The grumpy thread

outlaw118

40 minutes ago, loserone said:

Just another reason to drive the whole way

Definitely, but I have just found out you can check car seats into the Hold of the plane for free 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, loserone said:

Just another reason to drive the whole way

When my son was young we went to Canada for 3 weeks. We just went and  bought a booster seat when we got there and gave it to a charity shop when we left. Far cheaper than hiring one.

Normally we pay for the extra driver too. Last time I hired a car , I was on my own but noticed the cost for two cars (lowest grade) was almost the same as one car plus extra driver. The add ons for car hire are a total rip off.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, goosey said:

Definitely, but I have just found out you can check car seats into the Hold of the plane for free 

Yeah, flying with three kids, all the luggage, and three car seats is not something I want to do again.

Fucking curtains. 

A few weeks ago, I had to repair the curtain pole in Master Grogee's bedroom, where I am currently sleeping because Divorce. 

Master Grogee came in and demanded I wake up with a flourish of pulling the curtains and of course pulled it off the wall. 

I 'fixed' them again, except once again I couldn't drill through whatever was behind the plaster, even with my cobalt drill bits. WTF is it?! I presume an RSJ... 

Anyway my 'repair' was only about an inch deep because of this. 

Mrs Grogee comes around in her usual morning stomp and is similarly heavy handed, so once again they pull out of the wall. FFS. 

Even though it's my fault it would have been fine for anyone with an ounce of mechanical sympathy, of which Mrs G possesses none. 

They only had to hold on until the feckin house sale completes, eg a couple of months. 

FUMING. 

• Sad 4

12 minutes ago, grogee said:

Fucking curtains. 

A few weeks ago, I had to repair the curtain pole in Master Grogee's bedroom, where I am currently sleeping because Divorce. 

Master Grogee came in and demanded I wake up with a flourish of pulling the curtains and of course pulled it off the wall. 

I 'fixed' them again, except once again I couldn't drill through whatever was behind the plaster, even with my cobalt drill bits. WTF is it?! I presume an RSJ... 

Anyway my 'repair' was only about an inch deep because of this. 

Mrs Grogee comes around in her usual morning stomp and is similarly heavy handed, so once again they pull out of the wall. FFS. 

Even though it's my fault it would have been fine for anyone with an ounce of mechanical sympathy, of which Mrs G possesses none. 

They only had to hold on until the feckin house sale completes, eg a couple of months. 

FUMING. 

No more nails and tell them to never fucking touch it again? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grogee said:

Fucking curtains.

My mrs managed to do the same, by sitting on the sofa under the window without bothering to move the curtain that was draped over where she wanted to sit…

IMG_9330.jpeg.cf37a1900779798d0f12866f29a6d6a9.jpeg

Didn't help that whoever put it up used about a quarter of a rawl plug and didn’t screw the rods or brackets together.

It’s on the list to be patched up, when I can be bothered.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

BBC Scotland had an article about the fans in gathering in Munich. “There’s a real buzz etc etc cliche , cliche.”

There were a few people milling around. For a midday in a major city, I would have said it looked unusually quiet, but let’s not spoil what passes for journalism these days with facts.

Yes, keep the football to the actual match broadcasts. I hate the shots of fans in pubs  “going wild” when a goal is scored in particular.

It is probably fans arriving for the Taylor Momsen (Pretty Reckless) concert.

5 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

When my son was young we went to Canada for 3 weeks. We just went and  bought a booster seat when we got there and gave it to a charity shop when we left. Far cheaper than hiring one.

Normally we pay for the extra driver too. Last time I hired a car , I was on my own but noticed the cost for two cars (lowest grade) was almost the same as one car plus extra driver. The add ons for car hire are a total rip off.

How does that work? Pick up car at airport. Travel in car to shop, with no booster seats.  Go to charity shop, drop the booster seat off. Drive sans booster seat to airport.  So risks were taken to save a few quid.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

How does that work? Pick up car at airport. Travel in car to shop, with no booster seats.  Go to charity shop, drop the booster seat off. Drive sans booster seat to airport.  So risks were taken to save a few quid.

Picked the car up in city, Vancouver, got a taxi from the airport. Spent a few days in the city before needing a car. Taxis don’t normally have booster seats either but what can you do?

I really really really REALLY fucking despise dealing with wreckers on Facebook. You ask for some parts. 10 of them pop up. 5 of them are saying I don’t have all of it/have something random mildly related. 4 them will say “I have it” snd then dully proceed to ignore the question “how much” or phonecalls on the phone number they fucking posted. 1 will reply with the price, but will never read the message or pick up the phone.

Fuck the fucking fuck off, bunch of mouthbreathing idiots. How do you even stay in the business and make money?

