The grumpy thread

outlaw118

HI peeps and peepesses :D been away for a while but popped back for this. Did anyone know the Triumph 1300 that caused a fuss here was dead :!:

kdl6as.jpg

qqa3d1.jpg

What a real shame if the owners still on here can you tell us what happened as I had hoped it would live.

Bye Bye for now Freddie B.

It would've lived if I hadn't found all the bodges on the car. From the outside it looked good, until I prodded around...

The welding the previous owner done to put the car through an MOT was interesting to say the least, I could peel it away as the rot wasn't cut out underneath it. Both sills needed replacing, both inner wings, both front wings, both rear aches were full of filler and dented badly, it explains why the car was shiny when i got it, it had a blow over but with bad prepwork and rust spots where showing all over (hence why i treated them and matt blacked it)

Needless to say, im fucking gutted, so Im not in the mood for peoples comments right now.

The reason it was broken is because there was no way I could pay someone to do it, as i'm skint. So i broke it to save other cars and allow me to buy another and insure it. This Triumph has made me lose heart right now in owning a classic, especially owning one as your only car, as its easy to hide bodges.

Oh 'eck. This is going to get messy...

Yep, and I dont care. I got a life to live, no point getting wound up by morons on the tinterwebz.

Like he said above, I genuinely had no choice. I could've sold it as it is, and made what? £350 tops, what could i buy and insure for that? Nothing

Instead my running total is £985 from breaking it and I still have another couple of hundreds worth of parts to shift, aswell as all the stuff i'm giving away for free to help out others.

I could've sold it as it is, and made what? £350 tops...

Instead my running total is £985 from breaking it and I still have another couple of hundreds worth of parts to shift, aswell as all the stuff i'm giving away for free to help out others.

To be fair, with figures like that, all credit to you for trying to fix it in the first place. Could have just broken it as soon as you found a few bodges, and took the cash.

Still a pity to see it go, but they don't all last forever, do they?

Not knocking you chief, but if you can tell me how to get £985 from breaking a Triumph 1300 I'll buy very available 'spares or repairs' one I see.

Not knocking you chief, but if you can tell me how to get £985 from breaking a Triumph 1300 I'll buy very available 'spares or repairs' one I see.

I had some other spares too that came with the car, quick rundown:

Engine and box, hubs, driveshafts, few odds and ends £350

Exhaust, doors, boot and bonnet, £190

Spare gearbox £35

Headlights and sidelight units £80

Carb £40

Exhaust manifold £50

Plastic cowl round steering wheel and 1 piece of rear chrome £20

Lower steering column coupling £25

NOS lower ball joint £27

NOS ball joint rebuild kits, NOS track rod end and 3 ratty sprint wheels £45

NOS front wing £50

Rear lights £20

etc etc and various little bits i've sold. Bored typing now

I do intend to, but now I have a Volvo 740 estate, sensible, reliable, not rot prone. Its very tidy and very shiny, I even polished it today.

When money allows it, I will have another classic I think, but as a toy, so it doesn't matter when it needs repairing. Although we still have a 1986 mini on the drive that needs sorting out for when my fiance passes her test, so may just have that as my "bit of old", I do really miss the Triumph though, it is actually one of the only cars I actually got a bit upset over getting rid of it.

I just caught a fucking great spider crawling up the wall. I sprayed it with insecticide, which made it jump down from the wall - to give you an idea of the size of the fucker, I heard the thump when it hit the floor, over the noise of the computer. It's now run off and hid somewhere, I have no idea where. I hope insecticide also works as arachnicide - I really do not like big spiders.

In many ways I wish I'd stripped my Metro when I found myself staring into the sill back in 2004 rather than welding it up (I'd already welded some of the front); I could have used it as a donor for a far better bodyshell that had been engine-raped, so I understand about the Triumph.

I suppose the selling to breaking value ratio might not have been so big if it hadn't been painted all over with Hammerite though.

Why would that be? The paintwork under the black was shit anyway, so the colour is neither here nor there. These cars just aren't worth much, especially ones needing hidden bodges digging out and starting again. Not to mention the front wings aren't cheap, front valances don't exist anymore, then your looking at 2 rear arches, and inner sills. No one would give anymore that about £300- £400 maybe. Even so, I would be stuck with a car up for sale with the potential of no sale, so breaking it was the only choice for me sadly.

I*'ve broken moto-scat.com Oops.

It actually wasn't my fault at all, just so happens that the guy who hosts it (who's working* in the same room as me today at work) upgraded some php stuff, while I was backing up some php stuff to make sure moto-scat wouldn't be at risk if this kind of thing happened. And of course neither of us knew the other was dicking about.

For anyone who needs it to live, it will be back in a bit. We're just workign on getting it back how it was a couple of hours ago.

I've also broken my phone this afternoon byt upgrading that. I'm going to not upgrade anything else today.