Mercedes E320 CDI S211, Shite or Shiteable?

Snake Charmer

Scheisse

They landed yesterday and I ripped into fitting at work in the evening. Just over 20 minutes to get the old ones off then a lot of sodding around with getting the spring seats loose due to heavy corrosion. Then I find the Bilstein specific spring platforms are not in either box. Back on the old ones go, a wee bit of lathe bashing this weekend should suffice in getting them fitted. Then I fully expect the rear ride height will drop in simpathy!

I found some aircraft alloy and turned up a pair of spring platforms today to replace the missing Bilstein ones then fitted the new dampers. The ride height has dropped a little with the option for more and the ride is good, not crashy.  Mot next Saturday, hopefully I can get the injector seals done before then.

Genuine injector bolts and seals on order, a pot of magic ointment to smear on the injectors plus some 6mm leak off O rings at a more reasonable 76p than £2 to £4.75 each ffs. 

Looking at the car today, the arch to tyre gap now looks pretty even all round and I can't help thinking the rear has gone up a little since fitting the front dampers. I have the rear arch height measurements at work, it might just be an illusion but could be the self levelling playing tricks.

20220619_211531.thumb.jpg.b13e84b01ad351dcae76b9327bf59a72.jpg

20220619_211507.thumb.jpg.fc7a16672445255393993cb61843f334.jpg

Thank you, I'm really please I saved it from being weighed in now as despite the faults, it really is a fantastic car.

Rims are 8.5 X 18" CLC rears front and back with 245/45 tyres. I tried the 225 CLC fronts and it looked a factory fitment but seeing a Brabus front fitment was a similar size and offset I went for the rears all round so I can rotate the wheels knowing it has not upset the steering terribly. I'm still waiting for the anoraks to read me chapter and verse about C Class wheels not fitting and how I must have bodged them on. 😁

I like the look of the staggered E55/E63 wheels but they have a premium on them and these worked out around £250 a corner fitted plus they look a little different and no AMG Tax. 15mm wheel spacers on the rear might help match the front as they look a little tucked under.

A little lower, perhaps 19-25mm would be nice if I can get the rear to conform without resorting to a Star reconfigure. There's another couple of notches to lower the front, I will try that when I get some time but I have a feeling the rear will not come down in sympathy but rise to meet the level sensor calibration. 

20220622_183620.thumb.jpg.8cc51c4185f7355c0926b3aea4e78c2a.jpg

Leaky injector seal on cylinder No.2 fixed, the rest will have to wait as the rear suspension decided to go Cheech and Chong low rider today.
Had it on the ramp and snooped all the joints I could see and I suspect the right air spring as the left is following by equalisation.
Mot Saturday morning so I will lay it up until then and pull the system apart. At 178k I suspect wear and tear so nothing to loose looking.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, bobdisk said:

So thats what the stink of diesel was!!

Yes, I should have investigated a bit deeper last year as I had a couple of whiffs of diesel on occasion but decided to wait until the service was done as there were no visible leaks and nothing untoward when I did the fuel filter. Mot tomorrow morning, I am currently investigating  the self leveling rear suspension with a view to ripping it apart tomorrow.

20220624_181117.thumb.jpg.b0a964fc3dcddace1ab7c636086c0c6e.jpg

14 hours ago, yes oui si said:

Looks like it's at the height it should be :D

Collapsed is not a good look! 😔

Mot passed this morning, whatever is leaking now goes down quite quickly as it dropped sat on the Mot ramp. I have a repair kit on order for the pump so I will start there and work my way through the connections and assorted gubbins. 

7 hours ago, yes oui si said:

You just need to get the front sitting at the same height as the rear. 

I've got some adjustable lowering links for the w220, I just need to find the time to fit them. 

That would be like my trousers, low slung and racy!

I had planned to give the dampers a running in period then drop the front to the lowest setting and adjust the rear sensor to suit and work from there as I can machine new stepped spring platforms if needs be.

The air spring problem has scuppered my plans for other work that is more pressing, just a shame I can't park it up for a couple of weeks and drive the Volvo. 

My weekend plans for the suspension investigation went up right up the pictures as I developed food poisoning on Satuday. Off work at the moment so plenty of research done on the system.

Forced into using the car today, I checked the suspension would still rise OK. when I switched off I could hear a leak on the r/h hairbag. I'm intrigued to see if the leak is from the bladder being holed, the clamping rings or solenoid valve on the top. 