• Sad 2

Cannot stand living back in Middlesbrough for a moment longer, end of July I’m determined to move back to County Durham

tonights fun, A19 Tees Flyover I was going 70 and I saw a golf full of young lads come flying up behind me at well over 100

balloons in their mouth etc and on the phone 

somehow didn’t hit me, a combination of me absolutely booting it and I suspect the auto emergency braking in the Golf as I saw the driver looking at the passenger the whole time 

I hate driving the XM in Teesside, nearly lost it tonight and I know something will happen to it

im actually very pissed off about that

led me to have a slightly unpopular opinion 

I think it’s good pretty much all moderns have auto emergency braking and with the way people drive I can’t wait for self driving cars

not feeling the best today anyway

18 hours ago, IronStar said:

I really really really REALLY fucking despise dealing with wreckers on Facebook. You ask for some parts. 10 of them pop up. 5 of them are saying I don’t have all of it/have something random mildly related. 4 them will say “I have it” snd then dully proceed to ignore the question “how much” or phonecalls on the phone number they fucking posted. 1 will reply with the price, but will never read the message or pick up the phone.

Fuck the fucking fuck off, bunch of mouthbreathing idiots. How do you even stay in the business and make money?

Dear God this is still going. I’m looking for a very specific “high” radio for Bravo that supports CD Changer so I can plug in Bluetooth dongle. I added a photo in the OP stating I’m looking this specific radio. Not a random one that went in. Specific. 
i’ve been offered at least 15 so far from the few wreckers that have been so kind to answer the phone or read a message. 
Answers on the postcard how many of these are the one I’m looking for.

18 hours ago, IronStar said:

Stopped dealing with breakers years ago , nearly new prices for worn out shite and attitude to match , I use the local parts shop that supplies the local garages and local people now . 

• Like 3

IMG_3119.jpeg

"I'm only changing the pads" he cried
"You'll need these then, sonny boy"
Discs x 2
Backing plates x 2
New handbrake shoes x 4
Expander x 1
Fitting kit.
The misery, the misery :-) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mad Jean in doom shock. Jean messages the Mrs. that dad has lost his marbles / memory and has been pushing her.

Hmmm. Talked with idiot sister who knows how the social worker game works / what options are. Talked with Mrs's brother, and plan is contact out of hours social workers and get them both assessed today. What we actually got is SW phoned Jean, chat later they're going to send out normal social workers tomorrow.

Jean then wants Mrs to go to Whitby right now, as she needs someone to talk to. Er, no, you can talk on the phone rather than a 2 hour drive later. Dad rings up to say thanks for dad day stuff, and appears totally rational. Jean does usual drone on about people who died 20 years ago etc.

7pm Jean tries for well can't the Mrs. get on a bus right now and go? Yeah, there's a 24 hour bus service, oh wait no there isn't.

We're at a total loss as to what is really going on. All we have is Mad Jean's word, and she's not the most reliable of witnesses. Have told her if she's genuinely in fear phone cops and wait for them to fire up the sectioning machine. Not sure who would get the room with rubber wallpaper. Going to be a long night.

Had an old friend visit over the weekend, not seen for years because he lives in Australia.  Was great to see him, hasn't changed, had a fun time etc. 

But he hasn't changed at all. What's funny and not a big deal in a young man without responsibilities seems childish and selfish in a man in his forties with a wife and kids.

And now I'm grumpy and a bit sad because one of my oldest friends is a bit of a twat really.

Maybe he was just trying to be that same good old tosser of a mate he was 20 years ago so you both had a good time?
Or maybe he's not changed but you have?
Or maybe Oz just does that to you?

7E5573BE-F8E2-4949-8BC1-4B24F4D7D0B3.jpeg.ad697cd4dafe256f4fe5a00f74f85bc9.jpeg

Had it 5 mins and I’ve already got bag of shit peacocks climbing all over it 

4 hours ago, Pieman said:

Can you roast peacock?  Bet it's miles better than turkey.

Yes but don't overdo it or you end up with Crisp- oh nevermind! 

6 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Yes but don't overdo it or you end up with Crisp- oh nevermind! 

Get OUT! 😆

• Haha 3

While a day-long Virgin outage is great for not having to do work, it also does get in the bloody way, quite a lot.

7 minutes ago, goosey said:

1F161516-5083-42E7-AE77-DD34E685C6AC.jpeg.822d2ba8c285b58b5c966622fa3013dc.jpeg

this was at just the right height to jab me in the balls 

Look on the bright side, if you were a dwarf you’d be blind in one eye instead??

2 hours ago, Markeh said:

While a day-long Virgin outage is great for not having to do work, it also does get in the bloody way, quite a lot.

They're hard to find in Essex too.  Or so I hear.

32 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

They're hard to find in Essex too.  Or so I hear.

I thought it was Cardiff?

(the old Welsh RareBit joke) 😉

• Haha 1

On today’s menu:

In my city there are multiple streets with the same name, and I live in one of them. The namesake one is across the city, 30 minutes drive away. Guess which one my package went to, for the umpteenth time, despite me telling the sender to state part of the city I’m in when sending? Delivery company’s take? Oh, sorry, we’ll get it to you tomorrow. Full price for the next day delivery, no sorry we fucked up and delayed it for a day. 🙄

In other news, the very useful guy that worked in the parts store has quit, and has inevitably been replaced with “I need a VIN to sell you parts” guy. He has all the details he needs, has the parts, but wants VIN to confirm. For a car made in ‘98. 🤦

• Sad 3