The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Got up mega early this morning to go on a scrapyard mission. I wanted to remove the front struts from a Volvo 240 GLT in the local breakers, plus the rear anti-roll bar, plus a load of other bits that had been asked for by my chums over on the VOC forum. I had to take so many tools that I made use of a sack truck I have in the garage for carting crap with. Drove to the breakers, carefully set all my tools up on the sack truck and secured them with a bungee rope (LT being thorough for once shocker) Dragged the thing down to the bottom of the breakers to where the GLT was stood and.... the fecking thing had been crushed! ARSE BISCUITS!!! :evil::evil::evil::x:x:x

Can someone please explain to me the UK tabloids fascination in Jeremy Clarksons sex life? Why are they implying that he kept the existence of his first wife a secret? She was mentioned several times in his column in Performance Car (RIP).

Fuckstix. I took the CX in to Glasgow town from my parent's drive out in the stix to do some work on it at a friendly garage that allows some regulars to their own work on a weekend, anyway, the MOT is out (you can tell where this is going..) though it's still insured till March and I'd slapped a costly, thin beermat in the windscreen before the test was up in September, to keep moving it in and out the drive at the folks' a simple matter.

So, I'd 'booked' it in for 'MOT work' at the garage - no probs there and all was going swimmingly. I set off back to the cuntryside and noted that I was pretty hungry having not eaten much this morning, I cut into a services on the M74 at Bothwell only to notice a new addition to the sort of central reservation between the in and out roads to the carpark: a post there in the middle that you must go past as there's no U-turn possible, and topped off with beady, lensy, scope-like camera looking thingys what looks at all the grot what goes in (and out too it seems). I haven't been in that services for ages and this thing is new but I think it's some ANPR sort of weapon. No doubt it scanned my plates and indeed has now auto-issued a charge notice of sorts since I'm driving sans MOT. Now I know that the whole pre-booked MOT work and/or test is an appeal point for these situations but I understand the rules governing exemptions to no MOT use state something like 'you MUST drive directly from the test centre/ place of MOT work to your off-road location without stopping to refuel or ANYthing' so I guess I'm fukd....

So assuming the worst, what is the charge I'm going to get for driving without MOT (but still with tax and such) fine amount and points?

Jeez, there's always something fukd going on in my life......ugh...groan... especially since it's my faggin fault!

You'll be fine. You just need to remember that you were running out of fuel and that the car had overheated and it would be unsafe to carry on driving on the motorway.

You'll be fine. You just need to remember that you were running out of fuel and that the car had overheated and it would be unsafe to carry on driving on the motorway.

Haha! OK then! (I have a bad feeling about it - I think I'm going to get bent over the bonnet and pumped with the big 6-0)

Luxo: yes, that's right, it was overheating like fakk.

Bolloxki: Didn't mean it was auto issued as such - you never know though - just my turn of phrase there. O well, the £60 fine will deffo affect the quality of this year's Xmas gifts!

Someone I know got a letter from the DVLA asking why he was driving a car sans MOT on a certain date. He'd been picked up on some sort of ANPR camera. He sent a letter back saying he was booked in for an MOT then a few weeks later got another letter back saying that no further action was being taken. I think he was about 100 miles from home at the time too!

Pulling into a service station could be excusable if you were tired and needed a nap (always works, that one! Are they gonna say you should have driven while tired?) or needed a piss. The fuel idea may not work as they could say you should have had enough fuel to start with.

Don't even think about it until you get a letter though. I bet you won't hear anything anyway.

I've never heard of automated things for this either, it's more likely that these cameras are to get the plates of everyone entering the services for their own crime prevention purposes, petrol station drive-offs and suchlike.

In any case, you are allowed to refuel your car on the way to a pre-booked MOT, though I can't seem to find the evidence now - there's not a lot else you can do though, you can't call in at your mate's house or drop your gran at the bingo. There's so much nonsense out there about driving to an MOT it seems to cloud all the real info - you must drive to the nearest station (wrong), you can't drive on the motorway (rubbish), it must be a reasonable distance (the biggest myth - distance isn't a consideration at all and there's no way someone could legally enforce such woolly wording). Unfortunately, the police aren't very clued-up on it either, so there's loads of cases where fines have been dropped due to being completely incorrect and suchlike (sometimes before court, often after).

I always thought no mot was the least naughty thing to do. Would the insurance pay out if you had tax, insurance but no mot do you recon?

Hmm, kept thinking that my insurance isn't actually valid while the MOT is out..

I always thought no mot was the least naughty thing to do. Would the insurance pay out if you had tax, insurance but no mot do you recon?