I removed the right hand air spring, took the outer gaitor off, refitted and searched for leaks. Mucho louderer snake noises once pumped up and the engine switched off, seems the bladder has outlived it's service life and the rust on any ferrous item is unbelievable.

I ordered a pair of Arnott air springs from Autodoc that cost nearly the same as the car. I will overhaul the compressor next week in preparation and use the Golf.

Next major job will likely be the propshaft centre bearing and that will entail refurbishing the rotting exhaust system hangers then the other 5 injector seals and bolts.

The joys.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:37 PM, Snake Charmer said:

My weekend plans for the suspension investigation went up right up the pictures as I developed food poisoning on Satuday. Off work at the moment so plenty of research done on the system.

The food poisoning developed into Campylobacter, now I have Covid so I'm off work for the second week and the compressor rebuild kit is at work so that has not been done. The air springs will be going there too as I expected to be back at work last Monday. 

Dammit!

Blew a load of 15A fuses Thursday by removing the USB adaptor that has been in the rear rubbish tray to the 4 gang cigarette lighter socket the previous owner had fitted under the dash. Instantly the seedy blue LED's in the 4 gang socket went out so I tried the front ashtray, then the load space. The darned adaptor had broken and shorted out when I removed it from the rear! It's only been in there working fine for a year. Bloody fuses everywhere, under the bonnet, end of the dashboard and in the load space 

A new auxilliary battery is on order as the old one is dated week 14 2004. The rear air springs arrived Friday to work. Not impressed with Autodoc using the latest iteration of Hermes. 

I discovered the secret dashboard menu today as I'm bored and trawling tinternet due to being off work with the Campylobacter and Covid. I also sneaked in to work and collected my compressor repair kit and Arnott rear air springs as I feel well enough to fit them. I moved the car Thursday during the epic fuse blowing saga, prior to that the rear had been sat on the bump stops for over a week and the darned thing was still pumped up this morning! Thankfully I could hear hissing from the r/h side on returning. That side will be on the receiving end of an engineering post mortem once removed.

1 hour ago, Snake Charmer said:

A nice black one was on Ebay with the same Designo Sand Nappa interior as mine but he described it as brown, £2250.

Link

It really is a lovely colour combo. 

Sorry if I've missed it, what kind of real world mpg are you getting? 

Reading this thread with interest as I'm about a month into W211 ownership albeit with a cylinder less than yours. 

Have you tried the SBC Stop function yet? I watched a 40 tips and tricks Vid for the W211 earlier and it mentioned it, discovered the SBC hold on the way home today which is nice, how noisy is your sbc pump when you unlock the car? Mine sounds like a cow mooing! 

1 hour ago, yes oui si said:

It really is a lovely colour combo. 

Sorry if I've missed it, what kind of real world mpg are you getting? 

Average was at 29mpg until I reset the trip,  partly due to my daily commute and driving it hard quite regularly. I have seen over 50mpg cruising on the motorway under 60mph, my missus was getting 45mpg easily up to Leicestershire last year and she refuses to use the cruise control.

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Reading this thread with interest as I'm about a month into W211 ownership albeit with a cylinder less than yours. 

Have you tried the SBC Stop function yet? I watched a 40 tips and tricks Vid for the W211 earlier and it mentioned it, discovered the SBC hold on the way home today which is nice, how noisy is your sbc pump when you unlock the car? Mine sounds like a cow mooing! 

Yes, I have tried the SBC Stop function,  a bit disconcerting! The SBC Hold I'm in the habit of selecting Neutral if stopped for any length of time as I've knocked the throttle a couple of times and found myself moving!

The hidden menu I found today gives a few extra bits of info, voltage, oil level in litres as opposed to the normal menu check, service schedules and dyno mode that switches the ABS and ESP off.

The Rest mode is nice in winter keeping the car warm whist beer shopping. Do you have the 6 CD changer in the dash? 

If you haven't done so, the chassis number check gives you all the options your car was ordered with. LINK

I'm still learning about the car, the handbook is useful but took a while to find, the rear armrest is not where I expected to find it.

13 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

Average was at 29mpg until I reset the trip,  partly due to my daily commute and driving it hard quite regularly. I have seen over 50mpg cruising on the motorway under 60mph, my missus was getting 45mpg easily up to Leicestershire last year and she refuses to use the cruise control.

