as far as Moorfield Industrial Estate.  Bit of tight connection with the walk from the train station to bus station.

Got in about 1223 from the harbour but by the time I put my stuff in my locker, the 1227 was already away. Three options remained -
1 - Wait for the 1327 train and aim to get the 1430 number 10. Again, a tight connection.
2 - Find a X76 / X77 motorway express and MAYBE still get the 1330 No10. Nope. Next X76 would get me in for the 1430 with a big wait.
3 - Walk down the street and get the No4. Arrive Killie 1348 so 40 mins to wait for the No10.

Option 3 won out. Again, the No4 - one of my old stomping grounds during my short tenure at Kilmarnock depot. Best route out of that depot.

IMG_20220331_124340.thumb.jpg.5a4e95d8234ae16297df8fb12eb79175.jpg
£6.50 is quite reasonable for a ~25 mile journey.

IMG_20220331_135744.thumb.jpg.f5a4dec3e57c323effddd5006c0c8047.jpg
The pictures never do justice just how much of a shit hole this place is. I quite like coming here and reveling at the fact I don't have to work here any more. Not a single type of bus in this photo was in service with Stagecoach when I was a KK driver.
Plaxton Panorama / Volvo B11R foreground.
ADL Enviro 300 / Scania K230 on stance 10.
ADL Enviro 200EV / BYD behind.
ADL Enviro 400 last with just the slightest view of the charging pantograph of a Volvo 7900 EV away at the furthest end.
...and a Van Hool TDX27 Astromega parked up with a hint of another E400 behind that.
Back in my days here it was all Volvo B10Ms, MAN 18.220s, Dennis Tridents and Mercedes 709s.

Anyways went a wander round the shit hole town centre and got the 1430 No10 and asked for Moorfield. Driver issued a ticket for Mount Avenue so 50p cheaper. Win.

IMG_20220331_143120.thumb.jpg.41dcc5e8edc33ae924ff76ed4cd6b499.jpg
Swapping an E300 Scania on the No4 for a Mercedes powered Optare Solo SR with Voith gearbox was a major downgrade.

Got to the workshop...
IMG_20220331_144617.thumb.jpg.a6b30af32c924d37abe62ddbba54ce07.jpg
Blocked in by a van doing a full regen cycle so had to wait. Got talking with the man...

The engine got a full strip down and rebuild.
The bores had worn 12thou oversize so it got over bored even more with new correct fitting pistons. Cylinder head was fully reconditioned. I had mentioned the previous head gasket about 5 years ago had the head being skimmed. He noted the previous skim was rough but this latest skim has an almost polished finish. Valve stem seals / guide were noted to be hard so was all replaced.
Crankshaft was in good condition but got a polish anyways. Bearings showed no significant problems so oil supply was good which is a good thing 'cos he couldn't get a new oil pump.
While it was apart it got new big end bearings and new crank main bearings. Full seal and gasket kit over the whole engine. New timing belt and water pump.

Bill
£2940

How is it running? Beautifully. Smooth as a fish but however absolutely does not pull like a great. It's stupidly low on power. At full throttle it couldn't climb over the floor hump of the two post lift without a short run up. 70mph on the motorway back to Glasgow was a chore - fu' shoe most of the way with kickdown necessary to maintain 70mph on some parts of the M77. it's very VERY not right there.
Consensus in the Scotoshite Whatsapp chat is either severely retarded timing or the timing belt a tooth out. Possibly fuel starvation from being off the road for 6 months but I doubt it. Tinkering is due to happen this coming Saturday and the car is to go back after 500 miles anyways to make sure everything is ok. I'll be driving those 500 miles with MUCH VERY GUSTO just in case the K-Jet system is maybe a little bit gummed up.

But anyways. For now, at least,... home...

IMG_20220331_162759.thumb.jpg.88eebd31b7da299202f35ee41583dc49.jpg

• davidfowler2000 changed the title to Decker Dave's Decluttered Dross Dribblings: SPONSORED BY SHIT TIP TOURS (AN SVM INDUSTRIES INDUSTRY)

Seeing as I picked it up when it was warmed up, I had not driven it from a cold start. Fuck. Me. Sideways...

So today I met up with Mr @juular at the unit of TTT Solutions feat @320touringand @jaypee for some poking and/or prodding...

Back to Killie on Monday then

It should be better when it's timed correctly.

At cold the Warm Up Control on the K-Jet enriches the mixture. @320touring drove cold and he said it felt like it was massively over fuelling and couldn't burn it until the revs picked up and it was able to get more air. Plugs and exhaust are sooty so it's clearly well rich. With one tooth out it's currently running valves retarded so by advancing it one tooth should give it more air and take away the really flat throttle response and hopefully fix all it's woes.

A very schoolboy error from an engine rebuild shop.

Surely before presenting a three grand bill they should have done a bloody test drive...

I'd have been incandescent if I got it handed back after an engine rebuild and it wasn't running right or at least an explanation of what was awry if it was something far outside the scope of what they had touched.

The man apparently did a test drive and complimented it on how well it drives for such "an old car". Clearly he's never driven another one but surely he must have noticed how utterly dead the throttle response was. @juular notice it pulling out of the first junction at the unit today.

I'll be phoning on Monday and taking it back as soon as possible.