If the mechanical condition of the untested vehicle was found to be the cause of the accident, then there might be a problem. Otherwise, I can't see a huge issue.

They would pay out the third party bit of the claim - they really have little choice over that. I can see them trying to weasel out of paying for any damage to your car caused while it was being driven without a test though.

Rode face first into a metal pole yesterday (dont ask!). Bloke who saw it rushed over with his wife convinced that with that much blood I'd be seriously hurt. Apart from putting my teeth through my lip, chipping an incisor and leaving a bump on my head I'm alright but I do feel a bit odd. Not concussed, have done that enough times in the past to know thats not it - suspect its realisation of my mortality as christ almighty it hurt!

Cheers Mr Wobbler! Face is OK, although I'm chugging through Nurofen right now, GlaxoSmithKline shares will do alright this week...

Son wants to go out bike riding (took him swimming earlier, big mistake as chlorine stung my wounds!) but the thought of getting on a bike is not particularly alluring right now.

And I got my car insurance renewal through. Another year of low mileage careful driving and my reward is a 20% increase in premium. No way am I going for that, but cant decide whether I hate the confused.com, go compare, or direct line adverts the most. Reckon Meerkats will be picking up a bit of commission.

Vans "Classic" slip ons. My last pair lasted me roughly 3 years until the canvas on top started to wear through and you could see my socks. Scruffy but useable. So in April (ish) I decided to invest in a new pair. And in less than 6 months I've worn through the SOLE at the heel of one and nearly gone through the bottom of the other. Comfy. :evil:

Hmm, kept thinking that my insurance isn't actually valid while the MOT is out..

To kind of echo what Mr Hirst was saying I think these cameras are operated by the Services themselves to check you don't overstay your 2 hours free parking allowance, as well as for on site security etc.

Not a grump yet.

This is Ms Carnes final album with EMI America, released in 1986. Except it was never released in CD format apart from a limited number in Japan, on EMI Toshiba. If you find an original, they go for ridiculous money.

220px-Kim_Carnes_-_Lighthouse.jpg

There's a Dutch seller with a sealed copy for sale on Amazon for £250. I just emailed him an offer of £150 as I really want to get my mitts on it. He'll probably say no..... so it's a pre-emptive grump. :(

Not a grump yet.

This is Ms Carnes final album with EMI America, released in 1986. Except it was never released in CD format apart from a limited number in Japan, on EMI Toshiba. If you find an original, they go for ridiculous money.

220px-Kim_Carnes_-_Lighthouse.jpg

There's a Dutch seller with a sealed copy for sale on Amazon for £250. I just emailed him an offer of £150 as I really want to get my mitts on it. He'll probably say no..... so it's a pre-emptive grump. :(

Utorrent is your friend.

My nan has been upset while out walking her beloved dog. They came across the body of another dog, it had been shaved in a random way and then judging by it's position and condition, it had been lobbed of a balcony off one of the high rise flats. :cry:

She thinks she recognises it as one of a pair of dogs that gets walked (i.e. let loose to harass everyone else) by a guy who's always off his face (drink and/or drugs). She saw him this afternoon with just one dog.

What makes it worse is she thinks he might have seen her looking at the other dog and that he might come and do something to her to her to keep her quiet (a bit unlikely but she lives alone and he knows where so she's panicking).

This incident makes me grumpy on so many levels :evil:

edit to correct spelling of "off" :oops: but you got my point.

My nan has been upset while out walking her beloved dog. They came across the body of another dog, it had been shaved in a random way and then judging by it's position and condition, it had been lobbed of a balcony of one of the high rise flats. :cry:

She thinks she recognises it as one of a pair of dogs that gets walked (i.e. let loose to harass everyone else) by a guy who's always off his face (drink and/or drugs). She saw him this afternoon with just one dog.

What makes it worse is she thinks he might have seen her looking at the other dog and that he might come and do something to her to her to keep her quiet (a bit unlikely but she lives alone and he knows where so she's panicking).

Absolute twat undeserving of life. I hope he dies a miserable death soon.

My nan has been upset while out walking her beloved dog. They came across the body of another dog, it had been shaved in a random way and then judging by it's position and condition, it had been lobbed of a balcony of one of the high rise flats. :cry:

Absolute twat undeserving of life. I hope he dies a miserable death soon.

RSPCA? They have new powers to sort this sort of thing now.

i really dont understand people who are cruel to animals

theres just no need for it :evil:

maybe an early morning raid is called for, with stunguns aimed at his nuts

later, back at the station, an intimate body cavity search may be needed too

I'm sure the individual involved has "Issues" and is working hard to address them and just needs help,

Some do gooder will say so anyway, people really make me sick sometimes.