Yes, I have tried the SBC Stop function,  a bit disconcerting! The SBC Hold I'm in the habit of selecting Neutral if stopped for any length of time as I've knocked the throttle a couple of times and found myself moving!

The hidden menu I found today gives a few extra bits of info, voltage, oil level in litres as opposed to the normal menu check, service schedules and dyno mode that switches the ABS and ESP off.

The Rest mode is nice in winter keeping the car warm whist beer shopping. Do you have the 6 CD changer in the dash? 

If you haven't done so, the chassis number check gives you all the options your car was ordered with. LINK

I'm still learning about the car, the handbook is useful but took a while to find, the rear armrest is not where I expected to find it.

Thanks, I was aware of the hidden menu and rest mode, I don't have the 6cd changer as I have an aftermarket android stereo in the car which I'm shortly changing for one of these 

Screenshot_20220710-084644_eBay.thumb.jpg.3b8123f057fb818174b05275d27644f6.jpg

Which I'll add a rear camera in the tailgate as its quite a long thing when trying to get it into tight spaces. 

I've not bothered doing the VIN check as it's pretty basic being classic spec so no heated seats or parking sensors or distronic but has a dropdown OE towbar and it's a 7 seater, which is a bonus. 

I have the glow plugs for mine sat on the bench in the garage, I've not mustered up the courage to try and change them yet. 

It clocked over 160000 miles today and is still running really well, the only thing I don't like is the engine noise is quite intrusive when cold. 

This was the YT link I watched, its quite informative 

Is the glowplug light coming on? Does the 5 cylinder suffer with the injector seals problem? I bought the seals and bolts from an Ebay Mercedes dealer sub £20, they list 5 cylinder sets. Congratulations on the tow bar, the fitting of mine is still not 100% finished wiring wise. 

Just now, Snake Charmer said:

Is the glowplug light coming on? Does the 5 cylinder suffer with the injector seals problem? I bought the seals and bolts from an Ebay Mercedes dealer sub £20, they list 5 cylinder sets. Congratulations on the tow bar, the fitting of mine is still not 100% finished wiring wise. 

Yeah the glow plug light comes on and stays on for around 30 seconds, I have checked resistance and there are a couple of duff ones, not sure about injector seals, all seems good and dry under the plastic, the car has masses of main dealer history. 

This is mine, bought off this very forum, I've removed the limo tints it was fitted with as I'm not a gangster and next step is to have the wheels refurbed. 

20220710_090906.thumb.jpg.199fd781abf4e54384ba0ba16b9f9cc2.jpg

There's a whole listing of wheel combinations in the handbook, I used that as a reference for mine to check offsets were similar to factory fitment. Lists Brabus and AMG.

That video link was useful, I need to look at why I cannot drop all 4 windows with key.

Mad dogs and Englishmen fit Arnott springs in the midday sun. My spanners have never been so hot!

20220710_112110.thumb.jpg.cd3cd08a6e395f40db7a99bb44f333ee.jpg

Air springs fitted and road tested. ✔️

Incorrect drivers door mirror glass wired to actually heat AND permanently delete fault code. ✔️

Seriously squeaky folding door mirrors given a thorough coat of looking at, lubricated and diagnosed. Now silent. ✔️

Complete test with iCarsoft CR Max and no codes present. ✔️

Cheesy grin fitted. ✔️

Panic over when air conditioning not blowing cold.  ✔️

Beer on. 👍

8 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Yes AMG 18's, I think the rear tyre profile is wrong at 255/35/18 but I'm not changing them until they are worn out and the speedo is bob on. 

Yeah they are wrong, a touch too slim. I had the same attitude towards them as the tyres are very recent so no point wasting money.

EDIT: I’m fairly certain they should be 265/35/18 as the identical wheels on a newer E class that they come from had this size as stock and looked good .

21 minutes ago, sims00 said:

Yeah they are wrong, a touch too slim. I had the same attitude towards them as the tyres are very recent so no point wasting money.

EDIT: I’m fairly certain they should be 265/35/18 as the identical wheels on a newer E class that they come from had this size as stock and looked good .

Lol at  265 section tyres, my 300bhp 200SX had 225's!

Re the 4 window thing the remote has to be pointed at the small IR receiver on the drivers door handle.